Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:12 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times

Advertisements

I just ran across this and thought it would be nice to share.

5 Things That Will Make You Happier - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100222/sc_livescience/5thingsthatwillmakeyouhappier - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 05:15 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times

Old 02-22-2010, 05:16 PM

11,865 posts, read 17,000,344 times
I think one of the most important keys to happiness is taking responsibility for your own actions. When you control your own fate, you'll find it's easier to do what will lead you down the right path.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:19 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I think one of the most important keys to happiness is taking responsibility for your own actions. When you control your own fate, you'll find it's easier to do what will lead you down the right path.
I agree wholeheartedly! I have also found that when I stopped trying to have too much control I was much happier...

Old 02-22-2010, 06:27 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Such BS...

1. Be grateful

Yahh, let's see...we are born and will suffer and die, as those are the only two guarantees to human life: suffering and dying. For everyone one person there is to feel grateful towards, there are ten who have used as and would not cross the street to urinate on us if we were on fire.

2. Be optimistic

Yahh, okay, be optimistic about the future. One might as well be on Acid, because it is an equally delusional state of being.

Ever hear of "Peak Oil"? It's happening sooner than we thought:
Peak oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or over population?

Overpopulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or the ever popular Global Warming? And please, don't feed me that "switch to hybrid vehicles" crap! The CO2 is already in the atmosphere and will be there for at least fifty years. It's too late, we are finished...as is most of the animal life on Earth:
Holocene extinction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plenty to be "optimistic" about.

3. Count your blessings

What, the lack of clean air, the total isolation people have in the modern age, the diseases, the crime, and that little painful condition we call "life" that is nothing but pain until we die? Yes, let me count how "blessed" all that is...

4. Use your strengths

Some of us don't have any. I guess that is another "blessing" to count I guess.

5. Commit acts of kindness

Okay, at least that makes sense. One out of five aint bad, I suppose. Life is pain and miserable, but it can't hurt to make it a little less miserable for someone. That usually does bring a smile to my face.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:32 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
It's a focus thing.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:41 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Such BS...

1. Be grateful

Yahh, let's see...we are born and will suffer and die, as those are the only two guarantees to human life: suffering and dying. For everyone one person there is to feel grateful towards, there are ten who have used as and would not cross the street to urinate on us if we were on fire.

2. Be optimistic

Yahh, okay, be optimistic about the future. One might as well be on Acid, because it is an equally delusional state of being.

Ever hear of "Peak Oil"? It's happening sooner than we thought:
Peak oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or over population?

Overpopulation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or the ever popular Global Warming? And please, don't feed me that "switch to hybrid vehicles" crap! The CO2 is already in the atmosphere and will be there for at least fifty years. It's too late, we are finished...as is most of the animal life on Earth:
Holocene extinction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plenty to be "optimistic" about.

3. Count your blessings

What, the lack of clean air, the total isolation people have in the modern age, the diseases, the crime, and that little painful condition we call "life" that is nothing but pain until we die? Yes, let me count how "blessed" all that is...

4. Use your strengths

Some of us don't have any. I guess that is another "blessing" to count I guess.
You need to read this and seek professional help for your negativity, anger and hostility:

Pessimism And Negativity | LIVESTRONG.COM (http://www.livestrong.com/article/14751-pessimism-and-negativity/ - broken link)

Old 02-22-2010, 06:42 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
You need to read this and seek professional help for your negativity, anger and hostility:

Pessimism And Negativity | LIVESTRONG.COM (http://www.livestrong.com/article/14751-pessimism-and-negativity/ - broken link)
He knows exactly what he's doing. He needs help for the fact that he actually enjoys doing this.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:45 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
He knows exactly what he's doing. He needs help for the fact that he actually enjoys doing this.
That's equally sick

Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post

I am not pessimist or negative: I am realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology