U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-05-2009, 08:21 AM
 
3,628 posts, read 9,034,916 times
Reputation: 2013

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Hate is obviously a bad thing. But it is part of the human condition nevertheless.
but because you hate teh children! you hate everyone else in the world!!!!!!!!!!!



 
Old 09-05-2009, 11:57 AM
 
Location: CA
2,464 posts, read 5,693,297 times
Reputation: 2587
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Hate is obviously a bad thing. But it is part of the human condition nevertheless.
Oh, good grief. That type of attitude is why some of us cerebrally evolve and others don't. Embrace our hate because it's part of the "human condition"... give me a break.

I can't understand where you are coming from Samston. You and I are clearly two entirely different beings. I at least, have faith enough in the human condition to know, that if we wanted to, we could move beyond unjustified hostility (in regard to subjects of which we don't understand or relate to - children, races, etc.). No one has to love children, but you could at least make an attempt to comprehend that they are in the infancy of their developmental stage and have not yet learned the social niceties/cues. To dislike them for something that they cannot help is not their fault... it's yours. You, and all the other PWHC, are responsible for your own thoughts/sentiments.

You have my sympathy Samston, for not realizing the error of your ways.
 
Old 09-05-2009, 12:21 PM
 
383 posts, read 669,712 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
However, I do not understand how people can dislike children. I will not go as far as to say that PWDC are bad people, I just don't understand how can anyone not like them! Children are the most precious, innocent human beings on this earth, who are still learning and absorbing this world. PWDC should not be anywhere near children if they can help it. Children do not need any negative vibes around them, as it is this world is cruel. I don't even know why I brought my child into this cruel world that's not getting any better, but yet again, it wasn't me, it was God's choice.
Children can be the most cruel beings out there. They're manipulative and can easily fool you if you're not careful.
 
Old 09-05-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,827 posts, read 39,473,952 times
Reputation: 48645
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
It's odd for me sometimes, I was adopted, and my adoptive mother always has told me that when she found out she was infertile it was the most DEVASTATING thing to ever happen to her, because what she wanted most in life was to be a mother, etc.

I'm around the age now that she was when she began pursuing fertility treatments (that were ultimately unsuccessful) and....wow....I just can't comprehend going through the trouble that she did to try to have kids. Obviously, the end result was the adoption of me, but still...

For one, I can't imagine even TRYING to have kids for another decade at least (I'll be in my mid-30s), and furthermore it just seems to me that if I did have trouble conceiving, I wouldn't go through hurdles to have a child. I'd just look at it as something I won't have to deal with, and one that gets me more alone time with my husband. In fact, if I were to become unexpectedly pregnant NOW, I don't even think I'd go through with having the child...just not right for me at the moment (here comes the flaming...).
No flaming, here. I just found out, in my early thirties, that I have a congenital reproductive abnormality that could compromise my ability to carry a fetus to term (no fertility issues, but a significantly large possibility that pregnancy will not remain viable and the likelihood of miscarriage is higher than the likelihood of no miscarriage). This is devastating for me, as my SO and I have looked toward starting our family in the next couple of years. I have always wanted to be a parent. I have no doubt that I will, given the number of adoptable children.

Everyone is different. My SO and I love our life together. But we both are of the same mind that we will not have the family life we would most want for ourselves unless we become parents, whether that happens with biological children, or not.

It's sad to me that so many people have such dislike for children. I can fully understand not choosing to have children, even if I don't identify with the choice, myself. Not everyone wants to be a parent, and not everyone SHOULD be a parent. But I don't even pretend to understand hatred for children. It seems emotionally unstable.
 
Old 09-05-2009, 01:04 PM
 
9,907 posts, read 5,753,007 times
Reputation: 9854
The "hate" thing is mostly hyperbole. It's more like saying you hate hip hop music or avacados, so you just want to avoid those things. And it's primarily behavorial - people dislike how children are allowed to behave and the impact it has on everyone. In today's society there's little chance of avoiding children so people can get pretty frazzled. That's what this supposed hate is about.
 
Old 09-05-2009, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Arizona High Desert
4,636 posts, read 4,952,889 times
Reputation: 2741
I don't need to sit with a "goo goo ga ga" in order to connect with my inner child. Obviously, I never lost contact with mine. Children are like dogs. Some dogs will hump your leg, and others will scoot their bottoms along a rug when you have a room full of company. That makes me laugh harder than rug rat antics.
 
Old 09-05-2009, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,827 posts, read 39,473,952 times
Reputation: 48645
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The "hate" thing is mostly hyperbole. It's more like saying you hate hip hop music or avacados, so you just want to avoid those things. And it's primarily behavorial - people dislike how children are allowed to behave and the impact it has on everyone. In today's society there's little chance of avoiding children so people can get pretty frazzled. That's what this supposed hate is about.
It's less bizarre to ascribe hatred to an inanimate object than to an entire grouping of human beings with diverse personalities and feelings, overall. Just an opinion.

It's deemed acceptable to say, "I hate children," for some reason, whereas if you say, "I hate Jews" or "I hate people with cancer," or "I hate senior citizens," or "I hate gay people," people (rightly) view you as a hatemonger nutbag.

If you hate avocados, does it spur bitter, angry invectives when you are confronted with their presence in a grocery store? Doubtful. But it sure seems to be the case when somebody who hates children is confronted with their presence in the same grocery store, no?

The thread asks, "Are people who dislike children generally not very nice?" The answer is, "They may be perceived that way," because of exactly this - when you display hatred for fellow human beings, you're looked on as hateful. When you display strong dislike for fellow human beings, you're perceived as not very nice. Just the way it is.

The bottom line: People, overall, find positive people to be "nice." People who have a strong distaste for other humans oftentimes come off as negative people.
 
Old 09-05-2009, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Arizona High Desert
4,636 posts, read 4,952,889 times
Reputation: 2741
I do believe that women get more guff from society when we don't especially like children, or put them on a pedestal, or actually have any. We are considered damaged genetically, because women are "supposed to" want the joy of motherhood. Some do, many do not. Just be Glad that we don't all reproduce. The screaming in restaurants and stores would be horrendous !
 
Old 09-05-2009, 01:27 PM
 
943 posts, read 1,976,833 times
Reputation: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not making any judgments myself, but people like this are often portrayed as self-centered, impatient and not very warm. Of course hating any group for no good reason is probably not a good thing, but have you noticed this in general? I know some of the meanest people can still like babies or puppies or something, but I get the idea that some people who say they dislike children are rather serious, and have lost their innocence in a way. Of course some may just say they and dislike them on a very superficial level, but I also think they have forgotten the child within them, and maybe need to re-connect with that.
I used to love kids and worked with them, never could have any of my own...

but here is what happens to people...

1. They have lack of contact with children so get unused to them. This happens a lot to the childless old.

2. People get health problems that make the noise and rambuctiousness of children kind of scary. This is true of me. I stayed at hotel even some years ago when visiting nieces and nephews, I was still able to travel and love them but couldnt handle the activity for 24-7.

3. Some people had such a bad childhood or abusive one, they avoid children, becuase it triggers memories or envy of childhood they didnt get.

4. Some people do not know how to talk to children nor relate to them, or find it unenjoyable--for whatever reason. Some people are uncomfortable playing in front of other adults even to entertain the kids or talking in baby talk.

5. I was on a board for people that called themselves CHILDFREE, they did not want kids. I thought someone who could not have children for medical and financial reasons would be welcomed. I wasnt. They really were proud of their "I refuse to have children" flag, so those of us who could not have children were ousted from that camp. I found some of them to be kind of ornery and sure I related to their tales of the kiddies making noise, having annoying parents that spoiled and helicoptered over them-, juvenile delinquents--I used to work with violent-gang-incarcerated, diagnosed sociopathic and other severe mental disorder kids so I know how bad it can get, and more but there was a bad undercurrent where I wanted to say hey YOU WERE A KID ONCE. There was a real misanthropic attitude to it all. Google Child Free if you want to see what I am talking about.
 
Old 09-05-2009, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Arizona High Desert
4,636 posts, read 4,952,889 times
Reputation: 2741
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
A lot of kids are just weird. I can see what some of the posters are getting at.
Especially when they have big heads shaped like brussel sprouts with lots of veins !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top