Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:06 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,003,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
i don't think it's malicious, i think it's just how human beings are.

Sometimes, one just has to not let things rub them up, and pick one's battles.
Really, so if i stick my foot out as you're walking down the street to trip you, I would find that hilarious, you on the other hand would not let things rub them up, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 08:07 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,981,646 times
I have always wondered something.
What is the issue with people who actually want to 'test' easily provoked people?

Getting off on someone else emotional reactions seems a bit, wasteful in itself.
And yet those provokers seem to be the main ones falling back on the rationalization of 'its how one reacts that is more important".

Sometimes I hope one of those provokers meets someone who, even though they react in the expected manner, their actual revenge is more cold an insidious.

This is not to say the provoked should not try a little more self control.
Still , pruposely screwing with people should be curtailed as well.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:11 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,730,513 times
Quote:
i don't think it's malicious, i think it's just how human beings are.

Sometimes, one just has to not let things rub them up, and pick one's battles.
Not only is it malicious, it is immature and disrespectful.

But we all know you feel you don't have to respect social norms

Old 04-15-2010, 08:14 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,379,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Really, so if i stick my foot out as you're walking down the street to trip you, I would find that hilarious, you on the other hand would not let things rub them up, right?
this would be assault, and i would respond in kind.

But provocation is not just physical. It could be gentle ribbing, or more aggressive taunts.

the point is that if one always responds angrily to ribbing and taunts, people will take advantage, since they know what pushes one's buttons.

It's never good to be predictable in life. It can work to one's disadvantage.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
this would be assault, and i would respond in kind.

But provocation is not just physical. It could be gentle ribbing, or more aggressive taunts.

the point is that if one always responds angrily to ribbing and taunts, people will take advantage, since they know what pushes one's buttons.

It's never good to be predictable in life. It can work to one's disadvantage.
Now I know, I've pushed your buttons. That is not assault, if you are too blind to watch where you are walking.

Perhaps the individual does not always respond angrily, but it's an off day for them and their response being unpredictable as you say exacts a far greater response than you might expect - then what? Let me guess - that's an assault, right?

A piece of street advice pal - if you provoke someone, you deserve what you get.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichirenx View Post
I have always wondered something.
What is the issue with people who actually want to 'test' easily provoked people?

Getting off on someone else emotional reactions seems a bit, wasteful in itself.
And yet those provokers seem to be the main ones falling back on the rationalization of 'its how one reacts that is more important".

Sometimes I hope one of those provokers meets someone who, even though they react in the expected manner, their actual revenge is more cold an insidious.

This is not to say the provoked should not try a little more self control.
Still , pruposely screwing with people should be curtailed as well.
isn't the emboldened part a healthy way of dealing with life situations?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Now I know, I've pushed your buttons. That is not assault, if you are too blind to watch where you are walking.

Perhaps the individual does not always respond angrily, but it's an off day for them and their response being unpredictable as you say exacts a far greater response than you might expect - then what? Let me guess - that's an assault, right?

A piece of street advice pal - if you provoke someone, you deserve what you get.
If person A purposely seeks to trip up person B, and person B responds with equal physical force, then person A in my mind deserves what he gets. if it was an accident, or there was no intent, it wouldn't stand up in court, should it go there. at the most there would be a very light sentence imposed.

i think the point still stands, that there are healthy means of dealing with situations.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:39 AM

29,732 posts, read 34,334,456 times
Sam, the more you post on these kinds of topics, the more you sound like a sociopath.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:41 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,238,431 times
Quote:
If some people are more prone to being provoked, knowing human nature as it is, would people take advantage of that person and spend time provoking them?
Some would, I've seen it happen on forums...why not in real life?

Some people can be very cruel and thoughtless...and actually feed off of hurting others, or trying to make them look very small, it makes them feel very big, yanno?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Sam, the more you post on these kinds of topics, the more you sound like a sociopath.
+1 for you. Sam has no life, so he comes on forums to "push buttons".
It would be interesting to see him in action on the street and to see the "healthy reactions" he receives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology