U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-31-2009, 06:19 AM
 
Location: The Midst of Insanity
3,225 posts, read 6,124,373 times
Reputation: 3209

Advertisements

I don't understand what "liking kids" has to do with "being nice".

I know plenty of childless people who are very nice; I also know some parents who say they "adore children" but are awful, nasty people themselves.

Me personally? I honestly don't care for children; don't have them, don't want them, have no need for them. Being a mommy just doesn't appeal to me. Thankfully, I have a husband who doesn't want children either. I've been called everything under the sun for this-selfish, self-centered, immature, stupid, not a real woman, not a true human being, I've had my both mental and reproductive facilities questioned. You get the idea. It seems that even in our 'enlightened' times there are many, many people who assume that if you're a woman who has no children and doesn't want them, there must be something wrong with you.

Back to my question for the OP-what does liking children have to do with being "nice"?

 
Old 10-31-2009, 09:16 AM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,211,008 times
Reputation: 7378
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
have compassion! The little monsters can't help themselves.
:d:d:d
 
Old 10-31-2009, 10:53 AM
 
383 posts, read 669,024 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I don't understand what "liking kids" has to do with "being nice".

I know plenty of childless people who are very nice; I also know some parents who say they "adore children" but are awful, nasty people themselves.

Me personally? I honestly don't care for children; don't have them, don't want them, have no need for them. Being a mommy just doesn't appeal to me. Thankfully, I have a husband who doesn't want children either. I've been called everything under the sun for this-selfish, self-centered, immature, stupid, not a real woman, not a true human being, I've had my both mental and reproductive facilities questioned. You get the idea. It seems that even in our 'enlightened' times there are many, many people who assume that if you're a woman who has no children and doesn't want them, there must be something wrong with you.

Back to my question for the OP-what does liking children have to do with being "nice"?
I understand you perfectly. I am also considered a selfish bastard just because I think children are a waste of time and money and a source of unnecessary stress and destruction.
 
Old 10-31-2009, 11:06 AM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,211,008 times
Reputation: 7378
I wonder if your parents felt the same way after they had you...
 
Old 10-31-2009, 11:34 AM
 
383 posts, read 669,024 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I wonder if your parents felt the same way after they had you...
If they did, they obviously would never admit it. But I knew I was a burden, at least to my father. Every kid is. But parents can't say it.
 
Old 10-31-2009, 11:43 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 9,734,464 times
Reputation: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm talking about people who truly dislike children, and to an extent, dislike ALL teenagers. That kind of blanket dislike.
Kids and teenagers are two different groups and should not be confused as being the same thing. For example, an 8 year old is a kid and a 15 year old is a teenager. How could 8 year olds and 15 year olds possibly be in the same group? A lot of teenagers hate young kids.
 
Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,211,008 times
Reputation: 7378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
If they did, they obviously would never admit it. But I knew I was a burden, at least to my father. Every kid is. But parents can't say it.
I suppose it is a mindset...I do not consider my children a burden. I consider them a blessing. I guess it boils down to personality types, patience levels, and viewing life in a "glass half full/or empty" mentality...
 
Old 10-31-2009, 01:10 PM
 
383 posts, read 669,024 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I suppose it is a mindset...I do not consider my children a burden. I consider them a blessing. I guess it boils down to personality types, patience levels, and viewing life in a "glass half full/or empty" mentality...
Well, true. One of the main reasons I don't like children is because I can't tolerate childish stuff and lose my temper quite easily with them.
 
Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,211,008 times
Reputation: 7378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
Well, true. One of the main reasons I don't like children is because I can't tolerate childish stuff and lose my temper quite easily with them.
No offense but you seem a bit impatient as well...patience is key.
 
Old 10-31-2009, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 12,763,334 times
Reputation: 3536
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
No offense but you seem a bit impatient as well...patience is key.
Well they did say that they lose their patience with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top