U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 08:08 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,173,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
If he put a hand on my kid I would have slapped him into next week.
It doesn't sound like that was going to happen in this situation. He was addressing the parents.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:22 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,280,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Shouting is illegal unless you are shouting at your own children and then it's "discipline"
Yes. There is no double standing. As long as the shouting is not abusive, then it shouldn't matter.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:11 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,254,065 times
My older sister once claimed to dislike children. She always had a cynical, smart-ass, and kind of cold-hearted personality. She did not tolerate fools and she had no patience for children. She always reminded me of a prettier, girly, WC Fields.

Then one day, when she was nearly 40 years old, she called me and told me that she was pregnant. I don't know what happened but she's a completely different person. She's a total softie when it comes to her child and she has no backbone. Her child is spoiled rotten.

I'm still scratching my head over it.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:04 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,011,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Couldn't agree more..

I will give my example of what you are talking about..The ex bf and I were in Cheesecake Factory eating dinner. A couple and their young child would seated 4 booths away. The parents were allowing the child to bang the knife and fork on the glass dinner plate.
%< snippage>%
Think that's bad?

Parents miffed as Brooklyn cafe Oak & the Iris Cafť nixes weekly kid sing-alongs

Here's the e-mail from the owner, detailing why the action was taken

Kensington Prospect The Sad Story of a Cancelled Singalong

Quote:
Believe it how frustrating it has also been that nearly at every sing along there was something broken at our cafe, by kidís whose parents were not looking after their kids. I have three kids myself and I understand that parents what to relax and have a break too, but the aftermath was getting worse and worse. Sadly some parents would just allow their kids to tear our cafe down. In the last month 2 chairs were broken during sing-along, books ripped, a boy opened a drink refrigerator and started to through bottled drinks out on the floor, dishes broken, cereal boxes were rolling all over the floor, and the list is long.

Regular customers will not come in and eat on Thursdays, pm. The sales during Sing-along were down to $15 with some nice parents buying coffees and cookies. The clean up was huge. The waitress was very frustrated since she got no tips either. Katie made money, but we only lost. Out of all the money that Katie made charging $5, we got from 3 to 8 dollars. For 2 years I just tried to look at this event similar to a charity event for the community, but lately it escalated to loss for the business. Perhaps Tea Lounge and Vox Pop are more set up for events and are more as a kidís cafe and we are more set up for a restaurant/cafe that is very family friendly.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 PM

4,101 posts, read 5,905,386 times
I have four children, two boys and two girls. Three of them I get along with very well. I like kids, and I like young people. I enjoy the friendship of a Mexican family that owns a restaurant. I've gone out of my way to be kind to these people and help them in anyway I can. They know they can call on me no matter the time of day or night if they need help. They have three children that treat me very well. The oldest is a 23 year old male, he calls me Papa, shakes my hand and gives me a hug when ever he sees me, and hugs my wife. The other kids do the same. I dearly love these kids, and would do anything for them. My youngest daughter and her husband do not plan on having children because he has been around children that don't mind and have gotten into trouble. So he made it clean before they married that he didn't want kids. I understand where he is coming from, I don't fault him for his feelings. He likes his neices and nephews and treats them all very well. I don't think you can make any blanket statements about people that don't want kids, that doesn't always mean they don't like kids. I don't like being around kids that don't mind, and I loose respect for the parents very quickly when they don't make their kids mind. I have two well educated friends that never made thier adopted boy mind. When he was in highschool he got into so much trouble it almost caused the couple to divorce. Now that he is out of school, the father pays for his apartment, all his gasoline, insurance and misc expenses (the kid has wrecked three cars). This kid doesn't work, and will probably never have to work, or be able to get a job. The father is the problem here, eventually it is going to destroy the marriage. The wife has discussed these problems with me on numerous occasions, she is sick of the problems which seem to be ongoing.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:30 AM

9,605 posts, read 17,729,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Shouting is illegal unless you are shouting at your own children and then it's "discipline"
Since when is shouting at someone in a public place illegal ? Thats crazy & if it is a law its damn stupid. Next thing you know the idiot politicians will make passing gas in public illegal.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:26 AM

27,236 posts, read 40,310,013 times
You know, I've already gone on record as to not liking children, right?

But when I was on my recent trip, I visited my cousin and she has three daughters, the oldest of which is 6. I had all three of them standing on my back, I kept them entertained for a while, they enjoyed me being there with them...and the oldest one said she didn't want me to go.

I said maybe I could stay until it got dark, and then I would have to leave. Well, I left earlier. Do you know WHY I left? Kids started getting cranky and started acting up. They're not my kids, it's not something I HAVE to deal with...so I didn't. I decided to make my exit then and there.

Yes, I'm impatient. Yes, I don't like listening to kids whine. But I don't simply HATE kids. And I know what my limits are, and why I don't want to have any of my own.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:00 AM

35,121 posts, read 37,898,138 times
I have three grown children, my husband has 2 grown children, together we have 7 grand children and I love them all dearly as well as other children. What I dislike is parents who refuse to teach their children what is right and wrong, who refuse to set limits for their children, who threaten discipline and don't follow through, who allow the children to run amok everywhere not just in public, etc. etc.

So technically it is not the children personally I dislike it is their lack of being taught properly how to be civilized humans.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:18 AM

5,368 posts, read 4,878,827 times
While I don't think people who dislike children are generally not very nice, I have undoubtedly noticed that people who don't like/want children have short tempers and a lack of patience in most aspects of their lives. Not saying all those who dislike children are that way, but a very high percentage that I have met are.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:30 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,023,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You know, I've already gone on record as to not liking children, right?

But when I was on my recent trip, I visited my cousin and she has three daughters, the oldest of which is 6. I had all three of them standing on my back, I kept them entertained for a while, they enjoyed me being there with them...and the oldest one said she didn't want me to go.

I said maybe I could stay until it got dark, and then I would have to leave. Well, I left earlier. Do you know WHY I left? Kids started getting cranky and started acting up. They're not my kids, it's not something I HAVE to deal with...so I didn't. I decided to make my exit then and there.

Yes, I'm impatient. Yes, I don't like listening to kids whine. But I don't simply HATE kids. And I know what my limits are, and why I don't want to have any of my own.
same here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or