U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 11:59 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,403,146 times

Advertisements

ISFP all day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,766,147 times
I got into the whole Meyer-Briggs thing about eleven years ago. At the time, I was in 8th grade, in math class, which I was almost failing, and found a totally unrelated book on the classroom bookshelf by David Keirsey. Keirsey was one of the figures who popularized the Meyers-Briggs, actually designing his own test that achieved the same end without the outlay involved in purchasing the MBTI, and explaining the types for non-psychologists.

I am an ENTP, although I have also tested INTP, so I call myself an "XNTP".

My brother is a pure ESFP, no doubt about it. He's almost archetypal in how well he fits it.

My sister is an ESTJ, which I personally consider the least attractive temperament for a female. My best friend in middle and high school was also an ESTJ.

My mother is an ISFP. My father tested as ENFP, and I agree with the classification, although he is a marginal "N".

My maternal grandmother, ISTJ; my maternal grandfather, ESTP or ESFP; my paternal step-grandmother, an ESFJ; my paternal grandfather, probably an ESTP or ISTP.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:00 AM

97 posts, read 182,463 times
Istp

Old 06-02-2012, 05:35 AM

9,360 posts, read 8,749,848 times
Not only can the test help define who you are; it aids in understanding other personality types.

For example; at work we took the tests and then placed a small sign on our desk indicating our 'types'. There was a particular employee I needed to work with and he was very standoffish, making it difficult to complete projects successfully. After learning his 'types', I addressed him in a way that would be best for him and it improved our working relationship dramatically.

This has helped me in personal situations as well.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 10 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,702,531 times
I think back on times when I wondered if I was a freak or something since what interested other people was of none to me. And how so many just accept things and I *always* have to tear apart an idea and pull out all the little complexities and usually get blank stares. I've been encouraged to 'be more social' all my life but unless its the specific interest group I have of the same out of the box types, I don't want to be social. I'd rather be home reading a book or watching a good documentary or writing a story. I'd rather play 'bark' and 'meow' with the four legged kids than endure 'small talk" (very small). I learned how to zone all the rest out as minor background noise when necessary and read a book or do something interesting to me.

Then I take this (and I'm sure I've taken it before but it wasn't explained) and it all clicks in place. The article mentioned somewhere back in this thread is so dead on. Its cool to know that the feeling that I'm different than most of the herd is really true. INTJ female, rarest of the type. I actually like being among the rare. :-).

Physical health got in the way of plans, but I think I could have made it if the body had cooperated. But I'd like to hold the result up to all who made us go to social things so we wouldn't be 'isolated'. Having to 'socialize' is worse than having it just happen.

Its also very interesting that we actually process information differently than extroverts, now that I want to read more of.

I wonder how you can take the long form test, since I'd think more of the yes/no answers would be more defined on that.

I love science fiction conventions, but at the one world con in a fifty story hotel, after a while I went up to the 45'th floor (last one we could and sat in the conversation nook alone just to have space and watch below. All my kind of people, but even when they are had to have that quiet moment.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:02 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,189,981 times
I definitely find myself far less judgemental than the population as a whole, not that I'm immune from judging (sometimes unfairly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or