U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:17 PM

8,868 posts, read 13,844,225 times

Advertisements

"Stupid" is probably the most hurtful word, to me. I hear people saying this to their kids (and loved ones) and I just want to jump out of my skin. But what a horrible thing to say to a child.

That said, those closest to me know if I call someone stupid, I have lost all respect for them.

The C word is probably second to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:21 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
I really don't care if someone calls me anything - I know who I am. I also look at who is saying it. Anyone who calls a child anything outside of his/her name has issues.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:22 PM

25,393 posts, read 29,702,140 times
It really would depend on who is saying it.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:23 PM

751 posts, read 1,413,037 times
Racial slurs just burns my biscuits.Another one that gets me too is when I hear kids and adults alike calling others retards.

I don't believe in calling people names.You know the saying about how sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me.Well negative words do hurt.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 PM

5,273 posts, read 11,907,338 times
"late for dinner"

Old 07-06-2009, 04:49 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,094,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
"Stupid" is probably the most hurtful word, to me. I hear people saying this to their kids (and loved ones) and I just want to jump out of my skin. But what a horrible thing to say to a child.

That said, those closest to me know if I call someone stupid, I have lost all respect for them.

Ditto to every word.

Plus, I've learned that people who call me "stupid" or the like, are usually just insecure about the fact that they can't understand me. I learned this when I was in the middle of just such a conversation at a party, trying to explain something for the 3rd time, and a bystander suddenly asked me what my IQ was. I told him, and he said - "Just as I thought - you could get into MENSA."

You can bet that shut up my conversational partner

Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 PM

I mean in general, whether it is someone close to you or someone who really isn't worth the energy, saying it to you or someone else, and what word defines the lowest of the low in your particular vocabulary.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,705 times
the C word sounds awful..

Old 07-06-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Plus, I've learned that people who call me "stupid" or the like, are usually just insecure about the fact that they can't understand me.
I can relate. I'm not saying I'm a genius, but I encounter a lot of box-thinkers. Anything deeper than what they are accustomed to is a threat to their reality. In the end, I think too much and I'm too uptight. I can deal with that, as long as I'm not stoopid.

By the way, where is a good site for an IQ test? I wanna check my kidneys.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:07 PM

3,440 posts, read 7,047,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

Yea I agree PTC. Sometimes it's jaw dropping when I hear what these little kids are saying to each other but at the same time I remember when I was younger all my "so called" buds would call me/mom all kinds of names and I had no choice but to defend myself verbally and sometimes settle it physically.

I feel, all this crap comes from abusive parents and from movies. Many people after watching a move tend to behave like a character that they want to identify with in real life.

Also, I don't know why, but this verbal assault issue is VERY pervasive in the AA communitys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology