U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-29-2010, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,294,119 times
Reputation: 10915

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I must be lucky in that I rarely see kids I know do this.

Where was the parent to discpline the child?

Again - this is no reason to hate kids. This is bad parenting.
No, this is just the way kids are. It's normal for them.

It's also a part that I don't have to deal with, because I won't have kids of my own.

 
Old 08-30-2010, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Cincinnati
3,335 posts, read 5,731,421 times
Reputation: 2058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
.... think wow nature has created a truly mediocre creature in a girl like that. It's like nature just said, "Yeah *********, you won't have any real life ambitions or goals, you're just going to procreate." That... is sad and disgusting. I can't even describe how awesome it is to see a girl who is like ick, babies. When I see a girl hold a baby and is kind of unnerved by it and just like yuck, baby, nasty, I think that's an awesome girl, I immediately have respect for her because I think there's a person crafted by intelligence rather than biology.

Biology wants you to be a breeder, so any time someone can go against the grain there is something instantly respectable in that.
Wow, you sound like a lot of fun. Anyhow, where you are wrong is that most people, especially adults who weren't around babies, find them unnerving because they aren't used to them. When I see a girl who is unnerved by a baby, I think, i bet she is the youngest child in the family and probably under 22 to have so little life experience. Or if the girl is say, in her 30s, then she probably is still the youngest child and has very little contact with friends and family and is generally self-obsessed and acts like she is 22 but knows a few big words. Most women in my circle who have chosen to not have kids are okay with babies, you know for an hour or two, they just realize the lifestyle change required to have one isn't for them.
 
Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 PM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,276,297 times
Reputation: 5906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not making any judgments myself, but people like this are often portrayed as self-centered, impatient and not very warm. Of course hating any group for no good reason is probably not a good thing, but have you noticed this in general? I know some of the meanest people can still like babies or puppies or something, but I get the idea that some people who say they dislike children are rather serious, and have lost their innocence in a way. Of course some may just say they and dislike them on a very superficial level, but I also think they have forgotten the child within them, and maybe need to re-connect with that.
Dunno about the "not very nice "part, but the fact is, that folks who have kids are usually more unhappy than those who don't have kids.

"Parents experience lower levels of emotional well-being, less frequent positive emotions and more frequent negative emotions than their childless peers," says Florida State University's Robin Simon, a sociology professor who's conducted several recent parenting studies, the most thorough of which came out in 2005 and looked at data gathered from 13,000 Americans by the National Survey of Families and Households. "In fact, no group of parentsómarried, single, step or even empty nestóreported significantly greater emotional well-being than people who never had children.

It's such a counterintuitive finding because we have these cultural beliefs that children are the key to happiness and a healthy life, and they're not."


Does Having Children Make You Happy? - Newsweek
 
Old 08-30-2010, 03:45 PM
 
369 posts, read 664,548 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Wow, you sound like a lot of fun. Anyhow, where you are wrong is that most people, especially adults who weren't around babies, find them unnerving because they aren't used to them. When I see a girl who is unnerved by a baby, I think, i bet she is the youngest child in the family and probably under 22 to have so little life experience. Or if the girl is say, in her 30s, then she probably is still the youngest child and has very little contact with friends and family and is generally self-obsessed and acts like she is 22 but knows a few big words. Most women in my circle who have chosen to not have kids are okay with babies, you know for an hour or two, they just realize the lifestyle change required to have one isn't for them.
Well you are wrong. My wife has several friends, in their 30's and 40's, who not at all comfortable or adept with babies. Quite frankly I'm better with babies than they are. As for no life experience, youngest child and self obsessed, you are again wrong. The women I'm referring to volunteers with our rape crisis center and domestic violence shelter. They not only volunteer, they stick their necks out in potentially volatile situations and help women and children in crisis. They can devote much time to this becasue of their lifestyle choices. On the other side I know many a self obsessed soccer mom who have the maturity of teenagers. Remember Wanda Holloway? Being "ok with babies" or a parent is not a sign of adulthood just as being childfree is not a sign of immaturity or self centeredness.
 
Old 08-30-2010, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,294,119 times
Reputation: 10915
Theodore Geisel and his wife never had kids--nor did they want them.

You might know him better by his professional name--Dr. Seuss.
 
Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 PM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 35,007,171 times
Reputation: 42372
Did Dr. Seuss dislike children? This thread is about people who dislike children.
 
Old 08-30-2010, 06:42 PM
 
5,148 posts, read 4,227,012 times
Reputation: 2865
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Did Dr. Seuss dislike children? This thread is about people who dislike children.
He did not want them in his house,
He did not want them with Mickey Mouse,
He did not like there childish underwear,
nor did he like their greasy hair,
He did not like kids a damm,
He did not like them Sam I am.
 
Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,294,119 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Did Dr. Seuss dislike children? This thread is about people who dislike children.

Most people would consider someone adamant about never having children as someone who dislikes them. I personally don't think that the two really should be conflated....but many people would say that if you don't want kids of your own, or want them living in your home, that you do not like them.
 
Old 08-31-2010, 08:41 AM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,276,297 times
Reputation: 5906
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Did Dr. Seuss dislike children? This thread is about people who dislike children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Most people would consider someone adamant about never having children as someone who dislikes them. I personally don't think that the two really should be conflated....but many people would say that if you don't want kids of your own, or want them living in your home, that you do not like them.
Yeah, methinks some folks are being a bit, um, "anal" about this. The OP didn't specify what "dislike" means, so unless we're talking about the guy who yells at kids on his lawn, etc., wanting/not wanting kids is how I'm understanding it, too.

Although come to think of it, some people probably shouldn't have kids to begin with, regardless whether they "like" them or not!
 
Old 12-23-2010, 08:07 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,523 times
Reputation: 14
I was married years ago but I've been single for a long time. I don't have children and don't miss having them. I've seen plenty of people who have kids that should never have had them, because they don't know how to take care of them properly. I think some people have kids for selfish reasons and are not thinking of the environment and future for their children. There are too many kids out there that are abused, living in poverty or on drugs etc. A lot of kids brought up, especially in big cities, are loud and rude to their parents, teachers and other people of authority. There are lots of reasons why people choose to not have kids. They should not be considered 'not nice' or 'self-centered' just cause they don't want kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top