Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Signal with bells ringing in the background: Pharoah cpg is back

Another of your threads immediately spawned to allegedly assist the "socially inept"?

You get a kick out of mocking folks who seek some form of advice, don't you? In the real world, noone's free of stupid or wrong actions.
No. I just like mocking you.

C'mon. Admit it. There are some pop psychology phrases that sound deep, but are really shallow or, even worse, pardon some dumb behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 04:08 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
"Politically Correct" and anything deemed to be PC.

While not really a pop psychology term, I'm sure it spawned it.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:16 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Yes I know what you mean for example: You will have to go through the pain in order to get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No. I just like mocking you.

C'mon. Admit it. There are some pop psychology phrases that sound deep, but are really shallow or, even worse, pardon some dumb behavior.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:22 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Co-dependant....UGH!! That words drives me batty!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:24 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I don't like the term "Neurotic"

I don't like when ADD/ADHD, Obesity, or alcoholism are referred to as "diseases." I don't know if I even consider them to be actual disorders.

I think "bipolar" is a term used in a sloppy fashion, as well as schizophrenia
FYI, the term ADD is no longer used, per the AMA...it is now EXCLUSIVELY ADHD

Ya' know, I have never heard of a condition/disease state being eliminated before...they only seem to add new ones

Old 06-09-2009, 04:38 PM

Homosexuality was a disease.

They add new ones so that psychiatrists and pharmaceutical companies can make more dough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
FYI, the term ADD is no longer used, per the AMA...it is now EXCLUSIVELY ADHD

Ya' know, I have never heard of a condition/disease state being eliminated before...they only seem to add new ones

Last edited by artsyguy; 06-09-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,188,910 times
While not truly "Pop".

"Karma". This 'finding your center' new age baloney just seems to mystically explain anything that might be right with the unrighteous, or wronged to undeserving like any other religion with even less crazy people behind it making it up as they go.

I can almost taste the vomit in the back of my throat each time.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:00 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,495 times
Quote:
There are no dumb phrases, only dumb people who misapply them.

Example:

Quote:
"Closure."

The person who coined that word apparently believes that 1) life is supposed to be neat and tidy, 2) that the best way to heal emotional wounds is to drag them out into the light of day and talk about them endlessly with the person who caused them, and 3) the ensuing discussion will make things right, particularly if you have a poignant little piano track playing in the background, á la a Lifetime Movie Of The Week.

So what about yours? What's your fave?

Closure doesn't mean any of those things. What closure really is, is the understanding of where the other person is coming from (even if you don't agree) and the acceptance that whatever you don't like (how you were treated, the other person's values) won't be what you want them to be.

Closure = Understanding + acceptance

It's realizing that you can't change a situation and being ok with it.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 PM

The everybody mirrors and reflects who you are BS........is total BS. Say that to the Jews and Gays that suffered in the holocaust.......that disproves that new age garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
While not truly "Pop".

"Karma". This 'finding your center' new age baloney just seems to mystically explain anything that might be right with the unrighteous, or wronged to undeserving like any other religion with even less crazy people behind it making it up as they go.

I can almost taste the vomit in the back of my throat each time.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
oh come on people, if this is all you can come up with maybe you should pop out to this region where it's the accepted vocabulary

here are a few: "This is MY REALITY" anybody in the real world say that? anybody in the real world know what it means? I had to actually request a translation! when I heard it in a long-running local t.v. commercial, I thought they were joking-- they were not!!

CHANGE. many would consider the word to mean improving something, or something that's necessary. not here. the general assessment is if you're content with anything, it means there's something wrong with you-- it's often used hand-in-hand with the word GROW..
one of the dopiest examples I witnessed was another t.v. commercial which was simultaneously advertising a local restaurant and a counseling service! in the commercial, a middle-aged couple was out for their weekly dinner; the guy ordered his usual favorite, and the waitress sadly looked at the woman and said "he's not willing to Change... how does that MAKE YOU FEEL?!?"" implying the guy had some kind of personality defect because he preferred a favorite dish, and that his wife should take it personally...

DECISION. specifically, not recognizing the difference between a "decision" and an "action/behavior."
example: a middle-school student stole her mother's prescription pills, took them to school, gave them to friends who became sick from them... later that night on the news, another kid's mother remarked "She made a Bad Decision."
it's an excuse-- to not have the guts to say "did something Wrong," because in this mindset there's no such thing as 'wrong,' only "personal choice."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology