U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:20 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,421,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
My sisters have told me you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes. They size men up by their shoes- quality of the shoe, condition of it, etc. It's not the tell all, but you can start there.

Is there anything else that you use to assess people, such as shoes or a car? Not necessarily the cost of these things, but the condition, style, etc.

Or maybe it's something physical like finger nails, teeth, hairstyle?
No. When they open their mouthpiece to let their brain thoughts air out...yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:44 AM

66 posts, read 166,351 times
People who judge others by the clothes people wear or cars they drive are blind in my opinion. walk into any internet company and you're sure to have Phd's and engineers wearing sandals and Iron maiden T-shirts or whatever they found when they rolled out of bed that morning, commanding $150,000.00 salaries and driving BMW's/MB's or Kia Spectra's and Honda Civics... I work with 5 guys like that.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:47 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,320,637 times
OJ Simpson had nice, expensive shoes.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:29 AM

8,812 posts, read 9,631,609 times
and then you have people who use that to their advantage, how people perceive them base on their appearance, I might be one them. For instance I do have a pair of shoes I came to own that cost well out of my income range (over $1000.00) I only wear them when I think they give me a slight edge with people who don't know me. I also have designer suits and ties I wear for the same reason. I really just like quality clothes and learned to thrift shop were the wealthy people live. But I notice how people greet you as a stranger when you're are wearing $3000.00 like it ain't no thang. I'm the opposite of folksy millionaires who drive used Ford F150's. We all are just pretending ....aren't we?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 AM

791 posts, read 1,203,639 times
Howard Hughes later in life dressed like a bum and wore bedroom slippers.......so does Hugh Hefner...... Johnny Depp and most actors .... most musicians, and most union workers dress like the slobs their mothers raised......everybody dresses down because its comfortable....

Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,165,766 times
When I was dating, I did look at a guy's shoes. My husband remembers our first date and I told him to lose the shoes because they are not him. He responded by saying something like yeah they're not my style my brother got them for me because he wants to change my style. I could tell the shoes were making him uncomfortable and awkward. After that he relaxed and changed back to his style of shoes.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:51 AM

7,371 posts, read 12,326,282 times
I don't pay much attention to the worth of shoes, but I do think rather poorly of people who wear shoes inappropriate to the venue, such as wearing flip flops or sneakers to a decent restaurant.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 AM

1,936 posts, read 3,240,827 times
Quote:
They size men up by their shoes
Interesting you say this because my girlfriend said she looked a lot at my shoes when we first met in an attempt to "size me up".

I told her it wasn't a bad move, because we've all heard the well-known story that big feet = big shoes.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:06 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,837,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
My mother used to say that she could determine someone's level of education by listening to them speak.
I am a grammar and syntax "jerk." I completely judge people by the level of their grammar and how they speak.

It's one think to speak informally and even with slangs but another to sound uneducated. I for one happen to communicate better in writing than through speech, but I'm extremely anal about proper writing. Friends have told me that I write overly formal emails, and I tend to revise them before hitting "send." But I pride myself in proper writing and also believe that speaking correct, proper English is important, both in personal and professional settings. And yes, I do believe it says a lot about one's level of education and culture.

I'm a book lover myself - maybe that's why I stress correct grammar, syntax, spelling, etc.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:07 AM

8,680 posts, read 12,851,932 times
Quote:
My sisters have told me you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes. They size men up by their shoes- quality of the shoe, condition of it, etc. It's not the tell all, but you can start there.

Is there anything else that you use to assess people, such as shoes or a car? Not necessarily the cost of these things, but the condition, style, etc.

Or maybe it's something physical like finger nails, teeth, hairstyle?
I once mentioned the shoe thing to some coworkers when I was living in Hawaii. One of the locals said, "Well, the first thing would be 'Is he even wearing any?'"

That killed me, but it's true. And you can always tell who grew up on the mainland by how skinny their feet were. If you grow up in flip-flops and not "toe-pinch" shoes, your feet turn out much wider.

Me? I go by teeth. They don't have to be perfectly straight, nor do they have to be laser-blasted white, but they do have to be clean and well-maintained. Brown teeth with a thick layer of tartar and plaque along the gumline and obvious periodontal disease will send me in the other direction. Sounds trite, but your smile is your best accessory!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or