U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 09:51 PM

823 posts, read 529,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Why do you say that? I said he looked good. Have you been to Anchorage AK. People definitely dress casually there.
I concur. It was a feeble attempt at reverse-catcalling.

And donít all Alaskan men wear plaid?

(Cue the Brawny Towel Man entering to ďItís Raining MenĒ)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 09:52 AM

5,460 posts, read 802,663 times
I am the same person online as I am off EXCEPT that I am more blunt in my opinions about politics and social issues online.

When talking in person, I try to gauge how someone feels about a subject, and then modify (if necessary) my outspokenness accordingly, although I won't lie. For example, I have often said that I hate Trump as POTUS in my C-D posts, but if I am with a Trump supporter, I will just him or her speak and either not respond or say something as neutral as possible, such as "Well, I suppose that Trump does have some good qualities" -- although I am mentally adding, 'but I just can't think of any.'

P.S. Oh, one more thing -- I am much more verbose on City-Data than I am in real life, except with my husband and one of my sisters. It is very rare that I will say more than three sentences or so to strangers, unless they are customers. (I'm a part-time wine consultant.)

Last edited by katharsis; 12-25-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-25-2018, 10:26 AM

23 posts, read 2,249 times
Yah, Iím the same person online and in real life. I feel the things I say online will have the same impact on the person reading if I should say it face to face. So I just assume Iím saying it in real life and not say what I wouldnít if the person was standing in front of me.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:32 AM

7,419 posts, read 2,902,076 times
Very interesting question.

Online, I often come off as brusk and cold, and judgmental, which I never (ever) do in real life.

Makes me aware that voice inflection and facial expression are really important.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:02 AM

35,288 posts, read 43,514,238 times
I have written of very personal things, and shared negative feelings about friends and family members that I never would talk about in real life.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:25 AM

3,409 posts, read 1,725,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am the same person online as I am off EXCEPT that I am more blunt in my opinions about politics and social issues online.
Same. The number of people who get butthurt online about something I've said is phenomenal. People will call you rude when the issue is, they can't handle hearing my truth. I am very empathetic and sensitive to people but I will NOT censor myself so you can feel better about whatever lie you've leaned into. I am an introvert, so dialoguing with people online is sometimes easier because the communities are there. You have to work harder to find your tribe offline. I'm "me" no matter where I am. It's too much work to be someone else. I don't know how others do it.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:38 PM

1,130 posts, read 332,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Are you basically the same person on or off the forum? Are you more shy in real-life...or more outgoing? Are you more open on the forum compared to how you are in your everyday life with friends? Just curious...Something to think about.
Yes, I am the same person no matter where I am

Old 12-25-2018, 05:52 PM

1,741 posts, read 1,501,804 times
No, not really.

I'm a potted plant IRL.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:04 PM

4,204 posts, read 3,484,181 times
I feel as if it is pretty much who I am as a person in general and my forum personality is very close to my real life personality. I will add though that irl I "shoot from the hip" with family and friends because over the years they have come to know the "good, the bad and the ugly" of the jewel that is me. I am blessed they not only "get" me and my sense of humor but they tolerate and love me as well. My profile photo here definitely speaks to my sense of humor.

Whereas responding here in writing allows me to contemplate, however long it takes to "say" something and try to make it seem reasonable (from my point of view) without being hurtful or judgmental.

Recently there was an interesting post (in the U.S. forums) which is very close to my persona with strangers.

What state do your manners belong in? (30-question How Stuff Works quiz)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/53910379-post3.html

Old 12-26-2018, 12:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 7,394,814 times
What you see is what you get. Crazy about animals, very blunt, honest, and can ruffle feathers in real life as well. Sorry I'm no nonsense and a stark realist with a text book ESTP personality. The flip side of the negative is that I am really fun in real life as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology