U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-25-2010, 10:56 AM
 
Location: One foot in CT one in KS
2,177 posts, read 2,897,888 times
Reputation: 6487

Advertisements

I don't consider myself a "children" person. It probably was my childhood. I was the oldest of a largish number of siblings and got pressed into service at a young age to help care for and raise them. I was strapped with the partial responsibility and the lack of freedom associated with parenting without having kids of my own. It probably didn't help that I was not a "girly" girl so I was absolutely not interested in what I was tasked to do. Childless by choice as an adult, I tend to not notice children at all.

It's been a minor problem because of the ignorant assumptions people make about a woman that doesn't melt at the sight of a baby or want to talk kids or grandkids all day long. I love animals (and respect children's rights, needs and space) but I just can't get excited about or interested in them.

And there is nothing is wrong is with my character or moral compass.

 
Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Middletown, Ohio
1,727 posts, read 2,226,185 times
Reputation: 6382
Lightbulb The Captain Sez---Ain't A Thing Wrong With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I don't consider myself a "children" person. It probably was my childhood. I was the oldest of a largish number of siblings and got pressed into service at a young age to help care for and raise them. I was strapped with the partial responsibility and the lack of freedom associated with parenting without having kids of my own. It probably didn't help that I was not a "girly" girl so I was absolutely not interested in what I was tasked to do. Childless by choice as an adult, I tend to not notice children at all.

It's been a minor problem because of the ignorant assumptions people make about a woman that doesn't melt at the sight of a baby or want to talk kids or grandkids all day long. I love animals (and respect children's rights, needs and space) but I just can't get excited about or interested in them.

And there is nothing is wrong is with my character or moral compass.
Mrs Catfish and I don't have kids either...we love being aunts and uncles, but I've been a stepdad twice, and Mrs Catfish has no kids from her 1st marriage...

I totally understand your situation, and your frame of mind, and no, you are NOT some Commie/Al-Qaeda/Grinch/Scrooge/Bluto/Philistine because of your stance about kids...

In our circle of friends are people who are parents, grandparents, and childless people...we treat our childless friends with the same love and respect that we do those who have kids, and there is NEVER any talk/pressure towards them about 'so, why don't you guys have kids?'

In short, someone made a remark upthread about 'following the norm'...well, Norm is some guy on a barstool in a long-canceled sitcom, and I'm not about to follow him anywhere except into reruns LOL...if you have children, or choose to have children, I have the utmost respect for you and your choice...my wife and I don't have kids, same as some of our friends, and there are times when other folks kids get rowdy and yes, get on our nerves, but I'm not gonna necessarily give those parents the stink-eye for that...and not wanting to hear about kids being cooed at and fussed over a) is not a felony punishable by death and b) is not some reason to look all evil at folks like they just loudly cut the cheese in the middle of Sunday service
 
Old 08-25-2010, 05:52 PM
 
14,790 posts, read 13,482,539 times
Reputation: 20478
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I was at my cousin's house, and I WATCHED the oldest daughter kick her younger sister--and then refused to apologize for it. I was a witness, her sister did nothing except be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The eldest was just being cranky--and with that, I made my exit.

There was no reason for it.
I must be lucky in that I rarely see kids I know do this.

Where was the parent to discpline the child?

Again - this is no reason to hate kids. This is bad parenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Because you pick and choose who is worthy of this respect, when it's not as if you rule society and by that virtue warrant that right.
what in the world are you babbering about?

I think you need to work on constructing sentences that actually make sense.
 
Old 08-26-2010, 03:48 AM
 
4,379 posts, read 4,274,327 times
Reputation: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I don't consider myself a "children" person. It probably was my childhood. I was the oldest of a largish number of siblings and got pressed into service at a young age to help care for and raise them. I was strapped with the partial responsibility and the lack of freedom associated with parenting without having kids of my own. It probably didn't help that I was not a "girly" girl so I was absolutely not interested in what I was tasked to do. Childless by choice as an adult, I tend to not notice children at all.

It's been a minor problem because of the ignorant assumptions people make about a woman that doesn't melt at the sight of a baby or want to talk kids or grandkids all day long. I love animals (and respect children's rights, needs and space) but I just can't get excited about or interested in them.

And there is nothing is wrong is with my character or moral compass.

There is nothing wrong with my moral compass either (how is that even defined anyhow?), but the only kids I like/respect/love are family members, others can go to hell.
 
Old 08-26-2010, 04:55 PM
 
2,759 posts, read 3,312,077 times
Reputation: 3077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not making any judgments myself, but people like this are often portrayed as self-centered, impatient and not very warm. Of course hating any group for no good reason is probably not a good thing, but have you noticed this in general? I know some of the meanest people can still like babies or puppies or something, but I get the idea that some people who say they dislike children are rather serious, and have lost their innocence in a way. Of course some may just say they and dislike them on a very superficial level, but I also think they have forgotten the child within them, and maybe need to re-connect with that.
I don't like children, but I LOVE babies, toddlers, and animals (especially dogs).

I guess I don't like children because they start expressing themselves like they're the center of the universe - and they aren't, only in their own and their parents' eyes. Certainly not mine.

Yes, I AM selfish to a point. That's because of my experiences, and how I've let others affect me.

Yes, I keep most people at a distance. It's self-protection. But I'm not a mean person. I have a soft heart, and really like comforting truly hurting people.

Babies and animals love unconditionally. People don't.
 
Old 08-27-2010, 12:59 AM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,236 posts, read 13,523,621 times
Reputation: 25856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not making any judgments myself, but people like this are often portrayed as self-centered, impatient and not very warm. Of course hating any group for no good reason is probably not a good thing, but have you noticed this in general? I know some of the meanest people can still like babies or puppies or something, but I get the idea that some people who say they dislike children are rather serious, and have lost their innocence in a way. Of course some may just say they and dislike them on a very superficial level, but I also think they have forgotten the child within them, and maybe need to re-connect with that.
Considering the age of this thread I may have posted a long time ago, but I'm too lazy to take the time to see if I'm in "there" somewhere.

I find this post almost offensive, mainly because I can't see anything wrong in disliking children. And this is coming from one who raised a child. I don't think anyone HAS to like children, or HAS to reproduce (and I wish more people wouldn't).

I've long ago gotten tired of the cliche' "they're selfish" accusation. Some may very well be but at least give those people credit for honesty. I think many, though, are simply annoyed by things kids do that others find so endearing. Others yet may have had childhood issues that shaped their feelings for good. Others may simply not be nurturers (and I don't believe we all are).
 
Old 08-27-2010, 04:10 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
2,657 posts, read 7,004,191 times
Reputation: 4295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Considering the age of this thread I may have posted a long time ago, but I'm too lazy to take the time to see if I'm in "there" somewhere.

I find this post almost offensive, mainly because I can't see anything wrong in disliking children. And this is coming from one who raised a child. I don't think anyone HAS to like children, or HAS to reproduce (and I wish more people wouldn't).

I've long ago gotten tired of the cliche' "they're selfish" accusation. Some may very well be but at least give those people credit for honesty. I think many, though, are simply annoyed by things kids do that others find so endearing. Others yet may have had childhood issues that shaped their feelings for good. Others may simply not be nurturers (and I don't believe we all are).
THREAD TROPHY

 
Old 08-27-2010, 05:28 AM
 
4,322 posts, read 5,271,288 times
Reputation: 4238
"Anyone who hates kids can't be all bad." - W. C. Fields.

I'm sure I wrote that before, but it's still funny and still relevant

I actually mostly like kids, a lot of kids are cute when they're on their best behavior, I mean in the sense that they have a curiosity and sense of wonder that should be admired. Or the way they look up to you for this or that, for instance. What I hate are babies, I really hate babies, and more than that I hate people who go ga-ga over babies, they are the worst. Babies can't help it that they're obnoxious and ugly, I don't think. I mean they are disgusting basically. But people can help having bad and obnoxious opinions. When someone is like, "Awww da widdle baby isn't he so cute," no IT is not cute, it is a sack of organs that cries, pees, poops, and vomits and has nothing AT ALL to contribute to the world, no personality, NOTHING. It is just a mindless meatsack. Nothing could be more disgusting and awful than a baby. But kids are at least beginning to have real personalities and grow into people, which is cool, because they will be future intelligent beings and they're learning. They can be bratty and annoying but at least they have a capability to be something. When girls, like my ex, say, "I could sit there with a baby for hours and just play with it and not be bored," I think wow nature has created a truly mediocre creature in a girl like that. It's like nature just said, "Yeah *********, you won't have any real life ambitions or goals, you're just going to procreate." That... is sad and disgusting. I can't even describe how awesome it is to see a girl who is like ick, babies. When I see a girl hold a baby and is kind of unnerved by it and just like yuck, baby, nasty, I think that's an awesome girl, I immediately have respect for her because I think there's a person crafted by intelligence rather than biology.

Biology wants you to be a breeder, so any time someone can go against the grain there is something instantly respectable in that.
 
Old 08-27-2010, 06:49 AM
 
13,773 posts, read 33,001,155 times
Reputation: 10524
Per the ToS.. Take a minute to read it

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-27-2010 at 04:31 PM..
 
Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 PM
 
4,379 posts, read 4,274,327 times
Reputation: 1612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I must be lucky in that I rarely see kids I know do this.

Where was the parent to discpline the child?

Again - this is no reason to hate kids. This is bad parenting.
I disagree. Some children deserve to be disliked. Life is tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top