U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 PM

8,879 posts, read 13,852,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yea I agree PTC. Sometimes it's jaw dropping when I hear what these little kids are saying to each other but at the same time I remember when I was younger all my "so called" buds would call me/mom all kinds of names and I had no choice but to defend myself verbally and sometimes settle it physically.

I feel, all this crap comes from abusive parents and from movies. Many people after watching a move tend to behave like a character that they want to identify with in real life.

Also, I don't know why, but this verbal assault issue is VERY pervasive in the AA communitys.
It's a problem all over, there is crud in every community. But I don't think I've seen it as much and as harsh as I have here in Texas. I have seen every stereotype there is to see here - stuff I thought only existed on TV. The language is bad enough to make me cringe and I grew up in the ghetto, surrounded by the bottom of the barrel.

Yet, the word "stupid" can really grind my gears. Kinda weird, huh? The GD term also stings (using God in a bad way). It's usually followed by MF - I feel like I need a rape kit for my poor wittle ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 06:27 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,095,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Also, I don't know why, but this verbal assault issue is VERY pervasive in the AA communitys.
Yeah. Well that's the wet-brain talkin'.

Or in my case, "Mom & Dad."

Old 07-06-2009, 06:37 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,137,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post

I don't believe in calling people names.You know the saying about how sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.Well negative words do hurt.
I don't believe in calling people names. It's both juvenile and something only small minded, insecure people do. As for words hurting....for me, words only hurt if the person saying them is someone I care about and/or love. Lucky for me, that never happens!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:59 PM

6,343 posts, read 8,487,860 times
Personally, no one word could offend me...when people actually take the effort to insult me and they are spot on about it, that's a different story. Don't laugh, but this song actually offends me more so then anything anyone has ever said to me in my life, probably because... it is indeed, the truth:

YouTube - Randy Newman - Short People

Personally, when I want to offend someone, I don't just use the same old, tired insults, but I come up with new ones Like, for instance, I don't say "suck---------!" I say "make a light meal out of my colon" or "why don't you use the wash-off from my manscaping for listerine?" I mean, you hear things like that and you actually think about them, picture them, and the reaction is usually:

But, if it's a woman I'm insulting...Guys, LISTEN UP! Want to make a woman feel less then dirt? Find that one thing that she's covering up...a beauty mark, a little bald spot, those slightly unstraight teeth she trys to cover up by not smiling with he mouth open, and zero in on it. That, and no matter how skinny or in shape she is, call her fat! That always works to make her cry...not that I'm promoting making women cry, no, not at all...granted, I do get that funny feeling in my tummy everytime I see a pretty young lady in emotional distress, but still, I am not endorsing this behavior, just saying.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,437,255 times
anything that is true.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:02 PM

6,343 posts, read 8,487,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
anything that is true.

Yahh, well, you have a CD user name that's "Huckleberry!"

How's that for offensive?

Old 07-06-2009, 07:46 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,227,864 times
To children, almost any word such as 'stupid' or 'ugly' or anything else. Children's feelings can be hurt so easily, and the damage can last a long time. It makes my skin crawl to hear a parent address their child that way.

In adult language, the C word pretty much is the word for me. I've only used it once in my life, applying it to my BIL's wife who married him in order to pay off her credit cards, slept around on him, contracted herpes and gave it to him, and then tried to claim he beat her regularly. Anybody who knows my brother-in-law knows that he's a lot of things, but not abusive. So, yeah, the C word applied to her without question.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:26 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,095,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
To children, almost any word such as 'stupid' or 'ugly' or anything else. Children's feelings can be hurt so easily, and the damage can last a long time. It makes my skin crawl to hear a parent address their child that way.

In adult language, the C word pretty much is the word for me. I've only used it once in my life, applying it to my BIL's wife who married him in order to pay off her credit cards, slept around on him, contracted herpes and gave it to him, and then tried to claim he beat her regularly. Anybody who knows my brother-in-law knows that he's a lot of things, but not abusive. So, yeah, the C word applied to her without question.
Ugh. How do women like that get proposals???

I watch "Bridezillas" and think, Why don't these men run for the hills?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:30 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,227,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Ugh. How do women like that get proposals???

I watch "Bridezillas" and think, Why don't these men run for the hills?
Well, as I said in a different post, my only explanation has something to do with about ten feet of garden hose and a tennis ball. Because I never found a redeeming characteristic in her. My BIL's best friend, parents, and brothers all tried to warn him, but he just wouldn't listen. A year later, it was over after he had paid off roughly $20,000 in VISA bills.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:47 PM

751 posts, read 1,413,721 times
People who consider others to be Morons. Or call others idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology