Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2009, 07:48 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times

Advertisements

i just dislike kids

What did they do to you ?
I mean, I'm not that into kids, but lots of them are likeable, my experience!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:51 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
i just dislike kids

What did they do to you ?
I mean, I'm not that into kids, but lots of them are likeable, my experience!
I don't think there is a rational reason for why I do. I just do.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:06 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post

The people who don't like people who don't like kids are not very nice people.
:nods: looking at this thread you are correct about that.

People who dislike children have no say in America. Ever wondered what happened to the full length quiznos torpedo commercial?

Cut because apparently only children watch TV.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not making any judgments myself, but people like this are often portrayed as self-centered, impatient and not very warm.
As a general rule, its true IMO.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
Probably a lot of people are like myself.... they don't like to be around spoiled brats that think the whole world revolves around them and the parents who let them do whatever they want, scream, yell, run into people in stores, disruptive behavior in restaurants, at movies etc.

I like well behaved kids, which seem to be the minority these days and I actually like a lot of teenagers.

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-19-2009, 02:44 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
What's worse to me are parents who just never stop talking about their kids. They have this amazing ability to bend and twist every single conversation into something about their kid:
I find it no different than someone who discusses their job like that, or sports, or their favorite hobby. If it is ALL they discuss, then yes it is very annoying. If it is a big part of their life and it gets brought up often that is very different.

I'm getting the feeling that some of what we are discussing is semantics. I have an almost seven year old son but I am not and have never been maternal towards other children. I don't enjoy "playing" with children. Many kids annoy me to. I don't enjoy being around other children except for my own and I often need lots of time away from my own son. I'm not the favorite aunt. I will play with them some but I would much prefer to be hanging out with my brother and sister where there are some adults who love to be out there playing with the kids.

Anyway, my point is that I am what many of you say you are. But I still wouldn't say I dislike kids. And I certainly don't despise them but I don't despise anyone except for a few evil people in history perhaps. Someone that despises kids probably has a whole lot of hate and negativity in them. So perhaps people are using words like dislike and despise much more freely than I would

Old 04-19-2009, 04:23 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Hate & dislike are the not the same thing to me. Dislike means you don't care for their company, they don't interest you, or they annoy you. There's no active feeling when children are not around. Hate means something much more intense and dark. It's an active feeling that one harbors.

I say I am not a "kid person" or I am not "crazy about kids" because while I don't hate children at all, I don't like most. You might say I dislike kids as a whole. There are individual children I like a lot, and when I put my mind to it I do fine with kids. I've worked with kids and both enjoyed it and couldn't stand it. Quite honestly, same goes for adults though

I also don't ignore kids & am not mean to them, but I am not the kind to run up to someone and ask to hold their baby or whatever. I don't seek kids out. Children just do not interest me very much, and they can get on my nerves when they are not well-behaved.

I am a very whimsical and imaginative person, so it's definitely not a lack of relating. I think it has more to do with the nurturing and discipling aspects. I am not particularly nurturing and I have no patience for undisciplined children. I can be nurturing and patient, but it sucks sooo much energy out of me. I don't get any satisfaction from it, as I suspect some people do.

I don't really care what people think of my feelings towards kids. I know I'm a caring person with a lot of integrity & generosity.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:26 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times

Old 04-19-2009, 04:30 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
I find it no different than someone who discusses their job like that, or sports, or their favorite hobby. If it is ALL they discuss, then yes it is very annoying. If it is a big part of their life and it gets brought up often that is very different.

I'm getting the feeling that some of what we are discussing is semantics. I have an almost seven year old son but I am not and have never been maternal towards other children. I don't enjoy "playing" with children. Many kids annoy me to. I don't enjoy being around other children except for my own and I often need lots of time away from my own son. I'm not the favorite aunt. I will play with them some but I would much prefer to be hanging out with my brother and sister where there are some adults who love to be out there playing with the kids.

Anyway, my point is that I am what many of you say you are. But I still wouldn't say I dislike kids. And I certainly don't despise them but I don't despise anyone except for a few evil people in history perhaps. Someone that despises kids probably has a whole lot of hate and negativity in them. So perhaps people are using words like dislike and despise much more freely than I would
well, i don't really hate anybody. Why should I, it only hurts me to hate somebody,

Perhaps despise is a strong word, but I just am not a children person.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
It's a lot like people who dislike animals (as pets). .
I love animals, I have 4 dogs. I consider myself to be a very "nice" person. Children that are well behaved and respectful are a blessing, but oh so very rare. I believe that children are a product of their environment, so barring some sort of real mental disorder, ill-behaved children are only acting the way their parents have instructed them to. I believe that ADD and ADHD are extremely over-diagnosed in order for people that never should have had children, to shirk their responsibility for bringing up difficult children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology