U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 02:05 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,488,660 times

Advertisements

Where do you get this idea that there aren't any shallow women in Asia? There are just as many materialistic bobble-headed women in Asia as there are in the U.S. Have you ever traveled to these countries or lived in one for any length of time? Japan is one of the most racist and materialistic countries around. Don't assume that the majority of women who come from a given region are going to be any better or worse in terms of finding a life long partner. You can find everything you're looking for right here in the states. You aren't attracted to white women--no worries, there are plenty of Asian, Hispanic, Black, Indian, Arabic women to go around in the lower 48--our newest Ms. USA is Arabic and quite beautiful...give her a call. Wait scratch that, she might be considered too shallow for your tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,834,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
This applies to dating, even lifestyles.

Now, say a person values tradition, spirituality, and non-shallowness. Now, would they be happy in a Western country, which is generally non-traditional, non-spiritual and shallow? If they wanted an SO with these traits wouldn't a better bet for them be Japan, Korea or other East Asian country?

Do you think the society you live in suits your personality, or how you think and perceive the world? Would you move if you had the chance?

I think sometimes of leaving Western society to get a date, because I don't find white women attractive (and please, no flames, it's just a preference like any other and not meant offensively). but to me it's a double edged sword. I like our societies, since at least people are free for the most part to live as they choose, and we are by and large more tolerant and accepting. I don't like tradition or spirituality as ideals, tradition to me is odd.
Another clueless post with a gigantic generalization - nay, two. Western society/country, eastern society/countries.

Do you think that all the social mores you're accustomed to as an American will apply in Spain? In Portugal? In Italy? In Belgium? In Germany? In the Netherlands? Surely you know that there are variations within Europe. The Dutch are notorious for their bluntness. So if you date a Dutch woman and she says (I assume you are a man), "Samston, you're fat now. You put on 20 lbs in 2 months. You look pasty and repulsive. Go hit the gym and stop eating like a pig." Is that shallow? Or is it just honest?

It is not against you Samston but it just IRKS me that people on this forum make such sweeping blanket statements about entire societies, cultures, continents all the while having little or not familiarity or exposure to these cultures.

I'm going to ask you who are US-born people - not immigrants, but born here. I'm assuming your parents, grandparents, etc were all born here.

How many of you speak a language with complete fluency other than English? If so, which languages?

How many of you have actually lived in a foreign country? I don't mean visiting; I mean a semester or a year or more via school or work.

How many of you can honestly say you're truly well-versed with a foreign culture? I know Redisca is a Russian Jewess; I know Miu is of Chinese heritage; I know Max's Mama is a Jewish-American person of Ukrainian origins. But besides individuals like these, how many of you actually have a damn clue?

How many of you have dated, or closely befriended, a foreigner here in the United States? Did you make an effort to learn his/her language? The ancestral culture and history? Please don't say you tried sushi once if you once dated a Japanese expatriate or that you had authentic curry if you dated an Indian. How many here have TRULY IMMERSED YOURSELVES IN A FOREIGN CULTURE?

I bet very few of you. These ignorant threads are enough proof.

Now, back to the OP.

The assumption Samston makes is that non-shallowness is found in Asia. Perhaps you should take into account that Japan and Korea both have very high suicide rates and many of these are youngsters who leave behind suicide notes decrying the shallow and meaningless existence of modernity. Or, you should be aware that in both of those countries, plastic surgery is common and rampant (so much for non-shallow). And, that in both Japan and Korea, middle-class and upper-middle-class high school and college women willingly prostitute themselves to make money to purchase designer bags, shoes, etc. Wait a minute - Asians aren't shallow! .... or are they?

Compare that to "smalltown America;" look at smaller cities in the US midwest. No traditions there? No family values? Everybody is a whoremongering, two-timing hedonistic player who cares not about building a family and whose only concern is to indulge in the pleasures of the flesh with no thought for tomorrow?

You are right, Samston, in that western societies in general do allow individual freedom. You want to see what it's like not to have that? Spend a year in Korea or in India or in the Arab world, preferably a place like Damascus. You'll see traditional societies functioning; yes, with veneers of modernity and much technology. But without the fierce American individualism I doubt you'd would easily surrender.

Another blunt comment: the abundance of such posts/threads here makes me, a foreign-born individual, LAUGH at certain people here, and it is a perfect reflection of the gross ignorance of the world at large that characterizes a lot of Americans.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM

3,486 posts, read 4,938,535 times
Quote:
In the West, we don't care much about tradition, we are less spiritual than other parts of the world, and we don't value depth as highly as other parts of the world do.
In the West, we have a tradition of individualism, secularism and self-determination. Now, do you see why it's important to define what you mean by "tradition"? "Tradition" doesn't just mean you bow to your social superiors.

Quote:
Take religion, religious attendance, and even belief is lower than most other parts of the world.
You equate religious attendance with spirituality?

Quote:
As for tradition, our society today is drastically different from what it was 100, even 50 years ago. Most other parts of the world have cultures virtually the same for hundreds, even thousands of years. Take my example of Japan. Despite the younger generation living Western lifestyles, most there still value the traditional Eastern beliefs. I'd think Kawaii is something that is recent in Japanese history. I doubt the samurais did that.
I'm sorry, but it seems to me you are exoticizing the Japanese, and indeed, all those cultures that you believe haven't changed for hundreds of years. Japan changed drastically since the middle of the 19th century -- mostly because the Japanese were sick and tired of the cultural and political stagnation that the era of isolation had produced. Those "Eastern beliefs" that you seem to romanticize about, become progressively less cute as you study them more and more in-depth. But I think mostly, this idea that all Japanese women are little geishas and the men are living their samurai code is ludicrous -- and if nothing else, offensive to the Japanese. Speaking of the samurai, Bushido is mostly a 20th century invention, and has mislead countless Westerners about what the real samurai were like. See 6 Supposedly Ancient Traditions that Totally Aren't.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM

7,376 posts, read 12,524,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I would be happier if they would incorporate a town of big fat butt women.
rofl, id live there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
this idea that all Japanese women are little geishas and the men are living their samurai code is ludicrous
This is a reason white men tend to see Asian women as exotic little playthings with whom they fantasize of doing sexual deeds that the average white American woman would castrate a man for.

4,379 posts, read 4,272,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Where do you get this idea that there aren't any shallow women in Asia? There are just as many materialistic bobble-headed women in Asia as there are in the U.S. Have you ever traveled to these countries or lived in one for any length of time? Japan is one of the most racist and materialistic countries around. Don't assume that the majority of women who come from a given region are going to be any better or worse in terms of finding a life long partner. You can find everything you're looking for right here in the states. You aren't attracted to white women--no worries, there are plenty of Asian, Hispanic, Black, Indian, Arabic women to go around in the lower 48--our newest Ms. USA is Arabic and quite beautiful...give her a call. Wait scratch that, she might be considered too shallow for your tastes.
I couldn't care less if people are shallow. The world is full of all kinds of people and everybody is different.

Quote:
Jaysus, ANOTHER thread about how non-American women are sooooo much more physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally superior to American women?

Come on, already. If you don't like the women here, MOVE.
lmao. No. That was not my point.

My point was actually based on a random thought I had during the day. Since our society is embracing PC attitudes more, is a person who is naturally more conservative and non-tolerant going to be happy living in the USA again?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
My point was actually based on a random thought I had during the day. Since our society is embracing PC attitudes more, is a person who is naturally more conservative and non-tolerant going to be happy living in the USA again?
Them Bible belters seem quite happy the way they are.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 PM

3,486 posts, read 4,938,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
This is a reason white men tend to see Asian women as exotic little playthings with whom they fantasize of doing sexual deeds that the average white American woman would castrate a man for.
Nyotaimori?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,488,660 times
Quote:
I couldn't care less if people are shallow. The world is full of all kinds of people and everybody is different.

lmao. No. That was not my point.

Your original post states "say a person values non-shallowness"...so whoever this person is, they would indeed care if people are shallow.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Nyotaimori?
oh gosh Redisca, I'm disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or