U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2009, 05:05 PM
 
2,385 posts, read 3,704,642 times
Reputation: 2395

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, I like that. You especially see that in a lot of addictions, such as alcoholism. As in alcoholism is a "disease."

Well, if alcoholism were a disease, why don't we have a medical treatment for it? Right now, the only apparent treatment for this so-called disease is to stand in a room full of strangers and talk about what a bad person you are, put your trust in a higher power such as God, and acknowledge that you have no control over your life. Do we treat cancer this way? Or diabetes? I mean, if alcoholism is a disease, then why the heck aren't researchers toiling around the clock to invent a pill for it?
OMG, it's not supposed to be taken so literally.

It's a disease in the sense that, like herpes, you can treat the symptoms, but the disease itself will never go away. It's called a disease to remind people who are alcoholics that no matter how long they have abstained, the can reactivate the "disease" by drinking again, and how their alcoholism can spread and take over their lives.

You are also aware that alcoholism is genetic, so it has a biological component, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 PM
 
2,385 posts, read 3,704,642 times
Reputation: 2395
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
FYI, the term ADD is no longer used, per the AMA...it is now EXCLUSIVELY ADHD

Ya' know, I have never heard of a condition/disease state being eliminated before...they only seem to add new ones
lol. Seriously? I guess we haven't eliminated Polio or treated diabetes.

The medical field is always seeking to improve itself and coming up with new and better ways to treat problems. The mental health profession is no different. As new knowledge becomes available, diagnoses and treatments change accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 05:11 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 47,313,389 times
Reputation: 6944
Yes. That is very true. It also applies for all the other disorders and diseases in the DMS-4.

I laughed out loud when you wrote "talk about what a bad person you are in a room full of strangers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, I like that. You especially see that in a lot of addictions, such as alcoholism. As in alcoholism is a "disease."

Well, if alcoholism were a disease, why don't we have a medical treatment for it? Right now, the only apparent treatment for this so-called disease is to stand in a room full of strangers and talk about what a bad person you are, put your trust in a higher power such as God, and acknowledge that you have no control over your life. Do we treat cancer this way? Or diabetes? I mean, if alcoholism is a disease, then why the heck aren't researchers toiling around the clock to invent a pill for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 05:11 PM
 
13,779 posts, read 23,211,008 times
Reputation: 7378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
lol. Seriously? I guess we haven't eliminated Polio or treated diabetes.

The medical field is always seeking to improve itself and coming up with new and better ways to treat problems. The mental health profession is no different. As new knowledge becomes available, diagnoses and treatments change accordingly.
I am steeped in the medical field so I am quite aware of polio being eradicated...I was being facetious...hence the eye rolling emoticon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Delaware...Oi
1,293 posts, read 2,845,396 times
Reputation: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
OMG, it's not supposed to be taken so literally.

It's a disease in the sense that, like herpes, you can treat the symptoms, but the disease itself will never go away. It's called a disease to remind people who are alcoholics that no matter how long they have abstained, the can reactivate the "disease" by drinking again, and how their alcoholism can spread and take over their lives.

You are also aware that alcoholism is genetic, so it has a biological component, right?
Yeah, this one I'd have to side with you on. There are others that give a predisposition to them becoming a "disease", smoking is another prime example I think.
This one can be seen often, many can smoke with occasionally regularity even getting the full-on nicotine effect or the like and it having no effect on them 'craving' it later even years down the road. For many others it goes from 0-60 addiction in a very short span.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 05:13 PM
 
2,385 posts, read 3,704,642 times
Reputation: 2395
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Yes. That is very true. It also applies for all the other disorders and diseases in the DMS-4.

I laughed out loud when you wrote "talk about what a bad person you are in a room full of strangers".
I guess you've never talked to your friends, family, people on this messageboard about any of your problems. What goes on in AA is no different from that.

If a couple who had an Autistic child refer given references of others who had Autistic children so they could talk with them about their experiences and gather support, no one would think anything of it. What makes AA any different from that? It's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 47,313,389 times
Reputation: 6944
Do you work in the mental health field because calling people dumb isn't professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
There are no dumb phrases, o[B]nly dumb people who misapply them. [/b]




.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 05:15 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 47,313,389 times
Reputation: 6944
AA treatment has a very low recovery rate.

Also talking about how you're a terrible person in front of strangers and then believing in God as the one true higher power isn't scientific or medical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I guess you've never talked to your friends, family, people on this messageboard about any of your problems. What goes on in AA is no different from that.

If a couple who had an Autistic child refer given references of others who had Autistic children so they could talk with them about their experiences and gather support, no one would think anything of it. What makes AA any different from that? It's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 05:16 PM
 
2,385 posts, read 3,704,642 times
Reputation: 2395
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do you work in the mental health field because calling people dumb isn't professional.
I mean, if you want me to treat me like you have a mental disorder, I can do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 47,313,389 times
Reputation: 6944
This thread is pop psychology though not true "medical" diseases that you can observe under a microscope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I am steeped in the medical field so I am quite aware of polio being eradicated...I was being facetious...hence the eye rolling emoticon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top