Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times

Advertisements

I don't get people getting all worked about up children. So a baby cries in a restaurant. So a kid kicks the back of your seat in an airplane. So what. No one "likes" these behaviors. But, some people accept that kids are a fact of life and learn to think beyond how something or someone affects themself.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 15 hours ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
I simply like a life of peace, quiet, and freedom. That pretty much precludes me spending more than a few hours in any one stretch around kids. Heck, I even find it emotionally draining to play with non-adult relatives. I doesn't mean I'm not a kind person - just that I'm not the "father figure" type.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:44 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I don't get people getting all worked about up children. So a baby cries in a restaurant. So a kid kicks the back of your seat in an airplane. So what. No one "likes" these behaviors. But, some people accept that kids are a fact of life and learn to think beyond how something or someone affects themself.
The issue is to give them slack for behaving like this, since it cannot be helped.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
The issue is to give them slack for behaving like this, since it cannot be helped.
Yeah, i'd love it if all kids were perfectly well behaved all the time and also had perfect parents. I'd also love it if it rained ten dollar bills when money was tight. There is a time to get all indignant about injustice and there is a time to accept things how they are.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:59 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times
My boyfriend did nothing wrong except stop the BS that was going on and made it possible for EVERYONE around those irresponsible, POS parents to enjoy their dining expierence. I'd repeat it all over again if needed.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:23 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac
I'm talking about people who truly dislike children, and to an extent, dislike ALL teenagers. That kind of blanket dislike.
I know exactly what you mean. And in meeting these people as a child and teen, I often saw that it was their own bitterness. Either they felt like they couldn't be as care-free, or felt incompetent in child-caring, or just in general didn't "click" with children. I'm not saying it was some huge trauma, just that it was usually because there was some sort of friction there for whatever reason. It's not something I hold against people who dislike children, it's just something I picked up on very easily because I was always very sensitive to the emotions of people around me.

I don't think an extremist view anywhere on the spectrum does any good. Whether it's adults who think they are inherently better than children, not just as adults but as human beings, or whether it's parents who think they are inherently better because they had children, or whether it's adults who think that other adults who dislike children are cold and callous. They end up projecting mental images of whatever group they have a strong opinion about, and because they are then seeing their experiences through a colored lens, only see the experiences that reinforce the beliefs that are already there. There comes a point where what one sees is more in their mind than in front of their eyes, and in that case they are doing both themselves and the people around them a great disservice by not opening their eyes and giving anyone (including themselves) another chance.

Each person is different, every story is different. Not all children are needy brats, not all adults are mature and responsible, not all parents are good parents, and not all childless adults are traumatized or cold-hearted. There isn't really one conclusion you can draw about any opinion.

Quote:
Anyone who hates children or animals is not a very nice person in my book. It takes a kind hearted person to be willing to care for both children and animals
I agree that it takes a kindhearted person to be willing to care for both children and animals, but I don't think that not being able to care for them makes someone not kindhearted. There's an erroneous step in logic here. Basically you're saying:

p = q therefore,
not p = not q.

But the thing is people can be kindhearted in other ways that don't involve caring for children or pets. I know people who are excellent at giving massages, doing bodywork, and have a very healing, empathetic, kindhearted aura to them. But they just don't do well with children or animals because their kindheartedness lies in another area or is different in nature. For example, some people are good listeners when there is a professional distance (such as a therapist) or when it's not on a daily basis, but don't make good listeners if it's every hour of every day.

Other people are kindhearted but realize for other reasons that they don't make a good parent. Maybe because they would be so attached and so afraid to see their child or pet hurt that they would end up being controlling and overbearing. Some people would like to have children or pets but they feel like they can't trust themselves with children because the adults in their own childhood crossed boundaries and they are afraid they might cross those boundaries too.

Like I said before, each person's story is different, so there isn't really one conclusion that can be drawn.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
My boyfriend did nothing wrong except stop the BS that was going on and made it possible for EVERYONE around those irresponsible, POS parents to enjoy their dining expierence. I'd repeat it all over again if needed.
don't know what he did (probably many pages back in the thread), but imagine it was some variety of confronting a family with a loud or unruly child. again i say, such children are a fact of life. if you have a confrontational personality, you'll confront them, if you don't, you might judge silently. there are a few out there who would be able to enjoy their dinner regardless, but such people are few and far between unfortunately.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:59 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post

Yes he did do something wrong in that HE HAD NO RIGHT to take the utensils from that child.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,328 times
How is nice being defined?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:22 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not making any judgments myself, but people like this are often portrayed as self-centered, impatient and not very warm. Of course hating any group for no good reason is probably not a good thing, but have you noticed this in general? I know some of the meanest people can still like babies or puppies or something, but I get the idea that some people who say they dislike children are rather serious, and have lost their innocence in a way. Of course some may just say they and dislike them on a very superficial level, but I also think they have forgotten the child within them, and maybe need to re-connect with that.
It's true. I dislike kids very much and I am all of the above. But I also dislike most people. I'm not so much mean as crotchety and ornery, and think that the world is full of tomfoolery and too many shenanigans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology