U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:57 PM

179 posts, read 541,909 times

Advertisements

I don't like children or dogs and I'm a very friendly and compassionate person. It's not like I go out of my way to make children cry or hit dogs with my car or anything. I can tolerate them. I just prefer to not have them around.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:58 PM

25,165 posts, read 48,321,748 times
I think it's weird, cold, and callous. Those negative behaviors and attitudes from adults is what makes children into monsters and then into callous and cold adults.

People do not seem to appreciate the silliness, fun, and joy that children bring to adult's lives and to our society.

I don't have kids or plan to adopt, however, I remember some adults in my family appreciating me and validating my personality, while others were aloof and appeared resentful of me. I always thought the aloof and resentful adults were creeps.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:01 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,189,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
What's positive? Childhood is a very brief stage in life, though today's helicopter parents seem to want to extend that stage until the kid is in their 20s. Except for some of the innate traits that will later define 'character', childhood is pretty much the same as for most species: a learning/acquiring skills-to-survive stage. Today's parents seem to have exalted that stage merely for their own gratification - the "one smile from my child lights up my life" comments.

A person can take the child-like "positive traits" into adulthood: that life is good; life is joyful; one can be happy; but adulthood means tempering those with common sense and reality. That's what "growing up" is all about.
Growing up is overrated, haven't you heard?

Anyway yes, I think this worship of childhood is actually just as bad, and bad for the kids too. That goes for the over-protectiveness, forcing kids to juggle ten different things when they should just be out having fun, being a kid.

Common sense is fine. But too many of us lack imagination and enthusiasm. 'Enlightenment' seems to bring misery. Look at kids faces - they are mostly smiling and laughing, and they are playing around. Adults frown glumly most of the time, finding no pleasure in the small things in life. Some adults sort of grumpily shut the child in them out.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:11 AM

True, growing up is overrated but we all must get jobs and learn how to show up on time for work even if we hate it

I think most of us learn that skill in junior high and high school. Hated junior high and high school yet I had to show up for it. At least at a real job you get paid for showing up.

Other than that, enjoy life as you would if you were still young, and be responsible and respectful in your relationships, is what I say.

But what do you mean worship of childhood??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Growing up is overrated, haven't you heard?

Anyway yes, I think this worship of childhood is actually just as bad, and bad f

Old 04-18-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
True, growing up is overrated but we all must get jobs and learn how to show up on time for work even if we hate it

I think most of us learn that skill in junior high and high school. Hated junior high and high school yet I had to show up for it. At least at a real job you get paid for showing up.

Other than that, enjoy life as you would if you were still young, and be responsible and respectful in your relationships, is what I say.

But what do you mean worship of childhood??
Actually worship is a bad word, worship of children. All this attention being heaped on them, people treating them better than adults. We do have a love/hate relationship with them don't we?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:18 AM

What are examples of children being treated better than adults?

Quote:
Actually worship is a bad word, worship of children. All this attention being heaped on them, people treating them better than adults. We do have a love/hate relationship with them don't we?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What are examples of children being treated better than adults?
Like how alot of people are so friendly to kids compared to most adults.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:32 AM

Show us the proof. j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleCherry View Post
I don't like children or dogs and I'm a very friendly and compassionate person. It's not like I go out of my way to make children cry or hit dogs with my car or anything. I can tolerate them. I just prefer to not have them around.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:33 AM

Are adults not friendly to you?

Quote:
Like how alot of people are so friendly to kids compared to most adults.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:28 AM

2,539 posts, read 8,812,388 times
Honestly, I suppose I'd fall into the category of someone that doesn't like kids. I don't like the erratic behavior, the emotions, the lack of sleep they bring... I'll admit that I'm also probably not the most nurturing or empathetic person on earth, though.

I've always felt like if I was to have a kid I'd resent him/her for taking time away from my husband and I.. feeling that way would make me feel horrible and would make me an inadequate parent, which I why plan to not risk it and just not plan on having kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or