Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not making any judgments myself, but people like this are often portrayed as self-centered, impatient and not very warm. Of course hating any group for no good reason is probably not a good thing, but have you noticed this in general? I know some of the meanest people can still like babies or puppies or something, but I get the idea that some people who say they dislike children are rather serious, and have lost their innocence in a way. Of course some may just say they and dislike them on a very superficial level, but I also think they have forgotten the child within them, and maybe need to re-connect with that.
I don't like kids and I am very nice! Since when does liking or disliking a certain group of people determine how nice someone is?

It also depends on the circumstances. Racism to me is wrong and it's wrong to generalise, but maybe someone was hurt or abused by a person from a different race. That can take a toll on a person, and while I think disliking someone based on their race is wrong, in that case of the example, I would understand where the person is coming from.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:09 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Okay. After reading a lot of these posts, I have to ask. Since when did children become the center of the freaking universe?

Look, I love my kids. I like other people's kids if they're reasonably well behaved, don't throw temper tantrums and don't behave like pampered little brats all the cotton-picking time.

That being said, kids are the not the sine qua non of our existence. Our entire basis of evaluating others has zip to do with how much they love kids. Heck, I've known some people who loved their children who were pretty grotesque individuals in every other sense of the word. I've also known kind and generous people who just didn't like being around the little buggers. Heck, Joseph Stalin doted on his children. Does that make him an intrinsically good person? I don't think so.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 AM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I don't like kids and I am very nice! Since when does liking or disliking a certain group of people determine how nice someone is?

It also depends on the circumstances. Racism to me is wrong and it's wrong to generalise, but maybe someone was hurt or abused by a person from a different race. That can take a toll on a person, and while I think disliking someone based on their race is wrong, in that case of the example, I would understand where the person is coming from.
Disliking children is not comparable to bigotry. We all had the first hand experience of being children. It's not like ignorance since we all lived it. When I was a child I thought most kids were horrible. And the nastier kids grew into mean losers as adults.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:20 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,709 times
^^^^Here here! I too remember my school days quite clearly and I was popular and STILL you couldn't pay me to be around many of them! Children are not automatically good and worthwhile for any random adult. For all the potential they have parents and circumstance can transform them into something very ugly. There are child rapists, theives, and murderers. No one can say they are sweetness and light and worthy of crowds parting. They are just people like adults are.

Frankly I enjoy living in a building with no children. They are cute from afar as I pass them on the street but not running through tha halls, stomping overhead, running in teenege bully packs, etc.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:30 PM

434 posts, read 933,477 times
To love children means tremendous amount of giving

So you should figure it out the answer now

Old 09-09-2009, 08:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not making any judgments myself, but people like this are often portrayed as self-centered, impatient and not very warm. Of course hating any group for no good reason is probably not a good thing, but have you noticed this in general? I know some of the meanest people can still like babies or puppies or something, but I get the idea that some people who say they dislike children are rather serious, and have lost their innocence in a way. Of course some may just say they and dislike them on a very superficial level, but I also think they have forgotten the child within them, and maybe need to re-connect with that.
Many people assume that I do not like children because I don't have much good to say about them. Nothing could be further from the truth. What I do not like is PARENTS who do not train up their children to behave. Children, when left to their own devices are no better than little animals, as any visit to Walmart will prove. They are not enjoyable to be around. However, a well behaved, well trained child is certainly much more pleasant to be around.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-09-2009, 08:38 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglebell View Post
To love children means tremendous amount of giving

So you should figure it out the answer now
Michael Jackson loved children...and look at how he turned out.

Liking or disliking children doesn't determine what kind of person a person is. There are good people who hate children and bad people who love them...as well as the other way around.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:14 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,497 times
I agree with the OP. I haven't met someone who disliked children who was honestly very pleasant to be around.

I think apart of it is also jealousy strangely enough. I don't know of what exactly, but for some reason the two people I knew who disliked children seemed to have almost a jealousy or a resentment towards them. Very strange.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:19 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Well, here is my thing:

I completely understand how some people do not want to have children. They are hard work, very hard work, even if it's just one.

However, I do not understand how people can dislike children. I will not go as far as to say that PWDC are bad people, I just don't understand how can anyone not like them! Children are the most precious, innocent human beings on this earth, who are still learning and absorbing this world. PWDC should not be anywhere near children if they can help it. Children do not need any negative vibes around them, as it is this world is cruel. I don't even know why I brought my child into this cruel world that's not getting any better, but yet again, it wasn't me, it was God's choice.

And although, I don't usually bring religion into Relationship forum, Christ said that whoever welcomes a child into his home will be welcomed in Christ's home and whoever rejects him, will be rejected as well.

Be kind to our children! They are our future, we are leaving the world to them. We all were children once!

Very inspiring MM. Such positive words and so true .

Old 09-09-2009, 11:52 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
I hate children and have often been told I am cold hearted,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology