U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-18-2009, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 12,768,770 times
Reputation: 3536

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Actually I grew up in Europe ( various countries) where kids are seen and heard and taken to restaurants, films from babyhood etc... and because they are much behaved than Anglo-Saxon kids in general ( maybe because they are always included in everything from birth but still under much stronger discipline) they are very rarely a disturbance.

I still go to restaurants in France, Spain, Italy etc.. and it is incredibly rare to see any kid screaming and making a fuss. And they eat what is put in front of them.

I do think some activities are not designed for small children and babies though. We were visiting a Prehistoric Painted Cave in South-west France a couple of years back and an American couple had brought their Baby ( about 6 motnhs old).

Descending into a damp and dark place with a small child, was not great to begin with but then the lights went out completely and we ended up in the dark, the Baby ( not surprisingly ) started to scream and was obviously terrified... Some parents seem to think very little about what is or is not appropriate.

I was an pair in the US and the UK. NEVER AGAIN. EVER. I would rather chew my own foot than look after the little brats. All I saw were parents in awe of their kids, treating them like little Buddhas and worshipping their every breath , unable to control them. It was awful. Kids who were never told no and were given no boundaries.

Some parents think loving their children means allowing them to rule the roost.

I have absolutely NO problem with well behaved kids. Brats I can do without however.
Yet another reason I need to live in Europe. Curse my parents for staying in the United States!!

I am still scared about being ran over by a baby stroller walking down those small sidewalks but I guess that's a small price to pay.

 
Old 09-20-2009, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,179 posts, read 9,122,554 times
Reputation: 9523
I've been around kids most of my life, and I have to second that. I worked as an "elf" for a Mall Santa Claus, and the unbelievable parents who HAD to have a picture with Santa for the family were far worse behaved than the kids! Mothers taking obviously terrified toddlers up to the huge man dressed in red and FORCING them to sit in his lap, while the child was screaming, bawling, struggling - yes, and dirtying his diapers too. We had to have three uniforms for the Santas so that they could change out of the ones that the kids got filthy. Then the mothers would scream at the kids and at Santa alike, red faced and angry that THEY couldn't get the picture that they HAD to have.

I don't care for parents who let their kids get away with any and everything, either. One evening, sitting quietly in a Pizza Hut with our three (all under the age of 8), a woman walked in with her hubby and three kids of similar ages. HERS, however, immediately got up from the table, went running around, bothering other people at other tables, throwing things, tripping the waitress and laughing hysterically - all at the tops of their lungs. The woman simpered at me and said, "How do you keep YOUR kids so quiet?" I glared at her and said loudly and firmly, "I nail their F__ing feet to the floor!" She gasped, appalled, and corralled her brats and left. The waitresses and customers thanked me. Of course I didn't nail their feet to the floor; they were simply educated in how to behave in public, and had been schooled in not only self-respect but respect for others before they were ever out of their cribs.

But I do get so tired of seeing the 'helpless moms' trying to corral their mindless screaming brats - or turning them loose unwatched in the stores to play with/destroy the toys, in the museums to climb on and break whatever they want - and then blaming the clerks, owners, administrators, and even police for "ruining little Johnny's and Joanne's fun"! Irresponsible and lazy parents who don't understand that parenting is a 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week JOB and who expect any and everyone to spoil and tolerate their little pekingnese-faced brats, are FAR more reprehensible to me than folks who don't want to have children, for whatever reason.
 
Old 09-20-2009, 12:46 PM
 
3,628 posts, read 9,029,458 times
Reputation: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
little pekingnese-faced brats
hahahahahhaha!!!!!
 
Old 09-20-2009, 02:32 PM
 
723 posts, read 1,980,192 times
Reputation: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I've been around kids most of my life, and I have to second that. I worked as an "elf" for a Mall Santa Claus, and the unbelievable parents who HAD to have a picture with Santa for the family were far worse behaved than the kids! Mothers taking obviously terrified toddlers up to the huge man dressed in red and FORCING them to sit in his lap, while the child was screaming, bawling, struggling - yes, and dirtying his diapers too. We had to have three uniforms for the Santas so that they could change out of the ones that the kids got filthy. Then the mothers would scream at the kids and at Santa alike, red faced and angry that THEY couldn't get the picture that they HAD to have.

I don't care for parents who let their kids get away with any and everything, either. One evening, sitting quietly in a Pizza Hut with our three (all under the age of 8), a woman walked in with her hubby and three kids of similar ages. HERS, however, immediately got up from the table, went running around, bothering other people at other tables, throwing things, tripping the waitress and laughing hysterically - all at the tops of their lungs. The woman simpered at me and said, "How do you keep YOUR kids so quiet?" I glared at her and said loudly and firmly, "I nail their F__ing feet to the floor!" She gasped, appalled, and corralled her brats and left. The waitresses and customers thanked me. Of course I didn't nail their feet to the floor; they were simply educated in how to behave in public, and had been schooled in not only self-respect but respect for others before they were ever out of their cribs.

But I do get so tired of seeing the 'helpless moms' trying to corral their mindless screaming brats - or turning them loose unwatched in the stores to play with/destroy the toys, in the museums to climb on and break whatever they want - and then blaming the clerks, owners, administrators, and even police for "ruining little Johnny's and Joanne's fun"! Irresponsible and lazy parents who don't understand that parenting is a 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week JOB and who expect any and everyone to spoil and tolerate their little pekingnese-faced brats, are FAR more reprehensible to me than folks who don't want to have children, for whatever reason.
Right on!!!!!!!!

I like children if they behave nicely. Can't really blame them if they are out of control - I blame the parents mostly for that.

I remember being in a store once where a child was misbehaving and even called her Mother a b--ch!!!!!! The mother didn't do a thing. I would have been strapped to a chair and whipped if I ever cussed or talked back to my Parents like that!!!!!!!!!
 
Old 09-20-2009, 05:04 PM
 
174 posts, read 330,607 times
Reputation: 190
I know how much trouble kids can be, looking back on my own childhood and adolescence. I didn't like other kids then and I don't really like them now. I'm too delicate and too much of a worrier to go through the challenges of parenthood. Nowadays, I see kids under 13 as basically harmless, but a slight nuisance. Even kids under 13 can shoot you with a gun. I'd rather take care of my cats.

Last edited by Kenneth70; 09-20-2009 at 05:19 PM..
 
Old 09-20-2009, 05:27 PM
 
898 posts, read 1,243,856 times
Reputation: 1007
I don't know anyone who is not self centered. We all care for ourselves before we care for anyone else and that's the way it's supposed to be. Yeah, I know that the parents in here will respond with lies like, "I put my kids before me" and other such nonsense but keep in mind that you had your little crumb snatchers because you were so self centered that you just had to make a little zerox of yourself in the first place.
Just because someone doesn't want to voluntarily enslave themselves to another creature doesn't mean that they have forgotten their childhood or anything like that. I still watch cartoons, I still buy a toy here and there if I like it, I'm not afraid of being silly (this actually helps me get along with my nieces and nephews) and I can have conversations with children for longer than their own parents want to.
My brother-in-law once called me an idiot because I was having a discussion with his 8-year-old about which toys were cool and which weren't. It hurt my feelings but not as much as I saw the hurt in my nephew's eyes. My nephew learned that day that if daddy doesn't like something, then it's stupid to have an interest in it. Who was being more self centered that time?
 
Old 10-01-2009, 02:17 AM
 
4,354 posts, read 5,282,875 times
Reputation: 4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You're right, taking your children to the movies or to a restaurant is COMPLETELY analogous to stalking, in terms of harm to others, and obviously bad parenting. Oh, wait. No.

Clearly, there are adult activities that can in some contexts be socially inappropriate for children to partake in, and age appropriateness is important to consider for all activities. But those who dislike children need to clue into the fact that being out in a public place doesn't entitle them to a child-free experience.
It damn well should! If you think little babies should be allowed in a movie theater, you are wrong. If I ran a theater there would be a strict policy of no babies allowed. It's distracting to everyone else there, and they never last throughout the movie without ruining it for others. Get. A. Babysitter. That's horrible parenting.

If you can't afford a babysitter, STAY HOME! Don't make everyone else miserable because you are poor and you chose to breed anyway.
 
Old 10-01-2009, 02:21 AM
 
4,354 posts, read 5,282,875 times
Reputation: 4282
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
I don't know anyone who is not self centered. We all care for ourselves before we care for anyone else and that's the way it's supposed to be. Yeah, I know that the parents in here will respond with lies like, "I put my kids before me" and other such nonsense but keep in mind that you had your little crumb snatchers because you were so self centered that you just had to make a little zerox of yourself in the first place.
Just because someone doesn't want to voluntarily enslave themselves to another creature doesn't mean that they have forgotten their childhood or anything like that. I still watch cartoons, I still buy a toy here and there if I like it, I'm not afraid of being silly (this actually helps me get along with my nieces and nephews) and I can have conversations with children for longer than their own parents want to.
My brother-in-law once called me an idiot because I was having a discussion with his 8-year-old about which toys were cool and which weren't. It hurt my feelings but not as much as I saw the hurt in my nephew's eyes. My nephew learned that day that if daddy doesn't like something, then it's stupid to have an interest in it. Who was being more self centered that time?
That was well put. It's impossible, just as a matter of physical impossibility, not to be "self-centered." Someone needs to come up with new words and ditch those, like selfish, ok, but self-centered, self-interested, etc., none of those are correct in terms of their literal definitions. If you're not interested in yourself, you must be suffering from clinical depression or something. Everyone is and should be self-interested, it's just that you should also take a healthy interest in the world around you, too. And everyone is SELF-centered, because the self is the center of all perceptual experiences. No matter what you say you care about, even if YOU say you care about your kids more than yourself, that judgment is made by who? Yourself. It's not made somehow exterior from the self, so of course it's still self-centered because it's impossible that your perceptual experiences, the way you experience the world around you, could be anything OTHER than self-centered, haha. What a silly saying.
 
Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 PM
 
123 posts, read 271,193 times
Reputation: 125
Children=parasites to me.

Parasite;an animal or plant that lives in or on a host (another animal or plant); it obtains nourishment from the host without benefiting or killing the host

We all start as parasites but in the case of children, their parents, (the host) allows them to suck the lifes blood from them nearly to death in some cases.....especially these days. They remind me of little savages.

I asked my mother what kind of child I was because I refused to remember. She said I was quiet(too quiet), learned to behave in public early (age 2), self entertaining(didn't need or want a lot of attention), a loner and a wanderer as a teen. I worried her to death with my wandering and angered her because I seemed to always be quietly angry. I was always on survival mode she said, always took care of my needs and never said I WANTED anything. I resented other kids who treated their parents like their own personal slaves for life. Still do.

LOL My mom loves me but she said I was never really a child as far as she considers children.

Huh, I don't even like my grandchildren because their parents are totally duped by them. Amazing isn't it? You can raise them with the best tools and rules and awareness of boundaries and they turn around and become p***y wupped, woosey parents. Another reason not to have kids.

Still, I frankly can not stand children whose parents are too lazy to socialize them in the ways of basic manners. Yes, I understand children are also on survival mode but they are also natural liars, manipulators, sneaky, greedy and lazy...if you let them be. And ugh, teenagers.

No thanks. if I could go back in time I would make sure some doctor tied, burned, and cut my tubes at 14 years of age. ..I'd be happy to sterilize everybody on this planet for the next 20 years.
 
Old 10-30-2009, 01:29 AM
 
Location: Planet Crazy
3 posts, read 12,675 times
Reputation: 28
I find kids annoying in general. I have my 2 grandchildren (ages 2 & 6) living with us right now, and boy do they cramp my life. I love them, but......I can't do anything by myself without them constantly getting in my way, touching my things, interrupting me, and just getting into stuff that causes trouble. I spend most of my time reprimanding them, so I ask you, where is the joy of being of being a grandparent??? I know I don't get any. I pray for the time when my step-daughter takes the kids somewhere overnight just so I can get some freakin' peace !!! My entire life revolves around them now, and it's getting on my nerves !!@@!!!! Grand-daughter has a major stubborn streak, and grandson is ADHD. I don't like taking care of them at all, but I do it because they need me. My life is not my own anymore. If this is being selfish, well, I guess I am going to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top