Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,723 times

Advertisements

Well said. Well said. I wish more people had your and your daughter's attitude.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not making any judgments myself, but people like this are often portrayed as self-centered, impatient and not very warm. Of course hating any group for no good reason is probably not a good thing, but have you noticed this in general? I know some of the meanest people can still like babies or puppies or something, but I get the idea that some people who say they dislike children are rather serious, and have lost their innocence in a way. Of course some may just say they and dislike them on a very superficial level, but I also think they have forgotten the child within them, and maybe need to re-connect with that.
Basically what you're saying is somebody who doesn't like children has a character flaw.

Speaking as a father of three, I can say that not everybody is cut out to be around children. Kids are noisy, messy, require attention, and limit what you can say and do.

But that's not the same thing as saying somebody is selfish for not wanting to be around children.

A parallel to this are so-called dog people. I've heard dog lovers say that people who do not like dogs aren't genuine and caring people. It's awfully self-congratulatory of them simply because I don't care for the noise, the poop, the smell, and the fur all over our furniture.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:26 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times
All reproductive choices are inherently selfish. End of story. People who've proven that they are capable of reproducing (woo-hoo!) don't have a leg up over those who prefer to remain child-free.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:45 PM

562 posts, read 2,403,439 times
I am thinking about the idea lately that people who really like having kids should have several of them, and people who don't show a strong motivation should absolutely NOT have them. I really think that would help with the population issues, and the issues of abused/neglected children. I have known several people who did not want children, two(men) are now divorced because some level of hope for kids was given to their partners. So being honest on this topic is huge.

We who are very sure we want children, I have known since I was a 12 yr old babysitter, should make sure we do not judge or pressure those who seem hesitant to "breed" when society expects them to. As an only child who went on to have 4 biological children, I can say that being one of several is far healthier. Siblings are less neurotic and do better socially than onlies. People should not get all fired up about having a number of kids(excepting Octomom et. all)

So, in conclusion, don't judge those who dislike children, or don't want children. The world will be a better place if people of all cultures accept those who don't want to reproduce. I don't see myself as superior. The most interesting and productive people I know never had kids. I am not too fond of people who despise children, but I respect those who don't adore them like I do. And few people out-do me in the maternal instinct category.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:29 PM

382 posts, read 758,467 times
I don't like children, especially babies and toddlers. I don't find them cute, they are annoying and misbeahve in public most of the time. I just don't have the patience for kids, they make me loose my temper after 1 or 2 minutes in my presence.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:36 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
I LUV lil chillens

Chicken Fried is best

Old 09-04-2009, 03:50 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
I love children hence I have one...very innocent. Some people need to be reminded that they aren't adults soo they don't think like we do. Talk to them on their level. I love the funny stuff they say or do. Most children have their good and bad days. Just like the adults. Think about how adults act around you....most are children just in grown-up form. I think anyone that likes children is a person I like also.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:04 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
What can I say, everything about PWHC annoys me. I think there's something wrong with them and they probably need to be on antidepressants paralleled with intensive psychotherapy. People who hate children (PWHC)... their very presents sucks the happiness from the air. It's one thing to not want to have children or if you don't have the patience for them (good for you) - it's another when a person literally hates/dislikes kids. This is one group of people that I would never want to be friends with or have as a neighbor and it really would be great if they just vanished off the face of the earth. I don't really care if someone isn't cut out to be a parent (many people aren't - big surprise there) that's no excuse to loath a group of people who are - essentially - ignorant and defenseless of the hate/hostility bestowed upon them (in reference to children). I've seen people - who hated kids - blatantly be rude and snappy to someone half their size and a quarter of their age just because they are... kids. It's pathetic. I don't care to be understanding of this group of haters who can't even be understanding of the basic developmental stage of human beings. As far as I'm concerned, these type of people should stay away from me, my family, and society in general.

Just my two cents

Old 09-04-2009, 05:41 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
It's odd for me sometimes, I was adopted, and my adoptive mother always has told me that when she found out she was infertile it was the most DEVASTATING thing to ever happen to her, because what she wanted most in life was to be a mother, etc.

I'm around the age now that she was when she began pursuing fertility treatments (that were ultimately unsuccessful) and....wow....I just can't comprehend going through the trouble that she did to try to have kids. Obviously, the end result was the adoption of me, but still...

For one, I can't imagine even TRYING to have kids for another decade at least (I'll be in my mid-30s), and furthermore it just seems to me that if I did have trouble conceiving, I wouldn't go through hurdles to have a child. I'd just look at it as something I won't have to deal with, and one that gets me more alone time with my husband. In fact, if I were to become unexpectedly pregnant NOW, I don't even think I'd go through with having the child...just not right for me at the moment (here comes the flaming...).

Old 09-04-2009, 05:43 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I've seen people - who hated kids - blatantly be rude and snappy to someone half their size and a quarter of their age just because they are... kids. It's pathetic. I don't care to be understanding of this group of haters who can't even be understanding of the basic developmental stage of human beings
Although I'm not a "kid lover" I agree with you that acting that way towards kids is completely wrong and uncalled for. I fall into the "I don't have patience/don't think I'd be a good mother" group, rather than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology