Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:40 PM

473 posts, read 1,167,995 times

Advertisements

I wanted to start a seperate thread or maybe the op could change the title of this one to: So you're still thinking about using that cheap charter airline Direct Air huh? Think again!

Seems my prior gripes about Direct Air are ringing true. Buyer beware. This time it's even worse than a scenario I laid out earlier in this thread where you are stuck if their equipment fails. Now they make you pass out twice just to be sure the planes are broken! They should not be flying. I said period!

Passengers On "Nightmare" Flight Speak Out | wgrz.com

The planes are junk. The companies involved in the whole venture are junk.

Air Pressure Problems Delay Direct Air Flight | TheLedger.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 05:49 AM

531 posts, read 1,161,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
I wanted to start a seperate thread or maybe the op could change the title of this one to: So you're still thinking about using that cheap charter airline Direct Air huh? Think again!

Seems my prior gripes about Direct Air are ringing true. Buyer beware. This time it's even worse than a scenario I laid out earlier in this thread where you are stuck if their equipment fails. Now they make you pass out twice just to be sure the planes are broken! They should not be flying. I said period!

Passengers On "Nightmare" Flight Speak Out | wgrz.com

The planes are junk. The companies involved in the whole venture are junk.

Air Pressure Problems Delay Direct Air Flight | TheLedger.com
YIKES.....scary stuff! Flying sure isn't what it used to be, and they all seem to have problems, (sighing) but we'll stick to JetBlue.....non-stop flights, and gets us there (Ft. Myers) quickly! We have to drive to an airport up here in NY that is about 45 minutes away, and then 45 more minutes to get to PC, but that's fine for us.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:55 AM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Of the 20 or so times we've flown Direct Air out of PG to Michigan, we've only had one delay (not bad statistics by todays standards). What people need to realize before they purchase is that this is a small, discounted airline that lease the jets from other carriers. They don't have thousands of other planes available if there is a mechanical issue. The only delay we had was about 5 hours in which we just left the airport and came back later. The mechanics fixed the problem and away we went. Plus they gave everyone a free flight voucher to use in the next 12 months.
In the past, I also had some gripes about this company, mainly on the customer service end, but it seems like they have been getting better over time. I've flown them 4 times this year alone and they have been on time every time. 2.5 hrs non-stop to my desitination in MI, for $160 RT, no complaints here! It's not for everyone. But it works GREAT for us!!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:54 AM

425 posts, read 1,105,048 times
Default Sorry BeerMe

So sorry that you have had such a rotten experience with Direct Air
we still use them because of the convience and closness to where we are...
now if you went to a large airport, I flew out the 23rd of December last yr, and alot of kids on the flight
you wouldnt see santa claus come through the airport handing out candy canes to the kids, it was just adorable..
yes we have been delayed, but because of weather, yes we have been delayed coming home because of mechanical issues...
but all in all we are satisfied with the flight and get what we pay for

Old 10-26-2011, 01:12 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,888,406 times
We've flown Direct Air once. We were amazed there wasn't a riot in the airport in Punta Gorda when people found out that even though they had paid extra for premium seats, they were going to ignore all seat assignments. We did manage to get two seats together when we eventually got on the plane, but we hadn't paid the extra $$, but other people who had were pretty irate.
The other problem I had with Direct Air was my fault, but it still pi**ed me off. I had bought vouchers in October good for one year when they ran a promotion, and then when I wanted to use them the next summer, I found out they only fly from Rockford, IL to PG between the months of November and April. So mine were going to expire before I had a chance to use them. I think that should have been pointed out

Old 10-26-2011, 02:33 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
We've flown Direct Air once. We were amazed there wasn't a riot in the airport in Punta Gorda when people found out that even though they had paid extra for premium seats, they were going to ignore all seat assignments. We did manage to get two seats together when we eventually got on the plane, but we hadn't paid the extra $$, but other people who had were pretty irate.
The other problem I had with Direct Air was my fault, but it still pi**ed me off. I had bought vouchers in October good for one year when they ran a promotion, and then when I wanted to use them the next summer, I found out they only fly from Rockford, IL to PG between the months of November and April. So mine were going to expire before I had a chance to use them. I think that should have been pointed out

I am more concerned with their "mechanical problems", any seat on a safe plane is fine with me.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:59 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I am more concerned with their "mechanical problems", any seat on a safe plane is fine with me.
I think they have less problems than bigger airlines. Just my experience. EVERY airline experiences mechanical delays. They are 100% completely unavoidable. I would rather have the delay and the problem fixed rather than being rushed into the sky and have a disaster happen.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:56 PM

60 posts, read 138,897 times
I will be flying in this weekend and need a ride to North Port anyone going that way looking to car pool? We should start a thread for car pooling 8-) I will be heading back to the airport the following weekend and will be leaving my car there for my sister arriving on Saturday if anyone wants to car pool 8-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte