U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 04:24 AM

3,576 posts, read 1,067,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
You can make snap judgements on clothes or shoes or haircuts, or choose to look deeper. Your call.
Everyone makes assumptions - we have to to survive.

The trouble begins when one assumes that their assumptions are correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 07:48 AM

1,688 posts, read 2,019,631 times
I am getting new shoes today!!!

Old 01-02-2018, 10:44 AM

17,235 posts, read 14,821,251 times
I don't even notice people's shoes normally.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:33 AM

1,609 posts, read 689,306 times
When I first met my wife she once told me that if a women wears dirty shoes (as in filthy) in public, it usually means she is "dirty" every place else on her body. Yes, even tennis shoes/sneakers. That thought has been ingrained in my mind for years.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,400 posts, read 50,602,810 times
Why would anyone look down at someones feet? I have never even thought of looking at anyone's shoes, I really don't care what anyone has on their feet.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:34 AM

1,018 posts, read 386,517 times
First is hygiene, teeth, cloths, overall appearance as long as they are well kept.

Next is what they say or lake of. If they refuse to engage in conversation you know they are hiding something. If they talk like a know it all, they are full of it.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:00 AM

72,694 posts, read 64,172,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't even notice people's shoes normally.
Yeah, honestly, I always thought that fixating on shoes was an E European thing. Back in the day, in Russia, walking down the street, everyone was always checking out everyone else's shoes. I've never seen that anywhere else. But now the secret's out, thanks to C-D! Shoes are a barometer of character! Who knew?

I've developed podiatry issues, so I wear Birkenstocks, because they're orthopedic, and allow my podiatrist to custom-alter the footbed for my needs. What does that communicate about me, to all the shoe-assessors out there in public? I shudder to think. Just crumple me up and throw me away, I guess.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:24 PM

34,563 posts, read 42,724,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
My sisters have told me you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes. They size men up by their shoes- quality of the shoe, condition of it, etc. It's not the tell all, but you can start there.

Is there anything else that you use to assess people, such as shoes or a car? Not necessarily the cost of these things, but the condition, style, etc.

Or maybe it's something physical like finger nails, teeth, hairstyle?
For me, I think it is personal grooming. Things like a good haircut, straight, well cared for teeth, trimmed fingernails, etc. Clothing can be telling, but for example, here in the south, men live in sandals and shorts, so although there are upscale versions of these, itís not a good gauge.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 PM

2,447 posts, read 1,052,471 times
I tend not to judge a book by its cover so no I don't assess people by their shoes or anything else they wear or carry. Like another poster mentioned I find the waiter test a better means to find out what sort a person someone is.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:20 PM

233 posts, read 285,441 times
I look to see how they treat others.

I used to be that guy that would sigh heavily while waiting in line at the store register. That was many-many years ago and have since realized that it does absolutely nothing but make me look like an azz, raise my blood pressure, and make it uncomfortable for others around me.

Now, I just wait patiently and when it is my turn I smile. I am usually offered a "thank you for your patience" and my standard reply is "no worries! getting impatient does nothing to help the situation and besides, I don't need to raise my BP".
Ironically, I never was mean to the wait-staff, not because I wasn't upset, I just didn't want anyone to spit in my food! HAHA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or