U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:15 PM

16,623 posts, read 14,385,165 times

Advertisements

OK - I do have to admit, I do buy into the concept of people having different realities. I.E. "My reality".

To me this is like a catch-all for a huge variety of disorders. I don't have to identify them, I can just say, "well, that person sure has a different reality than I do.."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:17 PM

13,779 posts, read 17,039,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
OK - I do have to admit, I do buy into the concept of people having different realities. I.E. "My reality".

To me this is like a catch-all for a huge variety of disorders. I don't have to identify them, I can just say, "well, that person sure has a different reality than I do.."
Oh, yeah! that is a PR/marketing term as well..."perception is reality"...great selling strategy!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 PM

25,169 posts, read 34,434,271 times
People have different realities and that is why sensitivity is good to have for everybody involved......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Oh, yeah! that is a PR/marketing term as well..."perception is reality"...great selling strategy!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:14 PM

13,779 posts, read 17,039,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
People have different realities and that is why sensitivity is good to have for everybody involved......
Ok, Mr.Touchy Feely...

Old 06-10-2009, 05:39 PM

1,293 posts, read 2,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Actually, yes, there is an alcoholic in our wife's family, so we're aware of that. According to Lance Dodus, Professor of Psychology at Harvard, there is no gene for alcoholism. But is it nature or nurture? And if it really is strictly genetic, then why hasn't medical science really looked for a cure?
You do realize not everything has been found yet, right? Medical science gets better and better, but you still can't even get a decent toupee that doesn't get laughs.

Can't explain why 1 person that might take 1 herion shot can shrug the next day and forget all about it, while the other 99 or whatever will sell their soul that very day to get the next injection. Doesn't mean there isn't a genetic basis ALONG with a mind-set reason for doing so to start with and why some can overcome it more easily than others.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:25 PM

3,079 posts, read 2,174,918 times
I hate that anyone who drinks regularly is accused of being an alcoholic. You're not supposed to drink alone - what if you're single and live alone, then you must be an alcoholic if you pop a few after work. If you get DWI at .08 which is about 1 drink for most of us, you get sent to classes as if you are an alcoholic. The whole obsession with rehab these days is over the top. Don't get me started on Drew Pinsky and his VH1 bigtop.

Here's a pop psych term: self-actualization.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:20 AM

6,067 posts, read 5,263,654 times
Dr. Laura wants us to go into "Manual Over Drive" if you are depressed
And I hate when people call in and say "Hi Dr. Laura, I am my children's mother"

Old 06-11-2009, 12:02 PM

25,169 posts, read 34,434,271 times
Dr. Laura isn't qualified to give advice.....at least Dr. Phil has a doctorate in psychology. They both have the same "attitude problem" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Dr. Laura wants us to go into "Manual Over Drive" if you are depressed
And I hate when people call in and say "Hi Dr. Laura, I am my children's mother"

Old 06-11-2009, 01:48 PM

25,279 posts, read 27,422,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
You do realize not everything has been found yet, right? Medical science gets better and better, but you still can't even get a decent toupee that doesn't get laughs.

Can't explain why 1 person that might take 1 herion shot can shrug the next day and forget all about it, while the other 99 or whatever will sell their soul that very day to get the next injection. Doesn't mean there isn't a genetic basis ALONG with a mind-set reason for doing so to start with and why some can overcome it more easily than others.
But that's not really the point, is it? If alcoholism is a disease, then why hasn't medical science actually undertaken the effort to do something about matters? I mean, we have umpteen drugs on the market now that allow 65-year-old men to get hardons, but we do not have a single drug that stops this so-called dependence? I mean, if alcoholism or drug dependence were truly a disease why isn't anybody doing anything about it?

Instead, the best treatment we have to offer is standing up in front of a roomful of people and say, "Hi, my name is Joe, and I'm an alcoholic," and then babbling on about how they screwed up their lives by drinking too much. When you take into account AA's abysmal success rate (They don't even publish their numbers, but a journalist got hold of their internal audits and the figure was somewhere around 3-5%), this isn't therapy. It's shamanism.

I mean, heck, I have a major craving for Doritoes. I like to watch football, too, not to mention work crossword puzzles. I would happily chuck just about everything in the world to go sailing. But I enjoy these things in moderation.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 PM

25,279 posts, read 27,422,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I hate that anyone who drinks regularly is accused of being an alcoholic. You're not supposed to drink alone - what if you're single and live alone, then you must be an alcoholic if you pop a few after work. If you get DWI at .08 which is about 1 drink for most of us, you get sent to classes as if you are an alcoholic. The whole obsession with rehab these days is over the top. Don't get me started on Drew Pinsky and his VH1 bigtop.

Here's a pop psych term: self-actualization.
Yes, and it is usually alcoholics who saddle people with that label. I mean, on average I have a beer or a glass of wine a night. On a rare instance, two. Some weeks, I don't have a drink at all. To sane people, this is very moderate consumption.

Yet, I said as much on this board once, and one particularly shrill poster insisted that I was a raging alcoholic, all because she couldn't keep off the sauce herself.

Which leads me to the other psychological term I hate--projection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology