Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times

Advertisements

This applies to dating, even lifestyles.

Now, say a person values tradition, spirituality, and non-shallowness. Now, would they be happy in a Western country, which is generally non-traditional, non-spiritual and shallow? If they wanted an SO with these traits wouldn't a better bet for them be Japan, Korea or other East Asian country?

Do you think the society you live in suits your personality, or how you think and perceive the world? Would you move if you had the chance?

I think sometimes of leaving Western society to get a date, because I don't find white women attractive (and please, no flames, it's just a preference like any other and not meant offensively). but to me it's a double edged sword. I like our societies, since at least people are free for the most part to live as they choose, and we are by and large more tolerant and accepting. I don't like tradition or spirituality as ideals, tradition to me is odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 01:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,328,631 times
I would be happier if they would incorporate a town of big fat butt women.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:52 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times
I think the grass tends to be greener on the other side.

I think that the Japanese kawaii culture is the epitome of shallow. I don't care for traditions in which 30-year-old women squeal like adolescent girls and carry Mickey Mouse backpacks -- and I don't find such traditions particularly spiritual. Certain Westerners tend to see Southeast Asian cultures through a veneer of pop-spirituality, but it's just that -- a veneer. If you really learn about a culture, any culture, you will see that it has both good and bad aspects, and different social circles as well.

I also think you are way off base when you claim that the West is "non-traditional, non-spiritual and shallow". In my experience, this is very far from the truth. Most importantly, however, you have to begin by defining these terms for yourself. What kinds of traditions do you like? What does spirituality mean to you? And what does it mean to be "deep" as opposed to "shallow"?

Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Jaysus, ANOTHER thread about how non-American women are sooooo much more physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally superior to American women?

Come on, already. If you don't like the women here, MOVE.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Jaysus, ANOTHER thread about how non-American women are sooooo much more physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally superior to American women?

Come on, already. If you don't like the women here, MOVE.
Must we like the women here? Don't we have options?

Old 05-17-2010, 02:00 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Must we like the women here? Don't we have options?
No, you don't have to like anyone.

But if don't like the women here, then unless you want to take a chance on a mail order bride, your only option is to leave. Sorry, we're not changing for you. The world is a big place. Go explore.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:02 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,381,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
I think the grass tends to be greener on the other side.

I think that the Japanese kawaii culture is the epitome of shallow. I don't care for traditions in which 30-year-old women squeal like adolescent girls and carry Mickey Mouse backpacks -- and I don't find such traditions particularly spiritual. Certain Westerners tend to see Southeast Asian cultures through a veneer of pop-spirituality, but it's just that -- a veneer. If you really learn about a culture, any culture, you will see that it has both good and bad aspects, and different social circles as well.

I also think you are way off base when you claim that the West is "non-traditional, non-spiritual and shallow". In my experience, this is very far from the truth. Most importantly, however, you have to begin by defining these terms for yourself. What kinds of traditions do you like? What does spirituality mean to you? And what does it mean to be "deep" as opposed to "shallow"?
In the West, we don't care much about tradition, we are less spiritual than other parts of the world, and we don't value depth as highly as other parts of the world do.

Take religion, religious attendance, and even belief is lower than most other parts of the world. As for tradition, our society today is drastically different from what it was 100, even 50 years ago. Most other parts of the world have cultures virtually the same for hundreds, even thousands of years. Take my example of Japan. Despite the younger generation living Western lifestyles, most there still value the traditional Eastern beliefs. I'd think Kawaii is something that is recent in Japanese history. I doubt the samurais did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
No, you don't have to like anyone.

But if don't like the women here, then your option is to leave. Sorry, we're not changing for you. The world is a big place. Go explore.
Ok, bye!

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
If the environment is making someone unhappy then, yes, a change would be the logical move.

I believe you can find traditional/spiritual/old fashioned/etc. without leaving the country. And we pretty much define what all this means for ourselves.

1,203 posts, read 1,982,124 times
Eh.
There is no where on earth I would really like to be.
And since the USA is not yet fully totalitarian or a open police state it suits me just fine for now.

One of those societies the OP refers to would probably incarcerate me, execute me, or ban me from entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology