U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 AM

6,621 posts, read 11,188,102 times

Advertisements

Mine match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 AM

6,718 posts, read 11,187,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Are you basically the same person on or off the forum? Are you more shy in real-life...or more outgoing? Are you more open on the forum compared to how you are in your everyday life with friends? Just curious...Something to think about.
Most people tend to be "nicer" in real life than online.

I'm the opposite.

I tend to be a lot more abrasive in person while my online persona is more polite and thoughtful.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,556,134 times
I am pretty much like my closer friends would process me. The stuff I put on here would be somewhat surprising for people who might know me as an acquaintance. I think they might view as sarcastic and blunt, but not this blunt.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:34 PM

763 posts, read 1,072,592 times
I'm different in the two worlds. For one big reason: in the real world, I am legally Deaf and grew up unsocial because I lived around hearing people who's desire to communicate with me was limited. This lead to me becoming an anti-social introvert, who is quiet, rarely speaks unless spoken to, but is also really nice. It's easy for me to empathize to others that grow up feeling like outsiders and get treated like crap for it; this has lead me to be a much nicer person than most people I have ever met.

Online though, I get to type out all those quiet thoughts in my head. The internet world is a seriously life-saving haven for people like me (Deaf people, amongst others). This has lead to some obvious misconceptions about what people expected me to be like when they met me in reality.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:31 PM

6,770 posts, read 7,500,926 times
no , my internet personality is much more combatitive , assertive and articulate , i use forums as a way of holding on to the old me , the me that died many years ago

Old 05-18-2012, 01:47 PM

3,803 posts, read 4,809,064 times
nope am more upfront and blunt in real life---here i tend to hold back due to moderator phobia

Old 05-18-2012, 09:19 PM

3,338 posts, read 5,544,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I am the same type of person online when I'm using my profile. If someone hacks into my profile I could have some inconsistencies. The same could be said when someone hacks into my body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
How often does THAT happen???
Has technology advanced that far already!?

If you consider that the mind/body can be modified in some way, even loosely stretching the analogy...

Okay, we do have crude and limited forms of "hacking" someone's real life mind that people might call brain-washing, indoctrination, cults on the one hand, but also types of changing minds that can be beneficial, such as therapy on the other hand etc. though it has its effects more on some than others.

Also, behaviour-modifying drugs (!) in a real sense does do a number on one's mind/body that can be in a visceral sense, hacks (including medications used to treat problematic thoughts, feelings, behaviours etc.), to modify behaviours, be they temporary or permanent.

Some of those things could be useful and helpful, others dangerous or frightening. Admittedly, we are at a very crude level of doing this, but if the mind, with personalities, memories, thoughts, feelings, sensations, recollections, is brain activity and brain activity can be modified, so will those things, which is a scary thought (and would be territory that we would have to walk cautiously across in the future if we develop it).

Old 01-11-2015, 02:19 PM

3,012 posts, read 2,993,672 times
In the flesh...what you see is what you get;

Old 01-11-2015, 05:46 PM

6,317 posts, read 4,448,100 times
I'm at least 90% the same person.

The only dif here is that i get more empassioned about political issues and am sometimes more confrontational in my responses.

HOWEVER . . .IRL i NEVER hear such people say a lot of the idiotic things they say on boards or attack my character for having a different opinion! If i did, i would probably be more calm about it because people be cray-cray and i wouldn't want such people physically attacking me!

Old 01-11-2015, 09:53 PM

3,605 posts, read 4,868,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Are you basically the same person on or off the forum? Are you more shy in real-life...or more outgoing? Are you more open on the forum compared to how you are in your everyday life with friends? Just curious...Something to think about.
I'm more shy and less argumentative/confrontational in real life. But basically I'm the same person online and offline. I'm honest about my personality on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology