U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 02:27 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,397,088 times

Advertisements

samston wrote:
Quote:
life is not black and white.

most people follow social norms, in most kind of environments.
Oh, ok, so I guess you're admitting that when you said everybody follows social norms that it wasn't accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 05:46 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,273,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
samston wrote:

Oh, ok, so I guess you're admitting that when you said everybody follows social norms that it wasn't accurate.
dude, not everything is logical.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:13 PM

15,710 posts, read 22,761,533 times
What point are you trying to make, you posted you purposely try to anger ppl when you walk in their path....then post like a victim. 30s to old for that nonsense.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:16 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,273,105 times
well, i was just conveying something i was thinking during the day, that how we react to things is key, since we cannot control others' actions.

i guess it seemed silly to post, but no more than many other threads here. i'm done here in this thread, i'm not in the mood for confrontation this evening.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:18 PM

5,879 posts, read 7,688,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I worked for a tyrant that would just BLOW a gasket at the drop of a hat and yell and scream before asking questions. He was usually wrong too. A lot of people walked on pins and needles around him until it got to be such a joke to see who would set him off first. Like cats batting around a mouse.
I can relate!

Old 04-15-2010, 06:29 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,306,817 times
Why not just be nice and polite to everyone? Why wait around to see what the silent passive aggressive person does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Yes sometimes it may work in the opposite way... the more aggression and intimidating the better. You already know how they'll likely react so there's nothing to be frightened about.

The ones I'm leery about are silent, passive doormat types. You never know when they decided it's enough and by the time they snap you'll be taken by surprise. Look out for the silent waters. Those are the ones I would get scare the most.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:30 PM

15,710 posts, read 22,761,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
well, i was just conveying something i was thinking during the day, that how we react to things is key, since we cannot control others' actions.

i guess it seemed silly to post, but no more than many other threads here. i'm done here in this thread, i'm not in the mood for confrontation this evening.
Blocking someone walking is not mature, I can understand why you wouldn't want to comment.... there's no excuse.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:32 PM

I agree. And a lot of people don't really go "psycho" these days. They just go online and expose people's names and places of work on all those freedom of speech websites. Just look at all these complaints: http://www.employeejusticereport.com/

If someone is provoking you without mercy or compassion. And they don't respond to your body language or hurt feelings. Then use that website or blog about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
I have always wondered something.
What is the issue with people who actually want to 'test' easily provoked people?

Getting off on someone else emotional reactions seems a bit, wasteful in itself.
And yet those provokers seem to be the main ones falling back on the rationalization of 'its how one reacts that is more important".

Sometimes I hope one of those provokers meets someone who, even though they react in the expected manner, their actual revenge is more cold an insidious.

This is not to say the provoked should not try a little more self control.
Still , pruposely screwing with people should be curtailed as well.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:34 PM

If the bully wants to get the victim in trouble. The bully will taunt and give the silent treatment and use other forms of manipulation until the victim acts out in revenge. That can result in the victim getting suspended from school or placed in jail for harassment etc.

Bottom line - do not provoke people. Be nice and compassionate to everyone. Even those that appear off-beat or odd.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 PM

25,084 posts, read 13,912,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
If some people are more prone to being provoked, knowing human nature as it is, would people take advantage of that person and spend time provoking them?
Yeah these people usually have anger issues and if they r not a threat then there r other people who enjoy pushing another's buttons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or