U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:23 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,850,978 times

Advertisements

Has anyone taken them? Are any of them close to being accurate? Which one did you use?

I've taken it twice online and got a 16 point difference between the two (1st time was about 2 years ago [130]. Tried again last night[146])

It just seems that they cant be too accurate but I dont know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 07:34 AM

32,114 posts, read 39,199,960 times
Not real accurate. IQ is just a snapshot anyway. A 16 point deviation is about right for those. A valid IQ test will take about 4 hours. The on-line ones are fun and I use them as a teaching tool when my Psych classes are studying Testing and Intelligence.
Don't worry about it.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not real accurate. IQ is just a snapshot anyway. A 16 point deviation is about right for those. A valid IQ test will take about 4 hours. The on-line ones are fun and I use them as a teaching tool when my Psych classes are studying Testing and Intelligence.
Don't worry about it.
Thanks. I figured they cant be too accurate just didnt know if the results being off that far was normal.

They are fun to play around with, though.

Saw the online Mensa workout/sample test thing as well. Thought that one was a little more difficult.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 AM

239 posts, read 309,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Has anyone taken them? Are any of them close to being accurate? Which one did you use?

I've taken it twice online and got a 16 point difference between the two (1st time was about 2 years ago [130]. Tried again last night[146])

It just seems that they cant be too accurate but I dont know.
They aren't accurate at all, not even close. A real IQ test is done by a professional, requires hundreds if not thousands, and takes 4+ hours.
These online IQ tests are why people these days all tell you their iq is 130+. I swear the % of geniuses jumped 50% with the advent of these sites.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:55 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,897,226 times
They are fun to take. I found it amazing that since it has been over 50 years since I scored high on one given in High School, the on-line tests have me scoring about 20 to 30 points higher. I guess it's true that old folks are smarter.....right?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:13 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,852,275 times
I've never taken an IQ test - not in school and not outside of school. I've taken silly personality tests at some companies where I worked, but that's an aside. Does anyone know why IQ tests are/were given?

Last edited by fjtee; 02-20-2009 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: restructured sentence

Old 02-20-2009, 02:21 PM

5,411 posts, read 9,562,699 times
IQ tests were originally developed over a hundred years ago in France as a predictor of at-risk learners. They have since evolved. Frankly, the actual full-scale score is probably the least useful piece of information one gets from an IQ evaluation.

I'm curious as to whether the OP would have started this thread if his online IQ score had dropped from 130 to 114.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,797,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
They are fun to take. I found it amazing that since it has been over 50 years since I scored high on one given in High School, the on-line tests have me scoring about 20 to 30 points higher. I guess it's true that old folks are smarter.....right?
While we're definitely smarter (), I believe that IQ scores actually drop as you age. That has nothing to do with intelligence but, rather, with the tests' scoring models.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
IQ tests were originally developed over a hundred years ago in France as a predictor of at-risk learners. They have since evolved. Frankly, the actual full-scale score is probably the least useful piece of information one gets from an IQ evaluation.

I'm curious as to whether the OP would have started this thread if his online IQ score had dropped from 130 to 114.
Sure. Why not? I dont know anyone here. These arent really accurate either.

Not trying to come off as smart or anything. Hell I only got a 1090 on the SAT (took it one time, sophmore year in high school [1998], figured that was good enough to get into one of the schools I wanted to go to)

Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 AM

528 posts, read 968,126 times
They aren't accurate. I've taken a few and I've scored 130+ multiple times. Believe me. If I were a genius I wouldn't have such a hard time multiplying two digit numbers in my head and the images in Magic Eye would come easy to me. I know that most online IQ tests rate you on a scale determined by how others online takers score. That isn't the most scientific and valid scale. I assume most people attempt it, realize it takes longer than 5 minutes and then log off the site, therefore making anyone who actually has the time to complete the test a genus.

Oh, and if you're lame enough to apply to Mensa, you score is probably inflated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology