U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:50 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,346,583 times

Advertisements

I was never bullied at all, never picked on in anything but a joking manner. I really didn't care what anyone else thought of me growing up. I am much more sensitive now than I was growing up. My brother, however was bullied quite a bit. He was beaten up and teased for being tall skinny and smart. I wound up defending him a lot and trying to keep him near my circle of friends to protect him. Even though I am his little sister I am very protective of him. To this day he is a different person than he was before he was bullied. I think it really took a lot out of him. I really can't believe the things that kids said and did to him. It really broke my heart. He is a really good guy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 02:50 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,211,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Martha View Post
I was never bullied at all, never picked on in anything but a joking manner. I really didn't care what anyone else thought of me growing up. I am much more sensitive now than I was growing up. My brother, however was bullied quite a bit. He was beaten up and teased for being tall skinny and smart. I wound up defending him a lot and trying to keep him near my circle of friends to protect him. Even though I am his little sister I am very protective of him. To this day he is a different person than he was before he was bullied. I think it really took a lot out of him. I really can't believe the things that kids said and did to him. It really broke my heart. He is a really good guy!
Martha, where the heck have you been?

Old 04-07-2009, 02:51 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,346,583 times
It's a long story, but basically, my son came down with ALL, my daughter was born, we are selling our house and just moved into a really nice 3 level apartment! Oh and I've been going to school full time too! How are you doing?

Old 04-07-2009, 02:52 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,211,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Martha View Post
It's a long story, but basically, my son came down with ALL, my daughter was born, we are selling our house and just moved into a really nice 3 level apartment! Oh and I've been going to school full time too! How are you doing?
In other words, you've had all the free time in the world. What's ALL?

Old 04-07-2009, 03:14 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
i think there is a difference between laughing with and laughing at.

its seems most people here got laughed at, and if you ask these people i dont think they would consider any of their tormentors friends.

also, not all guys bully. yes we men do joke around quite a bit, particulalry in homosocial environments like boarding or all-boys schools, in the army, at the frathouse, etc, but there is a line between what is bullying and what is joking/fun.

where im from there werent really bullies. there was no ganging up on people. thats not how we did things. it was either one on one, or a rumble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
geez, i was bullied now and then but nothing seriously long because a fight happened one way or the other. but all guys bully each other all the time. friends do it too. that's what men do, we poke fun at each other and it starts at a young age.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:02 PM

549 posts, read 1,690,774 times
OK, I have one. When I was a freshmen in high school, I sat with my freshmen friends in lunch. Well, one group was throwing crap at my friends. They didn't say anything and neither did I... till some hard candy hit the back of my head. I picked it up, faced who was throwing stuff at us, saw it was the giant of the school (he was around 6ft, 180lbs or so while I was 5'6 and 120lbs), and threw it back at him. Now, it's WHERE I threw it that saved my life. I threw the candy at his belly to avoid the rage of what could've been. He stood up, got in my face, and a security guy walked by us. I thanked my lucky stars and became invisible for a few days. No damage (physically or emotionally).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
As unpopular as this may be, I told my kids they are never to start a fight but I expect them to finish it...
My mom told my brother and me the same thing. It's good advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Thats ok though....me and my friends ganged up on them, and set their butts in one too! Not the big one though.
LOL

Old 04-07-2009, 06:48 PM

16,477 posts, read 20,009,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Aww, that is sad I agree children can be very cruel.
NO animal can be more cruel to its own kind than the human being. Not just children.

I don't even want to talk about the bullying I went through in high school, it's too painful, even to this day. But when invitations were sent out for my first high school reunion, I wrote and told them never, ever send me another invitation. I told them the wrong person was bullied, I never forgive and never forget.

I read the book on the bullied kid in Pearl, Mississippi who went on a shooting rampage there some years ago, and I so identified with him. I hold the school responsible for those killings, anyone with eyes and ears in that school should have seen how tortured that kid was. After reading that book, I am so thankful my parents never owned a gun.

Last edited by tijlover; 04-07-2009 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 04-07-2009, 07:12 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,144,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I was pretty small in middle school, and got to the age where I started getting picked on. My dad said, "You know what? All you need to do is get in one good punch, and they'll leave you alone. Because bullies are really p*ssies who are looking for easy targets."

So, one day, after school, this kid name Benny started in on me, and I actually pulled the "Hey, Benny, how many fingers am I holding up?" trick, and landed a savage haymaker on his nose. I then sat on his chest like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story" and beat the absolute crap out of him--while his friends looked on. I finally got off him and said, "God, you're stupid." Nobody ever picked on me again.
Good on ya! (I know, violence isn't the way!)

Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 PM

3,877 posts, read 4,404,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
NO animal can be more cruel to its own kind than the human being. Not just children.

I don't even want to talk about the bullying I went through in high school, it's too painful, even to this day. But when invitations were sent out for my first high school reunion, I wrote and told them never, ever send me another invitation. I told them the wrong person was bullied, I never forgive and never forget.

I read the book on the bullied kid in Pearl, Mississippi who went on a shooting rampage there some years ago, and I so identified with him. I hold the school responsible for those killings, anyone with eyes and ears in that school should have seen how tortured that kid was. After reading that book, I am so thankful my parents never owned a gun.
I have no respect for those idiots who take out people in schools including innocent ones,if your bullied punch someobdy in the face or somethign even take a bat a and try to break their legs but to kill numerous people over it is awful and an even more cowardly act..

Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,342,766 times
I was bullied in Junior High School, and I hated every moment of it. The only satisfaction I got was finding out one of my tormentors became a drug addict. I saw him in the street begging for cash and I started a conversation with him, and just as he asked me for money I reminded him of all of the terrible things he did and I told him the only way I would loan him the cash was if he could guarantee me that the next hit he took would cause him to OD. I know its a cruel thing to say, but how often are you in the position to get back at someone like that? I had to take advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or