U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,144,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
I think I do! Is there some kind of a rule written in the book of life that says "YOU MUST HAVE CHILDREN. YOU MUST GIVE UP YOUR LIFE IN ORDER TO RAISE ANOTHER PERSON, BECAUSE YOUR LIFE DOES NOT AND SHOULD NOT BELONG TO YOU".

Amen sister!! Just because I can reproduce it doesn't mean I HAVE to!

Old 03-19-2010, 12:44 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,345,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Alot of dogs of have those traits as well. Yet there are plenty of people that don't like them.
yes but children are people, so excuse me for not equating them with the four legged beasts of the field

Old 03-19-2010, 01:00 PM

600 posts, read 1,374,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Yup, childfree people are every bit as selfish as the majority of parents. I have yet to hear one altruistic reason why a parent decides to have a child.

The truly selfless parents are the ones who decide to adopt instead of having their own biological children.
THANK YOU! I've never heard a reason why people have kids that didn't sound just as selfish as the reasons why people DON'T want kids. Kids don't ask to be born, so parents are definitely not doing it for them.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart1311 View Post
THANK YOU! I've never heard a reason why people have kids that didn't sound just as selfish as the reasons why people DON'T want kids. Kids don't ask to be born, so parents are definitely not doing it for them.
oh, please, that is not even the same thing. you obviously are not aware of how much parents sacrifice for their children

reproduction is quite possibly the most beautiful and natural part of the human existence. it is what we were biologically designed to do. only since recent times as society has become more and more selfish has it been the norm for people to simply not want children

i'm not saying that all people who don't want kids are selfish, because there are several legitimate reasons for someone to not become a parent. but those individuals who simply don't want kids because it will interrupt their "great life" are pretty damn selfish

Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 PM

383 posts, read 669,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
oh, please, that is not even the same thing. you obviously are not aware of how much parents sacrifice for their children

reproduction is quite possibly the most beautiful and natural part of the human existence. it is what we were biologically designed to do. only since recent times as society has become more and more selfish has it been the norm for people to simply not want children

i'm not saying that all people who don't want kids are selfish, because there are several legitimate reasons for someone to not become a parent. but those individuals who simply don't want kids because it will interrupt their "great life" are pretty damn selfish
Are the childfree supposed to feel sorry for them? They make sacrifices just because they want to.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:

So I should reproduce and be miserable?? Come on!! You can't seriously believer your own statement. Just because I want my freedom to do whatever I want, whenever I want doesn't make me selfish. Its very smart. At least I don't bring a child into this world and pawn them off to their grandmother, great-grandmother, great-great-great grandmother, auntie, or the foster system!!!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:37 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,417,177 times
Just because someone made sacrifices does not mean that they didn't do it for selfish reasons.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 PM

This whole thread can go around, around and around. You want kids?? Have them! We don't want kids?? We won't have them. Its none of your business why I chose not to have kids and its none of my business why you choose to. PERIOD!!

Old 03-19-2010, 01:41 PM

369 posts, read 664,173 times
Quote:
well i'm sorry but that is something i just cannot grasp. children are innocent, honest, imaginative, gullable, intuitive. how are these traits not attractive?

children represent what we as adults used to be before we were corrupted by the world
Almost 30 years in EMS, 19 in nursing most of it ER. No they are not. I've treated elderly people who have been assaulted by tweens. I've treated the victims of drive by shootings done by teens and early 20's. I've also treated the abused children and elderly.

You should see some of things kids to each other. Oh in that way some are quite imaginative. Of the two most vicious crimes I've ever treated the survivors one was a child abuse and the other was perpetrated by a 12 year old. Childhood innocence is cultural myth.

The OP made the comment that people who don't like kids have some sort of disconnect between childhood and now. Most people I've heard make that sort of comment live in ivory towers and refuse to see the world around them. If I have "lost my innocence" it's been sacrificed on the alter of parental neglect and entitlement.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapercrazy View Post
Are the childfree supposed to feel sorry for them? They make sacrifices just because they want to.
i didn't say anything about feeling sorry for them. i said they can't compare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or