Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2010, 01:11 AM

369 posts, read 772,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I don't get people getting all worked about up children. So a baby cries in a restaurant. So a kid kicks the back of your seat in an airplane. So what. No one "likes" these behaviors. But, some people accept that kids are a fact of life and learn to think beyond how something or someone affects themself.
Yes they can be controlled and if they aren't they escalate. When that happens then the kid ends meeting someone like me to save their life. It is simple, if a kid is crying take them someplace quiet till the can gain control. If a kid is kicking a seat make the child stop. Set a limit. It's better to do that then deal with the screams that come from being held down to stitch a wound or start an IV.

A whole other consideration is why is the child misbehaving? There is a good chance that what ever is going on in that environment is toxic to the child. It could anything from simple boredom to pain from noise and air pressure. It is the parents job to protect the child or get the child out of the environment. Sometimes it's best for the parent and child to just avoid the environment.

Someone else commented in regards to a person taking utensils from a child baging them on the table. The person may have kept that child from bashing a dish and cutting them self or slipping and hurting them self with the pointy end of the items. Not only is that person allowed, they should be congratulated. They obviously cared more the child's safety than the actual parent. At least that person acted to save the child from an injury. That's what adults are supposed to do. Injuries happen from a chain of events leading to a tragedy. Just breaking one link in that chain can help prevent them. Wouldn't you take the scissors from a child running with them? Or would you just wring your hands until they were sticking out of the child's guts?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:30 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I like kids as long as they ain't mine. Kids can be a pain in the ass and most parents out there have absolutely no idea what they are doing. The future of this world does not look all that bright and bringing kids into this world without having the financial preparedness is ignorance in my opinion.

Once again you have chosen to bestow your words of wisdom(NOT) on the CD world. I wish I knew everything. Then, I could be just like you. Hopefully, your track record with women will stay the same, and we won't have to worry about you having children in the future.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:43 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
what's with the kid haters?

I like kids, and have never met one that hasn't warmed to me...

At least they're honest and don't talk **** like most adults...

Old 08-24-2010, 06:48 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
Yes they can be controlled and if they aren't they escalate. When that happens then the kid ends meeting someone like me to save their life. It is simple, if a kid is crying take them someplace quiet till the can gain control. If a kid is kicking a seat make the child stop. Set a limit. It's better to do that then deal with the screams that come from being held down to stitch a wound or start an IV.

A whole other consideration is why is the child misbehaving? There is a good chance that what ever is going on in that environment is toxic to the child. It could anything from simple boredom to pain from noise and air pressure. It is the parents job to protect the child or get the child out of the environment. Sometimes it's best for the parent and child to just avoid the environment.

Someone else commented in regards to a person taking utensils from a child baging them on the table. The person may have kept that child from bashing a dish and cutting them self or slipping and hurting them self with the pointy end of the items. Not only is that person allowed, they should be congratulated. They obviously cared more the child's safety than the actual parent. At least that person acted to save the child from an injury. That's what adults are supposed to do. Injuries happen from a chain of events leading to a tragedy. Just breaking one link in that chain can help prevent them. Wouldn't you take the scissors from a child running with them? Or would you just wring your hands until they were sticking out of the child's guts?
It is good that you are looking out for the well being of the world's children. But, I think this thread is targeted at people who don't like kids and get all hissy because kids don't act like well-mannered adults.

ozgal - great words, so true.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:26 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
what's with the kid haters?

I like kids, and have never met one that hasn't warmed to me...

At least they're honest and don't talk **** like most adults...
Who says adults cannot be honest? Both adults and kids can be dishonest or devious. The idea that kids are all sweet, and adults all bad, or vice versa, is a falsehood and a false dichotomy.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:09 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,507 times
Personally - I don't really like kids except for mine. They make me nervous and are too loud for my liking.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 AM

408 posts, read 809,409 times
[quote][Now days, its easier to like pets than most kids. The pets are usually well behaved and friendly.
/QUOTE]

Exactly. I do not wish to have children because the majority of children today I've come across are rude, hyperactive, and just plain obnoxious. I don't even like going out to dinner, to the laundry mat, or Wal-Mart for the mere fact I know I will have to deal with screaming children running all over the place, and parents don't do a damn thing about it. So yes, it may come off as rude on my part---but I would rather deal with my pets than most people's kids. (my dogs/cats are better behaved than a lot of children I've met, sorry but true)

Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,507 times
[quote=ashcody;15603628]
Quote:
[Now days, its easier to like pets than most kids. The pets are usually well behaved and friendly.
/QUOTE]

Exactly. I do not wish to have children because the majority of children today I've come across are rude, hyperactive, and just plain obnoxious. I don't even like going out to dinner, to the laundry mat, or Wal-Mart for the mere fact I know I will have to deal with screaming children running all over the place, and parents don't do a damn thing about it. So yes, it may come off as rude on my part---but I would rather deal with my pets than most people's kids. (my dogs/cats are better behaved than a lot of children I've met, sorry but true)
I totally agree with you. My son would rather eat glass than to ever throw a fit in Wal-Mart. He sooo knows better. It's really the parents - people are too afraid of punishing their children, and then they wonder why their teenage daughter is having sex in back alleys... Really?

Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,399,043 times
I will honestly admit that sometimes my babies (nieces and nephew) get on my nerve so bad that I do not like them at all. Sometimes I find myself hating them and I'm so ashamed of those feelings. Sometimes I not only frustrated with them but with their parents as well. Their parents do NOT discipline when it is necessary and it drives my family crazy. I do believe parents need to discipline their children all the time and bring them up in a good manners. I admit that sometimes I get annoyed with children in particular places that just NEED to controlled. When I see parents being hard on their kids, I'm just like WOW. My brother and my sister in law needs to be like that although I know that they're not perfect...But I think it's better to something than nothing and annoy people with your children. I think this question really questions my perspective on people, children, and myself overall. Me being a Christian really challenges my motivations and my perspective on children. Although I do not have a big heart for children and am struggling to be true to myself, I can never pick pets over children. I try to not be at the end of both pendulum (Hating kids ----- Loving kids to the point of bashing those who hate kids). I try to be neutral, understand both perspective at least.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:59 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Who says adults cannot be honest? Both adults and kids can be dishonest or devious. The idea that kids are all sweet, and adults all bad, or vice versa, is a falsehood and a false dichotomy.
I never said that they couldn't.

Generally, kids are more honest (without meaning to be)

[quote=ashcody;15603628]
Quote:
[Now days, its easier to like pets than most kids. The pets are usually well behaved and friendly.
/QUOTE]

where do you go to dinner? Mc Donalds?

I don't really understand this notion of comparing a dog or a cat to a child. In saying that I would prefer a child talking away (or lo and behold! making noise! The HORROR) than some dog drooling his disgusting germs onto me...

In my view, a bad child is the result of bad parenting. I hardly ever blame the child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology