U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2017, 11:14 AM
 
3 posts, read 985 times
Reputation: 21

Advertisements

I'm really self conscious about my teeth. My mother took tetracycline when she was pregnant with my brother and I. As a result we have really strong, but discolored teeth. They're not hideous by any means but they are not white. On the other hand, my shoes kick ass!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2017, 11:55 AM
 
3,576 posts, read 1,066,136 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
My sisters have told me you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes. They size men up by their shoes- quality of the shoe, condition of it, etc. It's not the tell all, but you can start there.

Is there anything else that you use to assess people
Their thoughts and actions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,337 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Reputation: 22585
Personality and actions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 12:19 PM
 
Location: The Jar
20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times
Reputation: 36712
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
My sisters have told me you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes. They size men up by their shoes- quality of the shoe, condition of it, etc. It's not the tell all, but you can start there.

Is there anything else that you use to assess people, such as shoes or a car? Not necessarily the cost of these things, but the condition, style, etc.

Or maybe it's something physical like finger nails, teeth, hairstyle?
Overly dirty shoes, cars, clothing, teeth, body? Yeah, usually doesn't translate well.

Now, if you have a "dirty job" or something like that, no biggie.

If you just don't give a flip, well, it makes me think you are shiftless and inconsiderate of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 12:21 PM
 
1,481 posts, read 591,143 times
Reputation: 3764
I assess people by what they say. Unless they have something really offensive going on, like horrible B.O. or deadly halitosis, assessing them on anything else is just shallow snobbery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 12:52 PM
 
3,576 posts, read 1,066,136 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Overly dirty shoes, cars, clothing, teeth, body? Yeah, usually doesn't translate well.

Now, if you have a "dirty job" or something like that, no biggie.

If you just don't give a flip, well, it makes me think you are shiftless and inconsiderate of others.
No
It does not "make you think"
Beauty, as well as shiftlessness, is in the mind of the beholder, not in the clothing of the beheld.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 01:06 PM
 
Location: The Jar
20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times
Reputation: 36712
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I assess people by what they say. Unless they have something really offensive going on, like horrible B.O. or deadly halitosis, assessing them on anything else is just shallow snobbery.
Yes. This is exactly what I meant but poorly articulated .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 01:31 PM
 
6,709 posts, read 2,608,873 times
Reputation: 18247
So sometimes you have to make an IMMEDIATE shallow assessment of a person.

So if you're at a starbucks and you go to leave and your car is blocked in. You're in a hurry and you will have to guess who in the store might have driven the very upscale very clean car blocking you. OR, who drove the old beater, shoes might be a good way to narrow down the driver that matches that car.

I can't imagine taking anyone's shoes into account to judge them for any other purpose than that.

Last edited by ClaraC; 12-31-2017 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 03:34 PM
 
Location: The Jar
20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times
Reputation: 36712
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So sometimes you have to make an IMMEDIATE shallow assessment of a person.

So if you're at a starbucks and you go to leave and your car is blocked in. You're in a hurry and you will have to guess who in the store might have driven the very upscale very clean car blocking you. OR, who drove the old beater, shoes might be a good way to narrow down the driver that matches that car.

I can't imagine taking anyone's shoes into account to judge them for any other purpose than that.
Some people are good profilers, and some are not.

Some people are huge hypocrites, and passive aggressives-- while others are honest and upfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2018, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Nevada
742 posts, read 228,811 times
Reputation: 1454
I think a lot depends on where you are in life.

The ex was extremely particular. Teeth whiteners, only certain brand name clothes and shoes, haircuts every 2-3 weeks, etc. Maybe at some point as he moved up the corporate ladder, I started to embarrass him. It's not that I was ever slovenly or dirty - far from it. I always made an effort to look nice, but I couldn't care less if my clothes were from Wal-mart or Neiman Marcus.

Now that we retired and then divorced, I don't give a rat's patoot about any of it. When I was doing OLD, I did try to look nice, but I refuse to spend a lot of money on clothes or shoes. I don't get manicures on the regular anymore - why? I have pets, so probably drag along some of their fur everywhere I go, lint brushes or not.

I'm still feminine, wear some makeup, but I don't go overboard.

Maybe that was why some coffee dates never went anywhere. Oh well. They lost out on a loving and sexual mate, based on superficial garbage that had nothing to do with my character and ethics and loyalty. So be it.

However, fair is fair. My SO (found through OLD) isn't a metrosexual clothes horse. His teeth are clean and breath is fine, but he doesn't care about artificial whitening crap. I'm happy and so is he, I think.

You can make snap judgements on clothes or shoes or haircuts, or choose to look deeper. Your call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top