U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 09:55 PM

1,004 posts, read 480,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Post #485 said exactly that. Wasn't you.
Ahhh, my mistake and apologies. Carry on.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:41 PM

35,822 posts, read 39,431,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moddestmike View Post
Its never been said that they should remain silent, your assumptions are quite wrong and no where in my post did I say such things. You must be a "proud parent".

I have no children, and I was referring to TKramar's post.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:54 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,279,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Choosing not to have kids is not necessarily synonymous with NOT LIKING kids. The question posed originally in this thread was not about those who have chosen different paths in their lives than being parents, but about those who actively DISLIKE children.
Why is it bad to dislike children?

Old 12-26-2010, 11:15 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,804,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
When can kids ever stay still and silent? Maybe in the "Leave it to Beaver" halcyon days of the early 60's, but not in the past 30 years. I have no hesitation to say I hate kids, always have, and most of the people I know who have small kids resent them and are miserable. They envy those smart enough never to have had them. Do they admit it? Very rarely... and invariable get defensive when the subject is broached.
It sounds more like they probably don't resent them or envy people who don't have them, and "get defensive" when the subject is brought up because they don't like your opinion on the matter. Sounds to me like you're projecting your issues with disliking children onto the greater population, who doesn't harbor your dislike.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:18 AM

2,412 posts, read 4,393,626 times
This thread topic always materializes around the holidays, ever notice that? Geee I wonder why? Couldn't be all the movies about meanies hating kids could it?

Old 12-26-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
This thread topic always materializes around the holidays, ever notice that? Geee I wonder why? Couldn't be all the movies about meanies hating kids could it?
And then maybe all the childfree folks are at their wits' end and need to come vent about their frustrations with children because the poor dears can't go buy a pizza at the supermarket without passing by a kid fussing with their parents for ice cream.

These will set you back about $11 after tax at Best Buy, and I've found that despite their small size, their good bass response reprodouces a full sound spectrum that pleasantly blocks out offensive ambient noises. It's a lot easier to listen to Blur than get pissed off at society.

http://www.morgan111morgan.com/images/Gumy-Earphones-Olive-Black-HAF130BE.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by 415_s2k; 12-26-2010 at 11:38 AM..

Old 12-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It sounds more like they probably don't resent them or envy people who don't have them, and "get defensive" when the subject is brought up because they don't like your opinion on the matter. Sounds to me like you're projecting your issues with disliking children onto the greater population, who doesn't harbor your dislike.
So shouldn't people healthily deal with others' opinions?

Old 12-26-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
So shouldn't people healthily deal with others' opinions?
Absolutely. And people who don't like children play just as important a role in this as people who do have them.

Would you expect someone who has children and loves them to continue to be roses and cinnamon buns when they've just been told that their choice to have children is selfish, stupid, etc. and that their children are awful?

Old 12-26-2010, 04:23 PM

35,822 posts, read 39,431,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
Why is it bad to dislike children?
Depends on how your dislike of children makes you behave towards them or their families. The question originally posed was if the perception of people who don't like children is that they are "not very nice." There are a lot of answers to that on this thread. So while it's not inherently good or bad to dislike ANYTHING, children included, people form impressions of your character based on these things. These impressions may or not be accurate, but fact is, they're gonna be formed. Just the way it is.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Depends on how your dislike of children makes you behave towards them or their families. The question originally posed was if the perception of people who don't like children is that they are "not very nice." There are a lot of answers to that on this thread. So while it's not inherently good or bad to dislike ANYTHING, children included, people form impressions of your character based on these things. These impressions may or not be accurate, but fact is, they're gonna be formed. Just the way it is.
Where do these opinions come from, pop culture? Or anything truly concrete?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or