Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

If you are only in your early 50s, you can join a club or group you are interested in. A lot of people who are seniors join a center to meet others, get out, and just socialize. The library offers programs, for example. Local colleges often have activities for the general public.

You sound depressed (and who wouldn't blame you based on the fact you're physically separated from your wife). Maybe you can get some counseling and find a new direction in life.

Isolation is the worst part of 'existing.' Without a job and nothing to look forward to each day (apart from 'domestic duties') I feel like I am just drifting and wasting my life.

You need a purpose. What about volunteering once a month to help others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 AM

513 posts, read 1,581,514 times
I'm in no way a "lifelong single guy", I'm still in my prime as of now. Though I have been single for quite some years and at this moment, I'm not really looking to get rid of my single-hood, at least not in the near term. I'm not intentionally keeping myself single, I just got tired of changing myself to fit others' expectations and going out of my way to make myself appealing to others. (being the youngest kids with several married sisters doesn't help either, I see with my own eyes how mundane and uninteresting married life is, especially after you have kids). If there were a woman who like me for who I am and who doesn't dwell on the whole rituals of dating, wooing, courting and proposing with a zillion details need attending. I'm certainly open to marriage. But unless that happens, I'm not gonna waste my time on pretending to somebody else's "Mr.Charming".

My analysis of myself of the future is purely speculative. My feeling is always "as long as money and social status are not a problem for you, I truly don't see being single could make you miserable". So I think whatever misery you find yourself in right now is fundamentally a misery induced by your financial difficulties rather than anything directly related to being single, frankly, if you had free cash, there are so many other venues that you can entertain yourself, including sexually. I'm not rich, but I have free cash because I don't have any financial responsibilities to others on my shoulder, so I don't feel miserable at all even though I'm single. My advice to you is to concentrate on digging yourself out of financial difficulty, without money squeeze, everything will be different.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:02 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
a few good things. i can enjoy the world around me birds nature the trees and flowers, that does not change alone or with others.
the other is what i dont have.
i am no longer a servant in my own home.
i no longer get thousands of dollars in debt assigned to me every month for charges i did not make
i am no longer property
i am free.
freedom is not free

Old 10-06-2009, 10:03 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
Life is what keeps you going.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:32 AM
mwv

207 posts, read 673,814 times
Funny.

I wonder more: "Married guys, what keeps you going?"

Seems most married guys I know are just overwhelmed with debts and responsibilities that all come from their marriage, and have little life apart from necessity.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
...For those guys who are pretty much relegated to being single forever,
I don't know if I'll be single forever - that's quite a long time.

Quote:
what keeps you going?
My mind, my body and my spirit - same as anyone else.

Quote:
What makes life interesting to you?
All the same things that have made it interesting my entire life.

Quote:
What do you do to keep from going nuts and climbing the walls?
I enjoy being nuts - I wouldn't try to prevent it. Climbing walls? No, I climb mountains. And play on the 'Net in places like this. And work. And think. And sing. And...

Quote:
Do you ever get over being lonely?
I'm not lonely. I'm alone. Big difference.

Quote:
Do you miss having a sexual relationship, or do you find ways to have a sex life somehow?
I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate both myself and several dozen sheep.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:41 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Sports bar, cocktail waitresses half my age with low self esteem, volunteer at food bank, go see a movie once a month and join forums to discuss, maybe someone lives near you.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:55 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
cocktail waitresses half my age with low self esteem
Huzzah!

Old 02-14-2017, 02:13 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times
What keeps me going? Ego, selfishness, imagination and the desire to achieve. There are many, many more important things in life than the ridiculous notion of 'love' that we're all force fed from the cradle. It holds no interest for me, I have no plans to seek it out and I pray to God it won't find me.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:39 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
What keeps me going? Ego, selfishness, imagination and the desire to achieve. There are many, many more important things in life than the ridiculous notion of 'love' that we're all force fed from the cradle. It holds no interest for me, I have no plans to seek it out and I pray to God it won't find me.

Then why are you reading about it?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology