U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:10 AM

3,685 posts, read 4,122,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Yes sometimes it may work in the opposite way... the more aggression and intimidating the better. You already know how they'll likely react so there's nothing to be frightened about.

The ones I'm leery about are silent, passive doormat types. You never know when they decided it's enough and by the time they snap you'll be taken by surprise. Look out for the silent waters. Those are the ones I would get scare the most.
OH, yeah!

YouTube - Thanks for the Candy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 07:11 AM

2,936 posts, read 5,044,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I guess it depends on who you ask. Or as you said, which side your on. Theres a guy at work the gets some kind of jolly out of provoking others at work. He and another guy were relentless at getting the boss all riled up.
They don't value their employment do they?

Old 04-15-2010, 07:13 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Thats what I ask. Hey I need my paycheck, I dont want the boss stroking out.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 25,869,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I worked for a tyrant that would just BLOW a gasket at the drop of a hat and yell and scream before asking questions. He was usually wrong too. A lot of people walked on pins and needles around him until it got to be such a joke to see who would set him off first. Like cats batting around a mouse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I guess it depends on who you ask. Or as you said, which side your on. Theres a guy at work the gets some kind of jolly out of provoking others at work. He and another guy were relentless at getting the boss all riled up.
Quote:
I'll tell you in my case. This guy would blow the roof off the building over every darn thing. I watched him just rant and rave and wave his arms and completely b*tch me out in front of other people. All the while I did not dare interrupt him, I had the info he declared he never saw in my hand. When he was done ranting I simply held the memo out (with his signature on it) and asked, "Do you remember getting this?" and do you know what he did -and in front of everyone- he took his hand and hit under the paper so the paper and his hand smacked me right in my face and almost broke my nose. This is how bad he was - to the point of physical violence.

So, I'd say, yeah, there are people who are more prone to be provoked just by their sheer nature and at some point it's a joke - how can you ever take a person like that seriously? Before staff meetings we'd exchange money making bets who'd get ripped a new one first.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:24 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
If some people are more prone to being provoked, knowing human nature as it is, would people take advantage of that person and spend time provoking them?
Yes, children learn this early on. If they have siblings, they learn it as babies and toddlers and it was entertaining then too.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I'll tell you in my case. This guy would blow the roof off the building over every darn thing. I watched him just rant and rave and wave his arms and completely b*tch me out in front of other people. All the while I did not dare interrupt him, I had the info he declared he never saw in my hand. When he was done ranting I simply held the memo out (with his signature on it) and asked, "Do you remember getting this?" and do you know what he did -and in front of everyone- he took his hand and hit under the paper so the paper and his hand smacked me right in my face and almost broke my nose. This is how bad he was - to the point of physical violence.

So, I'd say, yeah, there are people who are more prone to be provoked just by their sheer nature and at some point it's a joke - how can you ever take a person like that seriously? Before staff meetings we'd exchange money making bets who'd get ripped a new one first.
It's at the point that I deliver a reflex reaction and really do break his nose and leave a few tattoos on his face, next time he'll think better of trying crap like that.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:29 AM

25,947 posts, read 25,869,596 times
Quote:
It's at the point that I deliver a reflex reaction and really do break his nose and leave a few tattoos on his face, next time he'll think better of trying crap like that.
No retalitory physical violence was necessary. I just got him canned and a nice settlement to boot. Cooler heads prevail sometimes.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:32 AM

15,709 posts, read 22,756,161 times
Originally Posted by samston
I sometimes stop in people's paths in public, just to spite them or enjoy seeing them get angry.

...your the same guy who posted ppl give you snarely looks...now it makes sense.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,272,111 times
Quote:
Yes - because people are malcious, not because it's fun. I wonder just how much fun it would be if the tables were turned on the aggressors?
i don't think it's malicious, i think it's just how human beings are.

Sometimes, one just has to not let things rub them up, and pick one's battles.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Originally Posted by samston
I sometimes stop in people's paths in public, just to spite them or enjoy seeing them get angry.

...your the same guy who posted ppl give you snarely looks...now it makes sense.
+1 for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or