U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2009, 02:52 PM
 
Location: So Cal
38,756 posts, read 37,929,773 times
Reputation: 39576

Advertisements

I've noticed through the years in dealing with people that you've never met before about how you imagine them to look like. I remember when time I used to deal with this person on the phone for work purposes and I had this image of her as being an overweight blonde. There wasn't anything about her voice that made me think that about her. I don't know just strange I guess. When I finally met her we had a couple of drinks during happy hour and I told her what I thought she'd look like, she actually got kinda pissed for a few minutes, then she just laughed about it.

She was a thin brunette.


I've also noticed that I have these ideas about how people here on CD look. I've been surprised by a couple and a couple my image of them seemed pretty spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2009, 02:55 PM
 
Location: CA
3,469 posts, read 6,936,522 times
Reputation: 4779
Yeah I do that too on my job.... I can be totally off on age too. Some people sound younger or older than they are.
Even funnier is when I have seen photos of them on business cards or whatever and they still look different in person, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 02:56 PM
 
Location: In my skin
8,868 posts, read 13,847,311 times
Reputation: 8720
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Yeah I do that too on my job.... I can be totally off on age too. Some people sound younger or older than they are.
Even funnier is when I have seen photos of them on business cards or whatever and they still look different in person, haha.
Ha. I do that all the time. It can be pretty funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 03:00 PM
 
12,439 posts, read 13,091,627 times
Reputation: 8888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've noticed through the years in dealing with people that you've never met before about how you imagine them to look like. I remember when time I used to deal with this person on the phone for work purposes and I had this image of her as being an overweight blonde. There wasn't anything about her voice that made me think that about her. I don't know just strange I guess. When I finally met her we had a couple of drinks during happy hour and I told her what I thought she'd look like, she actually got kinda pissed for a few minutes, then she just laughed about it.

She was a thin brunette.


I've also noticed that I have these ideas about how people here on CD look. I've been surprised by a couple and a couple my image of them seemed pretty spot on.
i interviewed for an out-of-state job over the phone a few years ago, and was hired, without ever seeing or meeting my supervisor in person. Her voice was very courteous, professional, I found out later she had won several awards when she had worked in phone positions. The questions she asked were spot on and excellent.

In person, it was a whole other story, no one she had ever worked with stayed very long. I stayed the full year of the contract, but the previous five people before me left within months. One of them literally was carried out of the building on a stretcher. I found out later someone else had written the interview questions for her.

Totally different experience in person than over the phone with her. Had I interviewed in person, I would have picked up on a whole other set of cues, signals, body language, and valuable information. I'm still glad I took the job, last I heard NO ONE would agree to work with her and she had all supervisory duties removed from her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
16,227 posts, read 21,985,147 times
Reputation: 23996
This makes me think of those 900#`s that people call, to get their kicks. lol... On the commercials that I have seen, they sound sexy and all that, but in reality, you never know what this person looks like on the other end.
Thats why I enjoy the thread on what do you look like. It puts a face on their name.I don`t know how to do it, or I would, just for fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 03:15 PM
 
23,907 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Reputation: 28539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've also noticed that I have these ideas about how people here on CD look. I've been surprised by a couple and a couple my image of them seemed pretty spot on.
I think I'm always surprised. I don't know what exactly triggers the mental image, but yeah, there is always one there. And I don't think mine have ever been spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
283 posts, read 658,772 times
Reputation: 188
I'm always surprised on city-data. I often think someone is a man and they turn out to be a woman. That's always weird. Sometimes I don't want to imagine what the posters look like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 05:11 PM
 
Location: So Cal
38,756 posts, read 37,929,773 times
Reputation: 39576
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrals View Post
I'm always surprised on city-data. I often think someone is a man and they turn out to be a woman. That's always weird. Sometimes I don't want to imagine what the posters look like
Or if they're dressed when at their computers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
283 posts, read 658,772 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Or if they're dressed when at their computers.
oh thanks for that one, now i have another thing to stay clear of imagining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 07:18 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,211,008 times
Reputation: 7378
Well, since you will not post a pic, I have no idea what you look like Chow, so I will have to go with my original assumption...

Do I look like you thought I would? Almost afraid to ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top