U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:15 PM

2,751 posts, read 4,711,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
My dad told me to punch bullies in the nose- and I did. Saved me a lot of grief.
Yeah, for boys at least that seems to work best. I learned at a young age that bullies were cowards, trying to prove something to themselves most of all. If they find out that you are not an easy mark they will soon move onto another. Look at it this way, if every time you pushed a button a hammer came out of the wall and clonked you on top of the head, pretty soon you're going to think twice before pushing that same button again.

But these days, with rampant cowardice and easy access to weapons of all sorts it's not so simple. You can give a bully a righteous beating and wake to find your house on fire that night. It's hard to raise kids with a good sense of right and wrong when all around them they see that might makes right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 05:16 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,078,193 times
I wasn't "bullied", but I was made fun of.

I was very skinny and my folks didn't have much money to buy me the "in"clothes (when I attended a school that had a dress code).

When I attended a private school where we wore uniforms all of us would get "bullied" on the public bus when the kids from the local public high school would get on. Nothing like getting someone's gum spit into your hair.

Oddly enough, I recently joined one of those social networking sites and have reconnected with a lot of people I went to school with. I can't believe how fat (and the guys are balding) everyone's gotten. I'm still skinny, but I can afford better clothes now. I'd take my situation over there's any day!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:21 PM

23,931 posts, read 31,158,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1972 View Post
Anybody else bullied?
Yes...also in the 7th grade. Physically bullied to the point I went home one day with large bruises on my arm. Unfortunately I was never a "follow the crowd" kinda gal...and I never kissed up to anyone or pretended to like something just to be cool or in a clique. And I was a new kid (had just moved from another state) and an A student to boot...so I was a prime target. I was targeted for weeks, but I was determined to not let them rattle me. Finally they all ganged up on me one day and I couldn't do much about that.

However my parents handled it marvelously. They noticed the bruises, got the names out of me, called the one parent that they could locate (who of course denied that their darling daughter could be a party to such deeds ), and the very next morning marched straight into the principals office (w/o my knowledge). There were about 7 girls involved, and I heard all of them called to the office that morning, over the speaker...and then I knew. The principals and teachers were great. All of the parents were called, and the girls all admitted their guilt. And every single one apologized to me later that day. Funny thing is, one of them ended up being my best friend in high school.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:24 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,254,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
As unpopular as this may be, I told my kids they are never to start a fight but I expect them to finish it...

My dad taught us this lesson and it served my brother well.
in the elementary school I attended, there were 3 options:
report being bullied to a teacher, and get in trouble for "tattling," even if the bullying included physical violence;
defend yourself, and get in worse trouble for that;
or simply tolerate it.

in numerous incidents over the years, I picked the third option.
when it started in High School, I tolerated it for a long time, and then I dropped out of school.

I personally believe it's the school staff's responsibility to supervise kids, and make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:26 PM

3,901 posts, read 4,408,100 times
I wasnt but whenever i saw it i would get angry as hell seeing these cowards either physically or mentally or sometimes both screw arond with some harmless kid and ruin his life at the time..To me u have to be a sociopath to f with someone to the point they no longer want to live..

Though i dont think its healthy at all to still harbor animosity from what happend as a kid into your adult years, it does u no good and they win

Plus not to stick up for bullies but im sure theres plenty who are completely different people now that theye grown up and probably feel bad or forgot about what they did as a child or tenenager,we all did things we regret when we were younger in different ways..

Old 04-03-2009, 05:28 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,216,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post
in the elementary school I attended, there were 3 options:
report being bullied to a teacher, and get in trouble for "tattling," even if the bullying included physical violence;
defend yourself, and get in worse trouble for that;
or simply tolerate it.

in numerous incidents over the years, I picked the third option.
when it started in High School, I tolerated it for a long time, and then I dropped out of school.

I personally believe it's the school staff's responsibility to supervise kids, and make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen.
We had an issue with a kid being terribly ugly to my son this year and the guidance counselor called me to get me up to speed on the situation that occurred that day.

After I heard the details I told her my kids were instructed to end the fights any way they needed to and if my son had to defend himself physically I did not want a call from the school telling me my son had been disciplined...

The other kid was recently expelled from school for various offenses.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
We had an issue with a kid being terribly ugly to my son this year and the guidance counselor called me to get me up to speed on the situation that occurred that day.

After I heard the details I told her my kids were instructed to end the fights any way they needed to and if my son had to defend himself physically I did not want a call from the school telling me my son had been disciplined...

The other kid was recently expelled from school for various offenses.
I hope you're dealing with a cooperative school staff... your child's education and his approach to his education depends on it... situations like this are ones where the best course of action is to let the school know that you're the parent and you won't tolerate your son being mistreated in school.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,216,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post
I hope you're dealing with a cooperative school staff... your child's education and his approach to his education depends on it... situations like this are ones where the best course of action is to let the school know that you're the parent and you won't tolerate your son being mistreated in school.
Oh yes! the school's admin and teaching staff are great!! The kid who was giving him a hard time is gone!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:38 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,536,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes...also in the 7th grade. Physically bullied to the point I went home one day with large bruises on my arm. Unfortunately I was never a "follow the crowd" kinda gal...and I never kissed up to anyone or pretended to like something just to be cool or in a clique. And I was a new kid (had just moved from another state) and an A student to boot...so I was a prime target. I was targeted for weeks, but I was determined to not let them rattle me. Finally they all ganged up on me one day and I couldn't do much about that.

However my parents handled it marvelously. They noticed the bruises, got the names out of me, called the one parent that they could locate (who of course denied that their darling daughter could be a party to such deeds ), and the very next morning marched straight into the principals office (w/o my knowledge). There were about 7 girls involved, and I heard all of them called to the office that morning, over the speaker...and then I knew. The principals and teachers were great. All of the parents were called, and the girls all admitted their guilt. And every single one apologized to me later that day. Funny thing is, one of them ended up being my best friend in high school.
Great story.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Oh yes! the school's admin and teaching staff are great!! The kid who was giving him a hard time is gone!

right on! I'm glad to hear it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or