Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 AM

60 posts, read 141,992 times

Advertisements

I hear you Jolly Ogre. Today is ice out on our local lake, the earliest EVER so boating season is coming up. That's our money earning season. The hubby is retired now so he only works 6 days a week (in season). Come next January we're taking the motorhome to SWF to where he can go fishing for 6 days if he wants to. I am assuming you will have ice out then??? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 06:52 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,141 times
Kate I used to have a canvas shop in new Hampshire I worked 7 days a week I season tomake it all.
b4 I moved here I vacationed in my motorhome in January I was out in my boat fishing near Tampa bay I felt guilty not working in the sunshine It just didn't feel normal. Thats when I decided to move and have my weekends

Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 PM

60 posts, read 141,992 times
Mike, glad you're obviously happy with the move. We may end up doing something similar. We decided to get a motorhome and head to Ft.Myers PG area in Jan. 2013. No one believed we would, but we have now acquired said motorhome, made our reservations, and will be scouting the area while vacationing for 3 months next year. No big rush, a few years of the motorhome would be fine. For me the best of all words would be to split the year between Florida's SW coast and where we live in the Lakes Region, up against the White Mountains. For the first time in maybe forever, I'm excited about next winter. Now that's really strange. We've spent some time around Tampa. Didn't like it, but have friends in Bonita and relatives on Sanibel plus SWF just sounds better. Show me those mango trees.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:08 PM

14 posts, read 30,117 times
Went out yesterday. I saw some bait pods- mix of greenbacks and threadfins at the south end of the harbor. I know there has been alot of bait up on the grass flats, but this is the first time this year I have seen the pods of threadfins and green backs in the harbor. I caught this on the outside of one of those bait pods. My biggest shark so far this year- it fought real good- took me atleast 10mins to see what the heck it was. It's a nice blacktip. I did let it go- too big for me to mess with alone in the boat. I wouldn't have kept it anyway. My son went out today and he saw some free jumping tarpon in the harbor, but he didn't see any bait pods today. Kinda weird.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-dscf0130-.jpg   Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-dscf0131.jpg  

Last edited by HookedUP; 03-27-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 04:34 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,780 times
Back in Germany for a couple of months. Failed in my search for a boat, but maybe I can get a better deal in June. Final tally off the dock, 1 redfish, 1 ladyfish, 1 stingray, 2 catfish, 25 mangrove snapper; gas bill - 0. Not bad for fishing with one hand and flipping burgers with the other.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:23 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
I installed my new SS pump, which is able to handle most any kind of water including salt water and brackish water - runs perfectly, and already has its first bait fish ))pinfish*> in it. Hope my pin fish looks like a pin fish. LOL Gonna stock up so I can go out and catch another big one!!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Did some shark fishing in the upper harbor today. Bait fish were schooling up everywhere! We had bait already though and managed a few bonnethead's, kept one for dinner....pretty good eating but we didn't bleed or ice it well enough. I was surprised at the nice sized white fillets that came off it.

Saw some Tarpon free jumping in the distance, seems like they are about ready to target. Rays are everywhere.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:30 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,086,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Did some shark fishing in the upper harbor today. Bait fish were schooling up everywhere! We had bait already though and managed a few bonnethead's, kept one for dinner....pretty good eating but we didn't bleed or ice it well enough. I was surprised at the nice sized white fillets that came off it.

Saw some Tarpon free jumping in the distance, seems like they are about ready to target. Rays are everywhere.
Slowly but surely - fishing off my dock, I'm catching bait fish for the live well. Now, I can keep live shrimp in a bucket in it as well (separate from the bait fish). Once I load it up, I'm going out again, maybe this weekend, or early next week.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:41 AM

463 posts, read 866,781 times
Hammerheads are starting to make their way into the harbor.Took my nephew and his son and daughter out on thursday.First we stopped and caught some pins for bait. We set a chum slick by devil fish key and in no time we were into sharks.Had some great hits and caught about 10 like this one and missed some big boys. I love it when whatever is on pops 150lbs test and a cable leader like it was 6lbs test line. Once again a rough ride back to the landing. My great niece was feeling a bit queezy from the rockin and rollin so I put her on the helm comming back from pirate harbor area to Lashley. I showed her the bread crumb trail on the GPS, Explained how to navigate by holding a 060 compass heading and gave her a towel to wipe her face when the waves soaked her.She loved it.
Attached Thumbnails
Fishing Charlotte Harbor Area-joe-bob-hammerhead.jpg  

Old 04-07-2012, 05:06 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times
Nice post, Pat. It's been a month since I've been out. Hopefully make some good progress on my irrigation install this weekend and get back out on the water in a few more weeks. Since I can only do it on weekends, I'm only about 30% done. I guess you all have had some good rain and wind while I've been working in VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte