Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,273,112 times

Advertisements

Likely, anecdotal experience. If every person I met who disliked children was an intolerant, impatient sort, I might surmise that people who dislike children are overall intolerant and impatient by nature.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:19 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,832,316 times
Default Are people who dislike children generally 'not very nice?'

Perhaps they just haven't tried them with right sauce yet.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:23 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,794,115 times
I have kids, who are well behaved in public...and always have been. I have friends who are childless that don't mind being around my kids because they are so well behaved.

I have no tolerance for ill-mannered little heathens who run rampant, making a nuisance of themselves.....and I blame the parents.

So I can sympathize with childless couples who don't care for kids.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:57 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,431,317 times
NO, I just do not like naughty children.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,794,115 times
Neither do I, so I wouldn't think childless people would care for them at all. I have had people come up to me in restaurants, when the girls were little (2 & 4) and tell me what lovely, well behaved kids they are. I was shocked at the time that it would be noteworthy, but then as I noticed the horrible behavior of a lot of kids in public places, I could understand their "gratitude" of not having to listening to a whining, screaming little brat while eating your lunch.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:47 PM

88,041 posts, read 83,864,110 times
So...did these people who dislike children dislike children when they themselves were children, or did they acquire this dislike when they became adults?

My daughter, now 19, does not like children. She is the youngest of her generation in my family and an only child. I remember when she was five and my niece was visiting with my infant great-nephew that she wanted nothing to do with him, and I figured it was jealousy. When she became of the age when she was old enough to babysit, she didn't really want to earn money that way, preferring to shovel out the stalls where she took horseback riding lessons. She also has said that children don't like her, lol, but perhaps they sense her dislike of them in the first place. I don't know. Last year she was a lifeguard at a pool at a co-op building, and she was highly annoyed because the 11/12/13-year-old boys kept breaking the rules and would run, hold one another's heads under water, etc., and wouldn't listen when she told them to stop. I told her this was not unusual behavior for boys of that age and that she shouldn't take their disregard for her so seriously.

In my daughter's case, I think that she doesn't like children because she has a set of rules in her head about how other people should behave, and children don't always conform to such rules. I wonder if other child-disdainers have this same personality.

By the way, when she was little, she was the kind of kid that other adults remarked upon for her good behavior, nice manners, well-spoken ways, advanced vocabulary, etc. No one seemed to notice her intolerance, hehehe.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:30 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,355,194 times
I can't speak for other childfree people, but I didn't like kids even when I was a child.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,777,079 times
personally. im not a "child" kind of gal...

i always joke that my kids are furry, have four legs and dont require a college fund...

in reality, my maternal instinct towards small humans never kicked in (hormones are kind of wacky)...least thats what my GYN says lol.
personally i dont buy it because even as a child i didnt like kids my age, i played on my own, had (and still have) a wonderfull imagination and would rather interact with local wildlife and watch the birds than play with the other kids in the neighborhood, i was a loner even as a toddler.

now i dont mind children, i find babies adorable...as long as i can 1: give them back when i feel ive had my fill and 2: they behave. i cannot stand badly behaved, or bratty children.
good kids i can be around in moderation but i dont get those "mommy" feelings people tell me women should get around babies (it does happen however around baby animals lol)

as to whether im generally not a nice person because of it...
i happen to think im a very nice person, im polite, kind, love animals, get along with almost everyone at least on some level, volunteer...ect.

but at the same time i understand why people might think that way because i personally get that way with people that dont like any animals...
i mean someone could say "i ont like cats, but i love my dog" and id be fine wit that, but if someone told me they "hate animals" id assume thats not a "happy" or "well adjusted" person...and thats 100% because eveyrone ive ever met who hates animals is generally not a nice person...

so is it true? absolutly not...
but do i understand the thought? absolutly. lol

Old 12-27-2010, 06:57 PM

543 posts, read 996,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Funny, basically I'm not interested in the children's world (their games, Pokemon, their boisterousness) and yet I get along much better with children than with adults.
I guess it's because I'm staying young at heart!

I'm 22 and I still enjoy pokemon very much.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:01 PM

543 posts, read 996,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In my daughter's case, I think that she doesn't like children because she has a set of rules in her head about how other people should behave, and children don't always conform to such rules. I wonder if other child-disdainers have this same personality.
This is the kind of people I can't stand; people that expect everyone to be the way the want them to be. We're all different; we cannot be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
By the way, when she was little, she was the kind of kid that other adults remarked upon for her good behavior, nice manners, well-spoken ways, advanced vocabulary, etc. No one seemed to notice her intolerance, hehehe.
I was a bratty, rowdy kid who was also a genius; I always picked on her kind. They bored me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology