Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:46 AM

456 posts, read 1,396,541 times

Advertisements

This is, of course, a generalization. I have noticed myself that it varies from region to region. Much more prevalent, I think, in huge cities or in extremely rural areas. (E.g. email messages, IM's, texting, etc.)

Still, I have noticed that these days more and more people seem to not place as high a value on face-to-face, person-to-person interaction as people once did. I am only forty-seven, but today I feel like one of those old-timers reminiscing about the past.

What do you think? What gives? Are we too busy for each other? Are we burned out from working long hours? Are we afraid of each other? Are we finding it easier to interact at a distance?

In my own life, I have met some truly wonderful people at work, church, poetry readings/open mics, and online. But most of the folks I've encountered online seem to have every intention of keeping it online.

Again, what do you think? What's your take on this? Your story?

Last edited by 2goldens; 02-15-2009 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics to Relationships
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 02:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Yes it seems that way.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:37 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
I think so, yes.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:39 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Yes. I think we have been for quite some time.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:42 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
I've met many people that I knew online first. And I use FB to keep in touch with many of my relations. For me, it's a great convenience. But it doesn't detract from my real-life relationships...it simply adds to them.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:49 PM

647 posts, read 2,082,768 times
I"ve noticed this as well. Even at work, it seems like communication by email is becoming the preferred method. I've gone months without seeing certain people face to face. I still prefer face to face, or, at least phone conversation.

I guess a lot of people like the anonymity of the internet, even so far as to create our "online" version of ourselves in some cases. I always am just a bit suspicious of folks anyway online because It's easy to fabricate yourself. Who knows, I may not really be who I appear to be on these message boards...

Old 02-15-2009, 02:57 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Sometimes I prefer to interact online.

It is just easier to control the conversation.

You get on the phone you can end up on the phone for hours.

Honestly I don't have that kind of time to spend on one thing non stop.

There are a couple of people I have in mind in particular that when I get on the phone w/them I cannot get off.

Meanwhile my kids are tearing up the house.

And if I tell them I'll call them back when the kids are asleep I have only to look forward to my whole evening, when I am supposed to be relaxing and regaining my sanity, sucked up by a telephone conversation.

So, yes, there are times when I prefer to interact online.

If I want to interact w/someone personally, I would rather go and visit them if possible.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:01 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I do both. At least I try to.

Sometimes anonymity has advantages.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:21 PM

378 posts, read 772,131 times
Also, it's an antidote for folks, like moi , suffering from an occasional "foot-in-the-mouth" disorder.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:10 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,037,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
This is, of course, a generalization. I have noticed myself that it varies from region to region. Much more prevalent, I think, in huge cities or in extremely rural areas. (E.g. email messages, IM's, texting, etc.)

Still, I have noticed that these days more and more people seem to not place as high a value on face-to-face, person-to-person interaction as people once did. I am only forty-seven, but today I feel like one of those old-timers reminiscing about the past.

What do you think? What gives? Are we too busy for each other? Are we burned out from working long hours? Are we afraid of each other? Are we finding it easier to interact at a distance?

In my own life, I have met some truly wonderful people at work, church, poetry readings/open mics, and online. But most of the folks I've encountered online seem to have every intention of keeping it online.

Again, what do you think? What's your take on this? Your story?

You know I think people always gravitate towards the easiest thing to do. It's so easy to type up a profile and start talking to 500 people. ha, if your a girl with a hot pic well right away you got lots of messages in your inbox to make you feel like a mini celeb.

Anyhow, I came on CD to LEARN about different states as well as have some type of stimulating conversation with "somebody" because I could not find it in the streets.

I'm constantly learning and I like to read and talk about things but when I go into the real world few people can hold a conversation for a long time with me unless it's about sports, Hollywood or something to do with there boring job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology