U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM

372 posts, read 991,819 times

Advertisements

After college I moved to a new town to start a new job, and I've been here for about a year. I told myself that I would really focus on my career, and I did, and I've done really well. All of my friends are my coworkers.

I'm bored. Sometimes I get home from work and really start to question if this is the right life for me. I use to be a musician and a martial artist from my teenage years all through college. Then my dad died, and for some reason I started taking life and career really seriously. Perhaps my music and martial arts is the past, but sometimes I really just miss it. But then again, maybe it's silly for me to go back to those things. I'm not going to be a rock star nor, Bruce Lee, but in order to get good at anything, I would have to dedicate a lot of time to it.

Did the same thing happen to you after college? I feel like I'm stuck between the college years and married life.

Somebody halp!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 01:14 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
There is no reason for you to give up the things you enjoy. Many many people play in bands who have day-jobs, and many others are active in martial arts or other activities. In a way it's good that you did take life seriously and concentrate on your job, you did well for yourself and have shown your employer what your work ethic is. But it's good to have outlets besides work and you already have two interests that you can pursue.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:15 PM

917 posts, read 2,553,743 times
Well, I never gave up my creative pursuits, I just figured out how to make money from them and I took a part time day job because I didn't want to completely sell out.

I'm sure you're not the only person in an office job who plays music. Why not have some jam sessions with other musicians you know? You can also continue to pursue martial arts, maybe teach kids or something.

A normal job only has you working 40 hours a week. Why not use your nights and weekends to do something you love?

Old 01-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Ep-

2,069 posts, read 3,538,743 times
same thing happened to me at first. was really focused on work, career and keeping my knowledge up to date, learning new things (im in IT).

then i realized a job is just that, a job. theres more to life then work. take up your old hobbies again even if you arent going to be a rockstar. if jamming in a garage is fun its still fun, regardless if you make it big or not.

or just find some new hobbies to explore if old ones dont appeal anymore. dont feel too bad about it most people go through this. you got dumped into the real world and no one is gonna guide you through anything like when you were younger. just takes time to figure out!

Old 01-01-2010, 02:22 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,272,111 times
I think it happens to a lot of people.

It's called quarter-life crisis. I think when you're in the 20's stage, and after college, you're kind of thrust into the real world, have to get a job, have to get your own home, be more responsible, and not rely as much on your parents for stuff.

How I coped with this is seeing the good in it and being positive. OK, so I had to hold down a job, well it means I learnt to be more responsible. Being more independent meant that I am responsible for my own well-being/happiness in life, and that I should never be dependent on anybody for anything. Everybody is different, but this is what helped me at the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology