U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2009, 11:36 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

I'm not making any judgments myself, but people like this are often portrayed as self-centered, impatient and not very warm. Of course hating any group for no good reason is probably not a good thing, but have you noticed this in general? I know some of the meanest people can still like babies or puppies or something, but I get the idea that some people who say they dislike children are rather serious, and have lost their innocence in a way. Of course some may just say they and dislike them on a very superficial level, but I also think they have forgotten the child within them, and maybe need to re-connect with that.

 
Old 04-18-2009, 12:00 AM
 
2,193 posts, read 3,112,585 times
Reputation: 1881
Not necessarily, but based on my experience the people I've met who dislike kids come across that way. It's a lot like people who dislike animals (as pets). I see your point though.
 
Old 04-18-2009, 12:02 AM
 
3,844 posts, read 8,331,011 times
Reputation: 2430
I think when people say they dislike children they are saying they dislike the negative qualities of children such as caring for them or when they cry or cause tantrums. I would say most people like children that are well behaved.

I don't want to have kids of my own but I don't mind being around children that are well behaved. In fact, I love children but hate taking care of them. That is why children are not for me.
 
Old 04-18-2009, 12:04 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Not necessarily, but based on my experience the people I've met who dislike kids come across that way. It's a lot like people who dislike animals (as pets). I see your point though.
Yes, I see it as similar to disliking animals, and a disrespect for living beings in general.

Yes of course, I myself get annoyed at kids at times, but for some it seems these negative qualities; their lack of discipline, silliness etc is bad enough that people dislike them. This group is probably a minority though.
 
Old 04-18-2009, 12:09 AM
 
3,088 posts, read 5,866,086 times
Reputation: 1959
I don't get why it freaks people out because someone does not like children. So because I find children to be annoying that means I had a horrible childhood and need to reconnect? Seriously? I also do not like cats perhaps in a passed life I was raped by a kitty.
 
Old 04-18-2009, 12:15 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I don't get why it freaks people out because someone does not like children. So because I find children to be annoying that means I had a horrible childhood and need to reconnect? Seriously? I also do not like cats perhaps in a passed life I was raped by a kitty.
I'm talking about people who truly dislike children, and to an extent, dislike ALL teenagers. That kind of blanket dislike.
 
Old 04-18-2009, 12:19 AM
 
4,838 posts, read 5,180,600 times
Reputation: 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Not necessarily, but based on my experience the people I've met who dislike kids come across that way. It's a lot like people who dislike animals (as pets). I see your point though.
Now days, its easier to like pets than most kids. The pets are usually well behaved and friendly.

However, in my experience, kids have it much better than they did decades ago. For the most part, kids are accepted for things today that wouldn't have been tolerated, then.
 
Old 04-18-2009, 12:22 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
2,657 posts, read 5,020,370 times
Reputation: 4183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
but I get the idea that some people who say they dislike children are rather serious, and have lost their innocence in a way.
in·no·cence (n-sns)n.The state, quality, or virtue of being innocent, as:
a. Freedom from sin, moral wrong, or guilt through lack of knowledge of evil.
b. Guiltlessness of a specific legal crime or offense.
c. Freedom from guile, cunning, or deceit; simplicity or artlessness.
d. Lack of worldliness or sophistication; naiveté.
e. Lack of knowledge or understanding; ignorance.
f. Freedom from harmfulness; inoffensiveness.

So you say that the above can only be experienced in feeling love, or at least a liking, for children? Please. Let's not get all air-fairy and presumptuous about this

In hearing people say "I don't like kids", it's most likely what defines the responsibilities of raising children and the impact to their lives that they want to bypass. Some have such a zero interest in that life path that they don't even notice that kids are around except when they display actions that draw attention.

It would be really-really wonderful if people would just accept that there are some who are just not meant for the parenting life - they feel they don't have the qualities to be good parents. There are some who find the prospect distasteful. And then there are those who can't work up enough interest to even bother thinking about it - ask if they plan to have kids and you'll get the answer "no, I don't. hey, what's for supper?"

I predict that this thread will devolve into the usual fatuousness that run through all such discussions as this. It seems they get started just so that people can come in and declare how wonderful it is to have kids - the thread "who never wants to have kids" was certainly highjacked in that manner. So, why bother with the analysis?
 
Old 04-18-2009, 12:24 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Reputation: 11862
^ Actually, silverwing, I'm not one of the types who 'can't wait to have kids' or the type who blasts those who don't want kids. I totally respect that decision and by no means see it as inferior. I'm more talking about a certain mindset which can't relate to the mindset of children, and almost detests anything 'childish' and 'infantile.' I think more of people who refuse to see the positive traits of childhood.
 
Old 04-18-2009, 12:56 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
2,657 posts, read 5,020,370 times
Reputation: 4183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think more of people who refuse to see the positive traits of childhood.
What's positive? Childhood is a very brief stage in life, though today's helicopter parents seem to want to extend that stage until the kid is in their 20s. Except for some of the innate traits that will later define 'character', childhood is pretty much the same as for most species: a learning/acquiring skills-to-survive stage. Today's parents seem to have exalted that stage merely for their own gratification - the "one smile from my child lights up my life" comments.

A person can take the child-like "positive traits" into adulthood: that life is good; life is joyful; one can be happy; but adulthood means tempering those with common sense and reality. That's what "growing up" is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top