U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Probably a lot of people are like myself.... they don't like to be around spoiled brats that think the whole world revolves around them and the parents who let them do whatever they want, scream, yell, run into people in stores, disruptive behavior in restaurants, at movies etc.

I like well behaved kids, which seem to be the minority these days and I actually like a lot of teenagers.
Aren't there adults like that?

Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,722,489 times
It's funny, because most of the "not very nice" posts I've read are from people who believe that there's something wrong with people who don't like / don't want to be around children.

Funny, that.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:52 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
i resemble that remark.
WC Fields did not like dogs or children. they didnt like him much either.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:42 AM

5,115 posts, read 10,033,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Aren't there adults like that?
LOL, well I rarely have adults running into me while shopping for groceries or in a bookstore, neither do adults usually start screaming at the top of their lungs in a restaurant, throwing food etc.

Aside from that, no one thinks you are not "very nice" if you don't like certain adults, yet somehow people expect you should like their little ill behaved monsters...

I'll never forget the time we were in a restaurant, a couple was there with their 3 to 4 year old son, who kept screaming and throwing tantrums. ALL the other people dining gave them looks, yet they proceeded to act as if nothing were wrong, not even once telling their little darling to be quiet. They ruined everyone's dinner, who was in that place paying to have a nice dinner. If your children can't behave, please keep them out of nice restaurants. Many parents these days seem to not want to be "parents", but play companions or friends to their offspring. Kids need boundaries. Letting them think they can do anything they please, is not doing them a favor - those kids will be in for a rude awakening when they grow up.

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-20-2009, 07:53 AM

Eh, I had someone throwing a fit on me when I worked for a Subway. He told me to call the cops--so I did! They came and trespassed him, took him right out of the building. People are trying to enjoy their meal, they don't need that crud.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 AM

5,115 posts, read 10,033,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Eh, I had someone throwing a fit on me when I worked for a Subway. He told me to call the cops--so I did! They came and trespassed him, took him right out of the building. People are trying to enjoy their meal, they don't need that crud.
But see, no one here would tell you that you HAVE TO LIKE this jerk... yet people will think you are a horrible person if you want to enjoy your meal without interruptions from misbehaving kids The funny thing is how many people have told me that they love/like their own kids but not other kids. Hmmm....

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-20-2009, 04:54 PM

"Because MY kids are different. MY kids are little angels." Um, right.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:48 PM

620 posts, read 1,588,071 times
Interesting thread. I'm guilty of saying that I hate kids, but that's because it's usually the quickest way to get people to leave me alone sometimes lol. In fact, I do dislike most of the children I have been around, but I couldn't honestly say that I hate or even dislike all children; I don't know them all. It's really the bad -- or annoying -- behavior that comes along with most that I come into contact with that makes me crazy. I have to admit that I tend to like babies, though. Not in the way that being around one makes me want to become a mother, but I do find many of them cute. I'll admit it!

Having rambled on a bit, I will add that I am a huge animal lover. I'll ooh and aah over a puppy (or a kitten or a ferret or...well, you get the idea) before I take the slightest interest in most children who are past infancy. As for whether I'm a nice person or not: That would definitely depend on who you're asking. I can be pretty darn nice. Or not. It just depends. Of course, there are those who may have an immediate, negative opinion about me based on the fact that I'll readily admit that I'm not much of a kid person at all. That's all right, though, because I won't lose any sleep over it.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:13 PM

4,968 posts, read 13,999,451 times
I like well behaved children....as long as they're someone elses. My parenting energy lasts about 48 hours max....then I'm done. Nieces and nephews are great....they visit, we have fun, they go home. All the fun of spending time with kids but none of the long term repsonsibility. I love being the fun aunt. But if a child misbehaves at my house, I WILL discipline them. The kids know this and keep coming back to visit.

I definitely consider myself an impatient person. And I'm selfish with my time. However, I am told by friends and family that I am a very giving person. Of course, the giving and efforts are when I have time and not when someone else (a child) puts demands on it.

I am a dog lover. The commitment to care for and love a dog is about as close to parenting as I'll ever get.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
I think I'm just the opposite of most of the dog lovers who dislike kids. I like most kids. They make me smile, and I'm kind of a kid magnet. Dogs, on the other hand ... don't care for them. I don't hate them, and there are a couple I genuinely like, but for the most part I have no use for them. A few of them just disgust me. I grew up with dogs and have owned three as an adult, but I just have no interest in or connection with them at all.

So, dog lovers, do you recoil at the thought of me or think, "Huh. That's weird"? Do you just not get how anyone could not like dogs? It's probably just the same feeling that people who like kids have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or