U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,863,075 times

Advertisements

I find my SIL has a good heart but ANNOYING When she comes over anything I make she can't eat because of her GERD which frosts me because she eats everything else she shouldn't eat and at 400 pounds clearly her diet is not being restricted. She calls when she is a half hour away and starts barking orders about what food to have ready so she can start grilling the moments she arrives...she arrives ready to eat like a rabid dog. I think she may have an eating problem so I try and remain calm. She is a dog lover, but, every time I try to discuss a breed of dog I like she announces that dog is basically crummy French Bull Dog, Chinese Crested, Pomeranian, Papillion and now Pit Bull. She owns seven large dogs BTW. She always announces that my dog has to many rules to abide by like the fact that we make him be leash trained and not beg for table scraps There is no such thing as conversation she just directs what is being said and leaves. I could go on and on, but, I won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 12:55 PM

16,227 posts, read 21,985,147 times
Controlling, no. Unhappy and miserable, yeah.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:59 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,963,135 times
That girl would never again be invited into my house. I'd probably do my best to keep all conversations with her to a minimum. This is exactly what I have done with my FIL. Seems pretty insecure. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,232,954 times
We invite people whose company we enjoy. If their behavior or attitude is such we don't enjoy their visits, they don't get invited back.

Works like a charm!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:06 PM

4,941 posts, read 7,086,670 times
Clearly at 400lbs she is a miserable person. People that are not happy with themselves tend to make everyone round them miserable also. Tell her to bring her own food if she is that picky about what she can/can't eat. I bet if you were grilling donuts she would not object!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:10 PM

5,077 posts, read 12,707,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I find my SIL has a good heart but ANNOYING When she comes over anything I make she can't eat because of her GERD which frosts me because she eats everything else she shouldn't eat and at 400 pounds clearly her diet is not being restricted. She calls when she is a half hour away and starts barking orders about what food to have ready so she can start grilling the moments she arrives...she arrives ready to eat like a rabid dog. I think she may have an eating problem so I try and remain calm. She is a dog lover, but, every time I try to discuss a breed of dog I like she announces that dog is basically crummy French Bull Dog, Chinese Crested, Pomeranian, Papillion and now Pit Bull. She owns seven large dogs BTW. She always announces that my dog has to many rules to abide by like the fact that we make him be leash trained and not beg for table scraps There is no such thing as conversation she just directs what is being said and leaves. I could go on and on, but, I won't.
First things first, make sure your rabid dog of an SIL doesn't bite you! (just kidding) secondly, why are you jumping when she calls and orders you around? If it's your house, you are supplying the meal, it should be your rules - fine if she legitimately has a medical issue but to be honest, her GERD is probably being caused by her extreme obesity.

I say your house, your rules and you stop letting her boss you around. If she is that freakin' finicky about her food, she can bring her own.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:20 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,863,075 times
I know I shouldn't jump around, but, she is my husbands sister and he just thinks "oh that is my sister". Her Gerd is totally being caused by her obesity and I have to fix her a plate because once she goes down the stairs and back up from our grill she cannot literally cannot get her breath again to walk two steps.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:45 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,809,137 times
Quote:
When she comes over anything I make she can't eat because of her GERD which frosts me because she eats everything else she shouldn't eat and at 400 pounds clearly her diet is not being restricted.
What is a GERD?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:47 PM

4,941 posts, read 7,086,670 times
Quote:
I know I shouldn't jump around, but, she is my husbands sister and he just thinks "oh that is my sister". Her Gerd is totally being caused by her obesity and I have to fix her a plate because once she goes down the stairs and back up from our grill she cannot literally cannot get her breath again to walk two steps.
I would not fix her plate. She needs to get off her fat rump and do some walking up and down the stairs. If she wanted to eat bad enough she would do it.

As long as you cater to her and accept her behavior it will continue.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:51 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,664,731 times
Maybe the question should have been, what IS GERD?

"Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a chronic digestive disease that occurs when stomach acid or, occasionally, bile flows back (refluxes) into your food pipe (esophagus). The backwash of acid irritates the lining of your esophagus and causes GERD signs and symptoms."

Why doesn't she eat BEFORE she comes over to your house? I wouldn't take too kindly to anyone calling me on the way to MY house, barking orders over the phone at me. It sounds to me like she DOES have an eating problem, and it probably contributed to and/or created her GERD. Yuck.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 09-23-2009 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology