U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 PM

2,936 posts, read 5,054,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The term "Snob" is kind of like the word "Promiscuous," in that it's almost always subjective and based on the attitude and perception of its speaker. Just as the word "Promiscuous" basically means "anybody who has slept with few more people than me," so "Snob" means, "Somebody who isn't impressed by me."

But let me tackle the definition, which is simply referring to those who think their tastes are superior to others.

Now, our friends are pretty much from all walks of life. We don't read the society pages to determine who's out and who's in. We enjoy classical music and we enjoy a good street festival. We've been two steps from the poorhouse and we've been well-off.

At the same time, we're pretty selective about our friends. They certainly don't have to be rich. They don't have to have a string of degrees as long as their arms. They don't have to dress in the latest fashions or drive a Lexus. At the same time, we like our friends to be interesting and possessed of some basic social skills and consideration for others. Not a lot to ask in my book.

Now, professionally, I have some pretty exacting standards. Given the fact that I am entrusted with a great deal of money by people who expect results, a person needs to look sharp, speak and write proper English, work hard, and carry himself or herself in a professional manner at all times on the job. And if that's snobbery, then so be it.

Nothing wrong with being intellectual and normal. As for the last item - I believe that is called having "edict". Unfortunately, a large swath of the population does not behave in such a manner because of the lessons they've received from MTV, MTV2, VH1, Brittney, Miley, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 12:16 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,272,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Nothing wrong with being intellectual and normal. As for the last item - I believe that is called having "edict". Unfortunately, a large swath of the population does not behave in such a manner because of the lessons they've received from MTV, MTV2, VH1, Brittney, Miley, etc.
Yes. But to many, our tastes would be what is considered to be snobbery, not our attitude towards others.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 PM

2,936 posts, read 5,054,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes. But to many, our tastes would be what is considered to be snobbery, not our attitude towards others.
We would get along, I like classical as well (wife tolerates it), enjoy a glass of wine from time to time, but can drink beer, eat a hot dog and appreciate an ice cream cone just like anyone else. I know - I've been exposed to folks like that who think just because my interests vary, I'm a snob.

Also work in a professional enviornment, where proper dress, English diction and writing is demanded. No, it's not okay to show off your tattoo. Those who don't like it can go down to the Sanitation department - oh, I forgot, there is a hiring freeze.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,282,070 times
wow, so many judgmental people in this thread lol

I have both intellectual and smart interests, but i don't care, it's just how I am.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:43 PM

8,234 posts, read 12,841,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
wow, so many judgmental people in this thread lol

I have both intellectual and smart interests, but i don't care, it's just how I am.
That doesn't make you a snob. Thinking you are better than people who are less fortunate to have a good education or be as intelligent, however, would. I think I have intellectual interests too but I do NOT believe that makes me better than anyone else.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:00 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,772,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh I meet lots of snobs every day. My store is in a section known as the Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive of Houston. Their noses don't know where the ground is. They are real tough customers too. Not even I can make them smile. If I managed then their face would break.
Get it exactly! My ex's store was in the Galleria area and occasionally I'd close my store early to tend to his meager flowerbed in front. I'd always dress sloppy and comfortable for this cuz it's HOT! Most of his reallllly influential customers didn't even know me unless i was dressed to the nines and indoors. So, many times the supposed "richest" ones would pass me while I was digging and I'd say hello. They would ALL look at me with pity and turn up their noses and then ignore my existence. I'd always get the giggles cuz what they were going inside to buy on their hubby's credit card, was just part of the 7 figure inventory I owned outright!

Yes snobby is thinking you are better when you have no idea about what you are judging. (and boy I have plenty of funny stories just like that)

Old 06-03-2010, 02:00 PM

8,234 posts, read 12,841,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
Get it exactly! My ex's store was in the Galleria area and occasionally I'd close my store early to tend to his meager flowerbed in front. I'd always dress sloppy and comfortable for this cuz it's HOT! Most of his reallllly influential customers didn't even know me unless i was dressed to the nines and indoors. So, many times the supposed "richest" ones would pass me while I was digging and I'd say hello. They would ALL look at me with pity and turn up their noses and then ignore my existence. I'd always get the giggles cuz what they were going inside to buy on their hubby's credit card, was just part of the 7 figure inventory I owned outright!

Yes snobby is thinking you are better when you have no idea about what you are judging. (and boy I have plenty of funny stories just like that)
I think even had you genuinely just been a gardener with not much money, it doesn't give them the right to turn their noses up at you.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Exactly. Now I paint houses, but in a "less snobby area" and noone turns up their noses at me. after all, we're all just people!

Old 06-03-2010, 02:17 PM

3,384 posts, read 3,985,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post

When the water heater went in my condo, the plumber came over and I was talking to him. He said you wouldn't believe the number of people who said to him "are you just a plumber?" Here he was, this young guy, in shape, that most women would have jumped at, making money hand over fist and loving his job for that matter and people were casting an ill light on him due to his profession. He laughed it off pretty well though.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:29 PM

Wowza, up here the best looking guys are garbage collectors! Not that I'd throw back a plumber! I'm just partial to GOOD people no matter what. Must be from growing up poor, then living with the so called rich and realizing most weren't really nice at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or