Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie Tebo View Post
People who consider others to be Morons. Or call others idiots.
Well, some of them legitimately are. Especially on the Interstate. In that case, it's just character definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 09:05 PM

751 posts, read 1,673,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, some of them legitimately are. Especially on the Interstate. In that case, it's just character definition.

It's all about perception and what we perceive someone to be.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
As a female, I can't stand the following words: broad, chick, MILF, cougar.

As an old-fashioned person: any socializing involving texting, twitting, myspacing, facebooking, etc. Forumming is also sick, OK!

Other random words and phrases: PC (as in political correctness), "green" (and I love green!), global, war on [fill in the blank], terrorism, crisis, good for you, healthy, fit, moderator, 2nd and 3rd world, study (as in made-up stuff presented to the public as facts), "security," terror, vaccines, HOA, mission, goals, team member, team efforts, team spirit, guest (as in a paying customer in a store), valued customer, bottom line, designated zone/area, AA, recovering, addiction, born-again, self-esteem, issue, fat-free, non-fat, how are you doing TODAY? (as if you saw me yesterday), how was your weekend? (perfectly fine before YOU started prying and annoying me on Mon morning), company [insert event].

Of course, there's a lot more in all categories. And of course, I'm guilty of using some, too.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
"Stupid" is probably the most hurtful word, to me. I hear people saying this to their kids (and loved ones) and I just want to jump out of my skin. But what a horrible thing to say to a child.

That said, those closest to me know if I call someone stupid, I have lost all respect for them.

The C word is probably second to that.

"You Stupid Fool" is one my boyfriend likes to use a lot

Old 07-06-2009, 09:15 PM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times
The words that would offend me are "You're overdrawn"

Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
The words that would offend me are "You're overdrawn"
That's what overdraft protection is for! Not that I advocate resorting to it by any means...

Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
As a female, I can't stand the following words: broad, chick, MILF, cougar.

As an old-fashioned person: any socializing involving texting, twitting, myspacing, facebooking, etc. Forumming is also sick, OK!

Other random words and phrases: PC (as in political correctness), "green" (and I love green!), global, war on [fill in the blank], terrorism, crisis, good for you, healthy, fit, moderator, 2nd and 3rd world, study (as in made-up stuff presented to the public as facts), "security," terror, vaccines, HOA, mission, goals, team member, team efforts, team spirit, guest (as in a paying customer in a store), valued customer, bottom line, designated zone/area, AA, recovering, addiction, born-again, self-esteem, issue, fat-free, non-fat, how are you doing TODAY? (as if you saw me yesterday), how was your weekend? (perfectly fine before YOU started prying and annoying me on Mon morning), company [insert event].

Of course, there's a lot more in all categories. And of course, I'm guilty of using some, too.

lol, especially the "valued" customer; yea right....

Old 07-06-2009, 11:43 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,104 times
since i can be verbally mean in 3 languages--i had my choice--but now since my divorce i no longer have an incentive or focus for my namecalling

Old 07-07-2009, 01:15 AM

174 posts, read 374,161 times
Calling someone a looser.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:50 AM

496 posts, read 941,062 times
Oh, not in line with the intent of the op, but it grates on my spine when I hear: "WENT MISSING"

omg It seemed to become really big 6 years ago... that "[so-and-so] went missing on [whatever day]" and its annoyance effect has been numbed just a little, but I still wonder what these writers and speakers are thinking. What is up with adopting English idioms? To me, the sound of 'went missing' is right up there with "I need bathed."

As far as name calling... the things that really make the hair on my neck crawl are guys who call each other "pu55y" to mean something negative (we all know many guys are painfully reliant on pu55y), or the use of "retard" to casually refer to someone who did something stupid.

As far as a word I use to refer to the lowest of the low: when I really lose respect for someone and the thing that really makes my lip snarl in disgust is a... "poser".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology