U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 PM

620 posts, read 1,589,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
So, dog lovers, do you recoil at the thought of me or think, "Huh. That's weird"? Do you just not get how anyone could not like dogs? It's probably just the same feeling that people who like kids have.
Well, I'm one of the dog lovers and I never said that it wasn't the same feeling. It just doesn't matter to me if people approve or disapprove of the feelings I have when it comes to children so I never even ask myself, "Is this the same feeling people who like kids have?"

Having said that, no, I don't think it's weird at all and I definitely don't recoil at the thought of you. I know plenty of people, some in my immediate family, who are not too fond of animals at ALL. And I'm not even talking just dogs here, lol. Does a part of me think, "But how could anyone not love them?" Sure. But it's only a fleeting thought and I've even laughed about it with some of them before. Speaking in the general sense: If you love dogs, great! We have something in common. If you don't care for dogs, fine. Maybe we'll have something else in common. If not, that's fine, too.

But that's just me and the "eh, whatever" way I tend to roll when it comes to many things. Maybe some other dog lovers will be able to chime in and answer your questions better. Hopefully, anyway.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:06 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,326,292 times
Why is it "not nice" to be an impatient person? Impatience is actually why I think I have a problem with kids. They need patient attention, and I'm not patient. I'm hyper--I like to make things happen. I like to have things happen. Five minutes on hold drives me nuts. It's simply a matter of temperament.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:31 AM

525 posts, read 919,811 times
I don't have children. I do not hate children. When I see a misbehaved child I do not get mad at the child or hate the child I am mad at the parent!!!!! And at times I feel hate for the parent because they are allowing bad behavior and they are allowing another piece of crap to enter the planet. I actually feel bad for the child.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:23 AM

1,771 posts, read 2,352,414 times
I dislike children and I would classify myself as "too nice." I don't complain about things in public unless they're b-a-d, I give to animal organizations, I care about the environment. I write thank you notes. I love my country. Children are just the one thing I would rather not be around.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:24 PM

63 posts, read 331,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are people who dislike children generally 'not very nice?'
Yes. My mother-in-law is that way. She NEVER calls her grandson (our son) and has never given him a birthday, christmas - NOTHING - gift and he's 5 years old! She's a narcissist, and thinks that everyone should cater to her. While my husband was growing up, her method of discipline was to beat the cr*p out of him. Yet he will defend her to the end - I think he's still afraid of her. It causes a lot of arguments between us when he makes excuses for her, after I ask him to talk to her about her rudeness and ill-manners.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:28 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,968,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryU404 View Post
Yes. My mother-in-law is that way. She NEVER calls her grandson (our son) and has never given him a birthday, christmas - NOTHING - gift and he's 5 years old! She's a narcissist, and thinks that everyone should cater to her. While my husband was growing up, her method of discipline was to beat the cr*p out of him. Yet he will defend her to the end - I think he's still afraid of her. It causes a lot of arguments between us when he makes excuses for her, after I ask him to talk to her about her rudeness and ill-manners.
So? You shouldnt expect someone to give presents to your kid just because they're related to him.
Maybe she just doesnt know what to do with him? Or what to get him? I wouldnt know what to do with a 5 year old kid.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 PM

2,257 posts, read 1,726,732 times
Why is wanting to be away from children such a bad thing? I don't hate children, but I don't particularly like being around them (sorry).

If only childfree communities existed in this country....I'd move to one in a heartbeat.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:47 PM

63 posts, read 331,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
So? You shouldnt expect someone to give presents to your kid just because they're related to him.
Maybe she just doesnt know what to do with him? Or what to get him? I wouldnt know what to do with a 5 year old kid.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but I'm not expecting my third cousin twice removed on my great-grandfather's side to give him a gift. This is his grandmother for crying out loud. We give her gifts from him. Is it too much to reciprocate? She has asked me to accompany her to help pick out gifts for her other son's child! She has given gifts to her friends' children. She knows how, when and what to give to those she wants to impress. Like I said - she's narcissistic.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:29 PM

2,757 posts, read 2,602,011 times
When we were kids, we hated ourselves, I guess.

I think because most kids have a tendency to wear their emotions on their sleeve is why some are bugged by them. They say whatever they're thinking, damn the consequences, and if they're feeling a certain way, they will let the whole of the nearby population know this in no uncertain terms.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:54 AM

4,384 posts, read 5,302,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
Why is wanting to be away from children such a bad thing? I don't hate children, but I don't particularly like being around them (sorry).

If only childfree communities existed in this country....I'd move to one in a heartbeat.
I agree with that. Hanging around people who aren't parents, anyway, is a lot more interesting. I swear even my casual Facebook friends from high school who have kids already (ugg) make CONSTANT Facebook status updates about their kids. A few of them, I'd say it's 50% of their updates. And they are always boring. "Ella just burped after eating her cheerios. Ha!" Umm... who cares? I farted while reading a book, so what? Is that cute? No. It isn't. Nobody cares. Don't update Facebook with crap like that.

Also I don't like to have to listen to screaming kids. Unfortunately it's even worse for me lately because I haven't gotten my hypothyroidism under control, so I'm sometimes more fatigued and sensitive to stimulus than other times, i.e. light, loud noises, cold temperatures, and things like that irritate me more than they should normally. The other day I was having a business meeting at Starbucks and this kid, well old enough to know better, maybe 5 or 6 (!), just started screaming, and not in the "I'm unhappy take me home way," he thought it was funny! He had a big smile on his face, his mom was right there, and she said nothing. Not a damn thing. She just went about her business, drank a bit of coffee, that was that. They left about 10 minutes later after this kid had been screaming at the top of his lungs ever minute or less. When he left, I already felt a headache coming on, and I said to my employee, "Wow, thank god, that was hurting my head!" She has two younger kids, and she was like, "Haha, just wait until you have your own!" Uhh, I'm not having my own. Why would you just assume everyone wants something that horrible to happen to them? It's like seeing someone doing drugs on the street, "Ha, just wait until you do them, it's brutal!" Uhh no I won't make that mistake, thank you very much. No interest!

I never want to get into those discussions with ANY employees, avoid religion, politics, philosophy, etc. with employees if at all possible. But she pushed the issue, like, "Really? Well you'll change your mind." You know, if I said that to someone who said they wanted kids, "You do? You'll change your mind!" they would be angry about it, so why can they say that crap to me? I'm nearly 27, I'm not changing my mind. Your mind is already well formed by your mid-20s, at the latest, and while people do change, your basic values and ideals aren't going to change.

I do not hate kids, though, actually. I've worked with kids during Tae-Kwon-Do and I understand how to be patient with them, and do my best, but I have to admit that I lose interest in the ones who don't try. If a kid keeps trying, and listens to me, I'll keep doing my best to teach them, even if they aren't making fast progress. But if you are picking your nose and ignoring me, I'll ignore you too. Those kids won't continue TKD anyway, no use wasting your time with them. I think public school is this way too, and it's exactly the way it should be, but people complain. "Well some kids get more attention than others!" No s**t! They should get more attention, they actually have promise! You have to realize it's like a hospital that has a massive incoming group of wounded soldiers -- triage. You pick the ones you can save, and let the rest go. Public school is the same thing. Not all kids can be astronauts when they grow up. Just focus on the winners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or