Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 07:06 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,417 times

Advertisements

Merry Christmas to all you fellow Charlotte Harbor fishing, City-Data posting, warm weather loving, Yuengling drinking, opinion having, service pro looking, real estate buying/selling, snow bird visiting, restaurant seeking, online being friends of mine!

I hope you all get what you wish for, come Christmas morning! And to all...a good night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:30 AM

700 posts, read 1,818,969 times
Right back you MA! And a big thank you for helping one in need the other day! greatly appreciated!
Hope 2014 is good to all!!

Old 12-25-2013, 04:00 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,963,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Merry Christmas to all you fellow Charlotte Harbor fishing, City-Data posting, warm weather loving, Yuengling drinking, opinion having, service pro looking, real estate buying/selling, snow bird visiting, restaurant seeking, online being friends of mine!

I hope you all get what you wish for, come Christmas morning! And to all...a good night!
Merry Christmas Bill! Spent part of Christmas day at Frank's adding to the arsenal. Very festive atmosphere.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Same to you, Mike. I heard he was open today...very cool of him.
I've been obligated to take my neighbor out again (yes, Mike...that one).
The conditions are not conducive to a bite after 9:30am so I'm going to take him into the cutoff at sunrise and try to find him an early redfish. Oh the things we do during the season of giving....

Old 12-25-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
Same to you, Mike. I heard he was open today...very cool of him.
I've been obligated to take my neighbor out again (yes, Mike...that one).
The conditions are not conducive to a bite after 9:30am so I'm going to take him into the cutoff at sunrise and try to find him an early redfish. Oh the things we do during the season of giving....
Well....all I can say is, you're a better man than I am, Charlie Brown.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:23 PM

Took my 70 year old neighbor, Fred fishing today. (Insert sigh here)

We took a live blue crab from my canal trap and quartered it out in the same Myakka Cutoff creek where I caught my last slot Redfish. I cast it under the mangrove and handed it to Fred.
He hooked up and did a decent job reeling him over until the fish started to make a run.
I told Fred to get up and circle the boat so the line stayed clear of the outboard. He handed me the rod and said, "take it". This thing was a bull. I got him next to the boat and we got a good look at him. Biggest Red I've ever seen in person. Well over slot size, likely mid 30s inches. Beautiful golden red scales.

The fish made a last run under my hull and rather than knock Fred overboard, I held my position and tried to bring him back by grabbing the leader. Stupid decision. Gone. I didn't have my good net and didn't think about using my lipping tool and that cost us the fish. Que sera, sera. Would have had to release him anyway but what a great photo it would have made.

Lost the last 3 crab quarters by casting too many times trying to get under the mangroves. Sigh.
Tried the live shrimp we brought but they produced none. The only redfish is catch are on crab, cut Ladyfish or gold spoons.

Later cruised up to Don Pedro island for lunch. I landed a short flounder. No other fish all day. Took the Mako flats up the ICW to Lemon Bay and came back via the Gulf. Nice flat day in the open water.

I'll be off the water for about 10 days now. Big trip with co-workers planned for the 19th of January. Hope it's more productive than today.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 AM

Default Kids' perspective

Floated around the East Wall flats yesterday with the grandkids looking for trout. Ran into a huge school of ladyfish, and the kids pulled them in until their arms fell off, along with a couple of mackerel for dinner. Since we had gone looking for trout, I was a little disappointed, but as I popped up the power pole in near-darkness for the run home, the kids declared it "the greatest fishing day ever". There's nothing like grandkids to tune up your perspective.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Floated around the East Wall flats yesterday with the grandkids looking for trout. Ran into a huge school of ladyfish, and the kids pulled them in until their arms fell off, along with a couple of mackerel for dinner. Since we had gone looking for trout, I was a little disappointed, but as I popped up the power pole in near-darkness for the run home, the kids declared it "the greatest fishing day ever". There's nothing like grandkids to tune up your perspective.
Great report. What fun that is! I bet you had bloody decks. Hope you froze a few of those for cut bait. Reds can't resist cut Ladyfish pitched under a mangrove on an incoming tide.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:21 AM

114 posts, read 172,698 times
Whereabouts on the east wall, south, north?

What were you using to catch the lady fish?

Definitely save some for cut bait!

Sounds like a fun day, despite the lack of trout.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:09 AM

[quote=Dukenyc;32812972]Whereabouts on the east wall, south, north?

What were you using to catch the lady fish?

Definitely save some for cut bait!

Sounds like a fun day, despite the lack of trout.[/QUOTE

Started just north of the Pirate Harbor channel and worked our way north. Using mostly live shrimp, although we caught them on Silly J*** too. The new Bay Slayer popper outfished everything else, although I think I could have put a hook in a flip flop and been successful. The freezer is loaded with the day's results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte