U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:45 AM

2,182 posts, read 5,304,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I judge people relative to the situation or the reason I am in contact with them.

If I were hiring someone to drive me to the airport or dig a sewer line on my property, I would pay attention to different things than I would if I were hiring him/her to represent my company at a trade show, or be a receptionist at my office.
You are right. If I was hiring someone to work for me I would want them to be able to do the job. I was just thinking about would I want them as a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 12:13 PM

4,837 posts, read 7,598,320 times
Shoes? I thought the leather most women were concerned with was used to make a wallet.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 PM

9,166 posts, read 16,519,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
What kind of assumptions would you make(from shoes)?

My sisters said there's a difference between a quality shoe and and a flashy shoe (for men). Cost doesn't always mean quality- you could be just paying for a name. And quality usually takes a skilled eye. Things like that, that you can extrapolate into other areas of their lives.
First off, we all know that assumptions are often wrong. But I could write several pages on what shoes indicate about a person -- condition of the shoes, type of shoes, cleanliness of shoes, brand of shoes, type of wear on the shoes, whether they're kept polished or not, style of shoes, even the color. Many people put a lot of thought into the shoes they purchase, and if they don't, that tells something about them too. I started to make a list, but I quickly saw that the list was going to be way too long. I also know that shoes are not an indicator of a person's goodness in any way. They can tell me a lot about the person but nothing of much importance.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:37 PM

1,776 posts, read 3,542,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
First off, we all know that assumptions are often wrong. But I could write several pages on what shoes indicate about a person -- condition of the shoes, type of shoes, cleanliness of shoes, brand of shoes, type of wear on the shoes, whether they're kept polished or not, style of shoes, even the color. Many people put a lot of thought into the shoes they purchase, and if they don't, that tells something about them too. I started to make a list, but I quickly saw that the list was going to be way too long. I also know that shoes are not an indicator of a person's goodness in any way. They can tell me a lot about the person but nothing of much importance.
Assumption was the wrong word. And you are right, in the end it doesn't reveal their heart condition either, which is ultimately the most important. Nonetheless it's an interesting way to tell something about a person without talking to them.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,963,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My foolproof way is the waiter test. Watch how somebody treats the waiter, for in six months that's how that person will be treating you.

I like that, and agree with it. As I think about, it really is ringing true.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:13 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,569,222 times
I look at a person's car. Not the TYPE OF or COST....but whether it is clean or not. I will lose respect in a minute if someone has a messy smelly car. When I used to date a lot, it was the first sign to me of whether I was going to like a person or not.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:13 PM

3,469 posts, read 6,936,522 times
I think that to a point, the way people choose to present themselves can say something about who they are. However, looks can be deceiving, and it isn't smart to read too much into it. If someone has nice shoes, then it usually means they simply have good taste in shoes

Old 01-26-2009, 04:23 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
no, shoes dont matter when first meeting someone.

but i would notice the attention they paid to hygeine and over all presentation.

but what is really important is:
being a hard worker
being honest
being loyal
making me laugh

theres other stuff, but rarely is it superficial or physical.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 PM

439 posts, read 1,499,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
For me its eye contact and the way they speak - i.e., their use of correct grammar and the way they pronounce their words. You can tell a lot about a person by just listening to them speak.
Agreed. I notice that, and I also pay attention to their over-all cleanliness. Are they dressed sloppy? Does their hair look like it hasn't been washed in days? Etc.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 AM

1,771 posts, read 2,348,842 times
I agree about speech, though I don't really run into people who are a disaster in that department. I am not a fan of the like, you know, OMG types, though, I must say. If one is that amazed about everything he or she cannot be overly brilliant.

For me the number one factor has to be teeth. Maybe it's from having braces for three years a long time ago; I'm super picky about them. To me it's not that hard to make them look at least decent. I couldn't believe how many people on American Idol this season have YELLOW teeth and let them show on national television! That is the total worst. At least spring for the whitening toothpaste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or