U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:16 PM

25,169 posts, read 34,434,271 times

Advertisements

There are people that are high functioning yet have low self esteem. They are those passive aggressive whiny people that always say they aren't good at anything then upstage you at every turn and at every talent and get all the glory then whine to your face about how they have no friends, no talents, no self esteem.......the conniving jerks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's another one I like, even though I'll use it occasionally: "Self-esteem."

In and of itself, self-esteem is not a bad thing. What I take exception to is how people feel they are automatically entitled to it, like the right to vote. In my opinion, you get self-esteem by actually doing something, not just breathing and taking up space. If you want self-esteem, make decent grades, get a job, or fulfill your basic obligations to society.

Last edited by artsyguy; 06-09-2009 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 03:19 PM

8,067 posts, read 9,237,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's another one I like, even though I'll use it occasionally: "Self-esteem."

In and of itself, self-esteem is not a bad thing. What I take exception to is how people feel they are automatically entitled to it, like the right to vote. In my opinion, you get self-esteem by actually doing something, not just breathing and taking up space. If you want self-esteem, make decent grades, get a job, or fulfill your basic obligations to society.
I've never heard of someone feeling entitled to self-esteem. Can you give an example?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 PM

25,169 posts, read 34,434,271 times
Yep, self esteem isn't an issue for some people. Others it is, they can't get up and do anything good with their lives without first having an ounce of self esteem....they don't feel worthy of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I've never heard of someone feeling entitled to self-esteem. Can you give an example?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:31 PM

4,691 posts, read 4,016,507 times
Blaming irresponsible choices on being young and stupid.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:35 PM

16,623 posts, read 14,385,165 times
I don't like the term "Neurotic"

I don't like when ADD/ADHD, Obesity, or alcoholism are referred to as "diseases." I don't know if I even consider them to be actual disorders.

I think "bipolar" is a term used in a sloppy fashion, as well as schizophrenia

Old 06-09-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Blaming irresponsible choices on being young and stupid.
Oh man, that is right up there with "He/she is teenager" when they're cussing their parents out and smoking weed in the backyard.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 PM

4,691 posts, read 4,016,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Oh man, that is right up there with "He/she is teenager" when they're cussing their parents out and smoking weed in the backyard.
Which is right up there with parents who wont spank their spoiled rotten child when he/she throws a temper tantrum. It may not be PC, but sometimes a good ass whippin is just what a kid needs to straighten up.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Yep, self esteem isn't an issue for some people. Others it is, they can't get up and do anything good with their lives without first having an ounce of self esteem....they don't feel worthy of it.
I get that, but that's not feeling entitled if they don't feel worthy, si?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
Which is right up there with parents who wont spank their spoiled rotten child when he/she throws a temper tantrum. It may not be PC, but sometimes a good ass whippin is just what a kid needs to straighten up.
Grrrrrrrrrr.

I agree.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:55 PM

4,983 posts, read 5,328,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
"How's that working for you?"

Dr. Phil McGraw - quack extraordinaire

Yeah, that fake spawn of Oprah only got ahead because of her seal of approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology